Sony Charges Third-Parties for Selling DLC

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Sony Charges Third-Parties for Selling DLC

A recent, unannounced fee on publishers offering downloadable content over the PlayStation Network has third-parties considering pulling their extras from Sony's online store.

Discretely starting last October, Sony started its "PlayStation Network Bandwidth Fee", a 16 cents per gigabyte fee for any content provider on the PlayStation 3's online store. Free content is charged only during its first 60 days online, while all paid content is continually charged for every gigabyte of data downloaded for each product.

Three publishers confirmed to MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/03/20/sony-now-charging-publishers-for-ps3-downloadable-content/] their unhappiness with Sony's recent policy change. This charge is in addition to the six-figures publishers must pay for developing demos that tend to have file sizes well above one gigabyte. The potential cost difference between an Xbox Live demo and the PlayStation Network could be an extra $160,000, discouraging companies from spending the extra couple hundred thousand to simply deliver an online demo.

"It definitely makes us think about how we view the distribution of content related to our games when it is free for us to do it on the web, on Xbox Live, or any other way - including broadcast - than on Sony's platform," said one source. "It's a new thing we have to budget. It's not cool. It sucks."

Sony refused to comment specifically on the policy, stating, "Appreciate the opportunity to jump in here, but we respect the confidentiality of our business agreements with our publishing partners. Of course we work closely with them to bring their amazing content to our growing audience, and we are focused on ensuring we, and our publishing partners, have a viable platform for digital distribution. We foresee no change in the high quality or quantity of demos and games available on PSN."

Another publisher worries that a lack of recent download data will cause a financial shock to companies when they get their bill from Sony. "It's like leaving your phone off the hook for a long distance call," the source explained. "The meter is still running."

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
You know, this just seems bizarre.
Sony is a business, out to make money. No doubt. But is this really good business practice? And that's a legitimate question! Does Microsoft charge like this?
With no price drop on the PS3, this charging of developers, and that harder-to-use-then-the-norm development tool-set, you wonder what the heck Sony is doing? I'm not a fanboy. The PS3 is a fine system. But this just seems like a slow, but sure, alienation of customers and developers.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Ouch.

I mean, Microsoft is no angel on this and takes a cut from sales but at least they're up-front about it, not, "Surprise! Extra charge!" And that PSN is ending up more expensive than Live for developers just when the PS3's titles are ramping up nicely...

I repeat, ouch.

-- Steve

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
Soo, the xbox charges the users and the ps3 the developers, this is interesting to watch from a spectators point of view and is begining to make me think Sony thought about their online 4 free service.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
GoldenShadow said:
MS charges the customer instead
Yeah, less then 5 bucks a month. Man, that's so much money.
I'd rather pay the paltry $4.62 (approx) a month and have developers release demos without penalty (So demos are actually released more often), then play for free and have less content.

While I will admit (Before Dingo jumps in) that this isn't happening right now (Content that is, it's pretty even), this can easily become a deterrent for developers whose budgets aren't what they used to be.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So basically, Sony want to close PSN but don't have the balls to admit it, so they're going to price the content makers out of the market. Interesting.

Deathsong17

Feb 4, 2009
Catkid906 said:
Is this the reason I don't have my Fallout 3 DLC on my PS3? :mad:
No, Microsoft used their bags of money to strike an exlusive DLC deal. Unfortunately (I have PS3 version too).

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
They keep burying themselves deeper and deeper.
It's kind of like they are trying to copy nintendo's "screw it we'll do it our way", but not making nearly as much money from it.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Onmi said:
fix-the-spade said:
So basically, Sony want to close PSN but don't have the balls to admit it, so they're going to price the content makers out of the market. Interesting.
No, basically they want to earn more cash from it but don't want to charge the players for it. It's called 'Looking after your User-Base [b/]and fucking up PSN in the process'[/b]
Fixed

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
Man, Sony is just intent on destroying itself..

Not a day goes by that they don't give me another reason for being glad I haven't bought any of their junk.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Baby Tea said:
GoldenShadow said:
MS charges the customer instead
Yeah, less then 5 bucks a month. Man, that's so much money.
I'd rather pay the paltry $4.62 (approx) a month and have developers release demos without penalty (So demos are actually released more often), then play for free and have less content.

While I will admit (Before Dingo jumps in) that this isn't happening right now (Content that is, it's pretty even), this can easily become a deterrent for developers whose budgets aren't what they used to be.
(HA! You were expecting Indigo weren't you?)

Yeah, paying $5 to have people scream in your ear about being a homo is definately quality service.[/cynic]

While $5 isn't that much, why should you have to pay extra just to play your game even more? You buy a $60, with a few addons maybe, but they're telling me that I have to pay even more money just to get the actual "full experience"? Screw that.

Though for this system, I'd still assume that most of the money goes to the developers because, after all, they are selling it. Part of the money goes to Sony for hosting it and part of it goes to the creators.

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes here, so whatever happens just happens or whatever or something, I dunno. I'm just really tired of Sony doing shit and people giving Sony shit and shit being given to Sony and sometmies Sony giveing this shit, so really really don't care what happens anymore.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Jumplion said:
Though for this system, I'd still assume that most of the money goes to the developers because, after all, they are selling it. Part of the money goes to Sony for hosting it and part of it goes to the creators.
Oh no! It's...THE JUMP! (Dun dun duuuuuuuun)

But seriously, I don't think Sony is a bad evil company, but they do do some things that make me scratch my head in bewilderment sometimes.

Also, I don't mind paying for XBL. It's a good service, and I enjoy it. I'm not claiming it's superior or anything of the sort. I'm just saying I don't mind.

As for the part I quoted, I'm not sure that's the case (Money to developers, that is). The article didn't mention any such 'kick backs', and if they did happen, I'd imagine they all goto 1st party development, not 3rd. Which still makes is a bit of an issue. I suppose it's possible, but then why not just have a smaller charge, that way the developers would just be paying the fee to get it hosted?