Gaming Implicated In Colorado Shootings

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Gaming Implicated In Colorado Shootings

Last October Stefan Martin-Urban attacked a carful of strangers in the town of Grand Junction, Colorado. Now authorities in the area are suggesting that videogames may be to blame.

Martin-Urban shot and killed Terry Fine and Floyce Gallagher and wounded Fine's wife Linda as they prepared to leave for a weekend break to Las Vegas. Floyce's husband Michael, who miraculously escaped the attack uninjured, said that Martin-Urban's face was devoid of emotion as he opened fire on Gallagher's car. Martin-Urban pursued Gallagher as he raced the injured Linda to hospital, wounding a neighbor who came out to see if he could help. Martin-Urban later took his own life when he was spotted by police.

After the attack, investigators picked through Martin-Urban's bedroom, looking for some kind of motive. They quickly realized that Martin-Urban had no prior connection to his victims, and left no journals, notes or diaries. Martin-Urban had no criminal record or any history of psychotic behavior, and the only thing they could find that gave them any insight into his mental state was his computer.

Apparently Martin-Urban spent an inordinate amount of time 'playing games where the object is to kill and steal', even spending a family vacation holed up in a hotel playing games while his mother and sister went sightseeing. Speaking to the Denver Post [http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_12015270?source=commented- ], Sgt. Tony Clayton of the Grand Junction police theorized: "It could be that he was simply acting out a part in a video game. Maybe he had interjected himself into a game in his mind."

Sgt. Clayton said of Martin-Urban's behavior, "In the last year, he had no friends. No boyfriend. No girlfriend. No pets. He was consumed with the video games. He spent an enormous amount of time playing them."

The picture that is painted by Sgt. Clayton is that Martin-Urban was an isolated individual with emotional issues and an obsessive personality. His father committed suicide in 2007 and among favourites on his YouTube profile was a video from a cult that prophesied the arrival of alien beings. It's easy to see why such an individual would lose themselves in games, but to suggest that the games were the cause seems to be mistaking the symptom for the disease.

Source: via GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/03/28/video-games-get-blame-colorado-shooting-spree]

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
"Maybe he had interjected himself into a game in his mind"?

Come on, even he must know that's speculating of the highest order, and shouldn't even be trying to pass it off as a provable theory.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Ah, yes, the one talking about the emotionless killing machines that are WoW warlocks...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
nilcypher said:
It's easy to see why such an individual would lose themselves in games, but to suggest that the games were the cause seems to be mistaking the symptom for the disease.
I think you hit the nail right on the head.

I won't say that video games aren't entirely blameless in this situation. He could have very well been set off by Counter-Strike or something. But to suggest that video games are the sole or only cause of this is ludicrous at best.

Video games, just like any other media, have the potenial to be harmful and put negative effects in its audience. But the thing is that it's not the only reason nor is it the most prominent of other reasons.

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
Damn it. The media ALWAYS blames video games. How many news articles are on the Escapist that are very similar to this? It's always the video games. These make me want to go on a murderous rampage or something.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Say Anything said:
Damn it. The media ALWAYS blames video games. How many news articles are on the Escapist that are very similar to this? It's always the video games. These make me want to go on a murderous rampage or something.
I've written three articles on the subject in as many weeks, I can tell you that much.

MrMisfit

Apr 8, 2008
Stories like this always piss me off. I spend plenty of time playing and it has never given me the urge to hurt,maim,or kill anyone. This kid was probably just really messed up. Why do some adults feel the need to blame video games for problems that have existed long before video games even existed.

llewgriff

Feb 12, 2009
I'm honestly not surprised that video games are blamed but due his other problems I hardly think that video games are to blame, they may have given him some training. God knows the first time I brutally murdered someone I learnt if from a game, I blame the CIA mind rays for my murderous tendacies though.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
This is about as surprising as the sun rising in the morning. I mean come on, if this Sgt. Clayton is right then the kid clearly had problems. These kinds of people should be sectioned before they can get anywhere near a firearm. Or a console for that matter.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
The Meta news:

Police: "We don't know what caused it"

Jack Thompson jumps out of the woodwork and into bed with Fox News Man (OH YEAH!): "GAMES DID IT! I TOLD YOU, I WARNED YOU, OH HOW I TRIED AND YOU MORALS FAILED ME! NOW THE STAR BORN ONES SHALL CONSUME US ALL!"

Police after 10 minutes work and feeling lazy: "Games made him into a cold killer!"

Rodger

Jan 27, 2009
Wow. Games certainly seem to be getting more finger pointing than usual lately. I wonder if THAT has anything to do with this suddenly coming up in a case from last year. Honestly, I want to see a murderer found to have been playing Tetris or Peggle frequently. I'm dying to see what kind of leaps of logic they'd make to point the finger at games then.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
My brother plays... WoW... OH GOD! HE'LL KILL US ALL!!!

It's just bullshit. First it's Marilyn Manson's music (Seriously, pop music is more likely to send me on a murderous rampage.) then it's games. What next, violent movies? Oh hey, I might be on to something here. Someone call Freud.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Odd thing...I'm wondering if it's been good old fashioned ageism at work this whole time? I mean, when we read stories like this, the first things that pop out at us is that the primary targets are games/music/roleplaying games etc., and yet at the same time the people who commit these acts described are all in their teen years.

It's almost as if it doesn't matter why a teenager would do such a thing, after all, there's always a something to be found, but underneath all that seems to be the idea that, because the person in question isn't an adult, that they therefore have reduced mental capacities and have to have been influenced by something, and at this point is where the accusations are forwarded against the popular scapegoat of the day.

And amongst other thing in the story, that bit about the guy's father committing suicide, oh, that's just completely incidental. No effect on him whatsoever, it's them durn games!

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Wow I live in Grand Junction and I haven't heard about this...
I really, really hate it when video games are blamed. However if you are in a broken household I could maybe see how this could happen.

AlexTheBucket2112

Mar 26, 2009
Jarrid said:
AlexTheBucket2112 said:
I think the kid was messed up. Not the game.
Of course he's messed up, but "suburbanites murdered by son of man that committed suicide and believed in aliens" doesn't sell as many papers as "violent video game player kills couple" or something along those lines.
lol yeah.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
nilcypher said:
Say Anything said:
I've written three articles on the subject in as many weeks, I can tell you that much.
And to that I say BULLSHIT! Where's the VG industries propoganda? They should be all over this saying Videogames aren't to blame, why won't any of the companies stand up for themselves? The Cigarette companies sure didn't bend over and take it, and they -actually were- killing people.

We get 1 story per year about Videogames as a teaching tool and 600 about them being Ikeman trainers. Oh yes, I just Godwyn'd it.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
*YAWN*

Oh, wow, another of those "video game killings", how exciting! NOT!

I wonder when people will stop to care, finally. I did. Video games are the scapegoat of the decade, as violent moves, pot and metal music were in the day. It will pass, and personally I can't wait...