Noby Noby Boy Creator Denies Drug Use

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Noby Noby Boy Creator Denies Drug Use

At GDC 2009, Keita Takahashi - the man behind virtual LSD trips Katamari Damacy and Noby Noby Boy denied he'd ever used drugs. That's right, folks - his special kind of insanity is completely natural.

If you've ever played the wonderfully strange roll-em-up Katamari Damacy - let alone the completely bizarre Noby Noby Boy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5796-Review-Noby-Noby-Boy] - you're probably aware that the mind of Keita Takahashi is a strange and wonderful place.

While the prevalence of mushrooms and strange multi-frond plants in the Kotaku [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpI5uI6bMm0]. "Please, don't worry about me." Apparently, he's that crazy all on his own.

Beyond refuting any allegations of drug use, though, Takahashi's talk revealed that while the man might indeed be totally nuts, he's ... also sort of brilliant, in a way. The two often go hand-in-hand, to be fair. Some of the man's quotes as reported by Kotaku are just ... well, I really have no words.

[blockquote]On Noby Noby Boy's design: "I wanted to show an ironic point of view about our consumption-based society. But I wanted to make more objects. If [the game] were empty, I would feel empty or lonely. When I made Katamari Damacy and objects were rolled up into a ball, they were gone. I felt empty. I feel this way about our disposable society."

On unforeseen Noby Noby Boy development: "I wanted to create a game where even the developers couldn't see what was coming. Of course I wasn't thinking about debugging at this point. The people who did the debugging asked me what was a bug. I couldn't answer that."

On users versus players: "Hiyao Miyazaki, the film director, says that children today are not playing, they're consumers. I think that's true. In Japan, people who play games are called 'users.' I think games should be played. Perhaps it's minute, but that bothered me. We just throw around the term users and that bothers me."

On workplace violence: "People who come to the company call them users and that makes me so mad I want to bonk them! Sometimes I think they should die."

On sales: "Maybe I should make sure that Noby Noby Boy should only be available on PlayStation 3 and only available by download. That way, maybe it won't sell that much. It's only been available for a month or so, but I was right! It's not selling that much. That's probably not a good thing."[/blockquote]

Honestly, I'm kind of flabbergasted. I also kind of want to buy that guy a drink - even if he wouldn't accept it. Those are some of my favorite quotes, but they aren't the only ones - check out the rest over at Kotaku, if you're interested.

What can I say? The dude's a genius. A completely insane genius, but a genius nonetheless.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Hell, Frank Zappa has never done a drug in his life. That didn't stop him from making an album called Burnt Weenie Sandwich and having it be AWESOME.

Nov 28, 2007
I have a feeling that if he makes this stuff up while sober, being drugged would just turn him into an accountant or something mundane.

BloodyOne

Mar 23, 2009
Oh wow. If he denies it himself, I believe him. I thought he must be crazy to begin with to have created Katamari Damacy.
Once again, weird stuff is stemming from Japan.
I would get it, if I weren't a broke student.
You know, he might be a Visionary, and only be Jack Black crazy. Meaning, the EPIC kind of crazy.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Genius

CantFaketheFunk said:
[blockquote]

On users versus players: "Hiyao Miyazaki, the film director, says that children today are not playing, they're consumers. I think that's true. In Japan, people who play games are called 'users.' I think games should be played. Perhaps it's minute, but that bothered me. We just throw around the term users and that bothers me."

[/blockquote]
Seriously awesome genius

CantFaketheFunk said:
On workplace violence: "People who come to the company call them users and I that makes me so mad I want to bonk them! Sometimes I think they should die."
Slightly worrying genius

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Hell, Frank Zappa has never done a drug in his life. That didn't stop him from making an album called Burnt Weenie Sandwich and having it be AWESOME.
Stop stealing what I was going to say!
I kinda want to see him on drugs though, wonder what it would be like...

ChaoticLegion

Mar 19, 2009
Hmmm.... seing him on LSD would indeed be interesting if this is him without any narcotics in his system xD

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Of course he can't admit to it. Weed and Shrooms (what I suspect he's into) are much more illegal in Japan than they are in the states.

He's saying don't worry about him? If he's really NOT on drugs, I might worry; but I'm not convinced.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
It's always the most intelligent and creative people that don't do drugs. As they don't need to. Frank Zappa was already mentioned but let's not forget about Mike Patton.