BioWare: Mass Effect 2 Will Be a "Shooter RPG"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare: Mass Effect 2 Will Be a "Shooter RPG"

Mass Effect [http://masseffect.bioware.com/] was hardly an exercise in introspective contemplation but BioWare says it's cranking up the action even higher in the sequel so gamers will see it as a true "shooter RPG."

Third-person shooter sequences were a major component of Mass Effect and the game often felt as much like an over-the-shoulder shooter as it did an RPG. Some gamers criticized the gunplay as awkward and unintuitive, however, leading BioWare [http://www.bioware.com] to "amp up" the action in the sequel.

"There's a few bigger buckets of things we're working on," BioWare Co-Founder Ray Muzyka told IGN [http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/966/966963p1.html]. "One of them is the intensity of the action, amping that up so people will see this as a shooter RPG... It's going to feel like shooter fans are going to have a great experience."

I thought the action bits felt great, at least in the PC version of the game, but on the other hand, random planetary exploration was a huge disappointment. Fortunately, Muzyka reiterated that BioWare is working to improve that aspect of the game as well. "Exploration, we're still trying to tighten up that experience," he continued. "It's still optional and there's still uncharted worlds that'll be optional, but we want every single one of them to feel like they're adding something important to the main storyline. So you feel, yeah they're optional, but I feel like I really want to do that."

BioWare is more able to focus on improving gameplay in the sequel, according to fellow co-founder Greg Zeschuk, because the fundamental technical hurdles of the development process were all overcome in the original release. "The great thing about a sequel is you start from the point where you know everything works, you know what the good and the bad things were," he said. "The key thing is, when you're working on a sequel like Mass you start from day one knowing most of the answers. And then you know what your faults were and you can address those specifically."

He said one of BioWare's "big objectives" for Mass Effect 2 was to go through reviews and user feedback to determine what worked and what didn't in the first game. "We made a list of the features that reviewers and fans and internal people, all whose opinions we respect, thought were really important to make the game better," Muzyka added. "Then we added a bunch of cool **** on top of that."

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
Oooh, I am looking forward to this. I'm always in a lucky position, in that I start playing something (in this case, I started playing Mass Effect in January) just before the sequel is announced.

Hang on - what's that picture from? I know it's from ME2, naturally, but what's it a picture of? Intriguing!

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
As long as they don't ditch the awesome dialogue system they can make the combat as "actiony" as they want.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Mhhh seems like they are moving even further away from RPG territory. Can't say that I'm surprised though, with the target audience and their previous success and all.

They should definetly improve the exploration and item depth. No need to discard more RPing elements just for it to feel like a shooter.

Mr.Bubbles43

Jul 23, 2008
This got me slightly more excited about the game, I hope they really did fix all the sub par elements because the first was great fun.

nimrandir

Oct 30, 2008
Let me preface this by saying that Mass Effect is one of my all-time favorite games.

Regardless, if they remove the ability to pause the combat and issue commands in order to please shooter fans, they had darn well better tighten up the friendly AI. Watching Liara try to lift a crate while Ashley dumps dozens of rounds into my back is still one of the most immersion-breaking moments I have ever experienced in a game.

Nohra

Aug 9, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
As long as they don't ditch the awesome dialogue system they can make the combat as "actiony" as they want.
I liked not seeing the entire dialogue on my side before I hit my answer (unlike some other games), but it did leave a few things ambiguous as to how the other side would react to them. It'd be beneficial if they had a bit more clear indicator of how your target will respond.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Nohra said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
I liked not seeing the entire dialogue on my side before I hit my answer (unlike some other games), but it did leave a few things ambiguous as to how the other side would react to them. It'd be beneficial if they had a bit more clear indicator of how your target will respond.
I like to phrase it as whatever dialogue you select, it's translated into the unique voice of the character, making things much better than a game where you choose ALL the dialogue. It made it feel more like I was "roleplaying a character" and less like I was just choosing words on a screen.

rawlsku

Jan 4, 2009
Shooter RPG? Sounds a little FO3ish to me :b But as long as it takes the best sides out of ME and FO3, I'll be happy

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Allow me to be diplomatic: As things are they can only get better! :D

Okay, maybe it's not THAT bad, and if they just change it up so I don't have to shotgun every single enemy 20 times in the face to drop them I'll be happy. Hopefully they'll write a decent story this time too.

edit: Oh, and they do get points for giving the protagonist a voice, even if I question their choice of pumping the male voice actor full of Valium before every recording session.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
I don't think shooter RPGs really work. In both ME and FO3, the actual gunplay felt less polished while the RPG elements lack depth, which was sacraficed for that needless dialouge system. In ME, the only stats to really care about was your weapon choice, your armor choice, accuracy, and health. I hated the ability system. Nothing breaks the flow of a shooter game like pausing mid fight to select an ability. So I ignore those stats. I also don't understand why accuracy is a stat. Aiming is something a player actively does, not a stat like health. What Bioware needs to do is tighten up the gunplay while adding more stats and numbers to add RPG depth, and make insane mode fair and no enemies that have invincibily abilities.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
I'm looking forward to this: the combat was some of the best I've seen in an RPG, and working on it can only yield good results. Just so long as they fix the exploration part, too.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Mass Effect 2 will no doubt be great. It's made by Bioware after all. =D

Hopefully there will be a lot more customization options as well. Almost all female characters looked the same.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Jedi Knight as a full-blown RPG would probably work. I wonder why people feel RPGs must have a leveling system :/

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
I hope that the pc version matches the pc version of the first. As always, the computer outdoes the consoles for bioware games.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Any word about the elevators? I hope they make them 30% slower! j/k

Seriously though, I enjoyed the shooter + RPG aspects so I think I'll really enjoy the sequel. I just hope they improve the inventory system a great deal; that was a big annoyance if you didn't manage it constantly. I hope they don't cut back on the amount of planets you can explore because of trying to add unique content to each one.

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
This can mean either one of two things- 1) They are making the action sequences such as shoot-outs between your squad and enemies more FPS-like while still keeping the same cinematic nuances and character dialogue trees like the first one had, or 2) They are making the action sequences such as shoot-outs between your squad and enemies more FPS-like while getting rid of all of the cinematic nuances and character dialogue trees and making it more like a straight FPS game.

Basically number 2 would be like taking System Shock 2 and distilling it into a more user-friendly and faster paced game.... oh wait, they did!
It was called Bioshock >_>

Well, you get what I am saying.