UPDATE - Sony to Make Announcement Tomorrow?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
UPDATE - Sony to Make Announcement Tomorrow?

Industry giant Sony is rumored to be planning a major announcement tomorrow: Naturally, people are expecting a price cut for the PlayStation 3.

Hey, have you heard? Gee golly whilikers, that Sony PS3 sure is expensive! I bet Sony is going to cut its price any day now! Yep, any day now - just you wait!

It's the same old song-and-dance: Sony's big, glossy PS3 is in last place worldwide for this console generation, partially due to its high price - which, combined with a lack of early exclusives, led to a poor reputation that might not be entirely well-deserved at this point. So, naturally, analysts have been predicting a price cut for the machine for months on end, even after SCEA VP Peter Dille effectively told everybody to get bent [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90209-Sony-to-PS3-Detractors-Go-Sell-Razor-Blades].

But what's this? Sony is being rumored to make a big new announcement tomorrow, Tuesday March 31st. While the news reportedly came from SCEA, UK reps were unable to confirm or deny rumors, reports CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=212055]. Of course, saying "no comment" isn't necessarily indicative of anything - it's the standard response whether a rumor is true or a hoax. If a company flat-out denies when something is false, then saying "no comment" automatically marks a rumor as having validity.

While it's hard to imagine a significant Sony announcement being anything other than a price cut for their console, there are a few other options. For one, Sony could finally be ready to talk about the major industry trade show [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89866-David-Perry-Calls-Out-Sony-On-PSP-2] seems kinda counter-intuitive, no?

Furthermore, it was only last week that Sony revealed it was willing to compromise on the PS3's price point by back in January [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90414] that the company would lower the 80GB PS3's price by $100 in April.

With all the information, we can't really definitively say that the announcement won't be a PS3 price cut, true. We also can't definitively say that the announcement won't be a surprise revelation that Sony is actually a race of mutated lobster-men who are trying to conquer the surface world via subliminal messages in their videogames. Personally, I'd put those odds at about 50/50.

Update: Nope, it's not a PS3 price cut. In a statement to Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/30/sony-has-no-plans-for-a-ps3-price-drop-calls-rumors-false/], Sony confirmed that it had no plans to slash the price of the machine anytime soon, and certainly not tomorrow. As the Joystiq piece points out, though, he didn't say anything about a drop in price for the aging PS2.

It's possible that this was all a misunderstanding and/or rumormongering. Or, it's possible that there is still an announcement planned for tomorrow - but whatever it is, it won't be about a cheaper PS3.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Im beting on DLC for Killzone 2

Just to show all those price cutting analstys up. But since sony are losing money on it at this price, price cuts are just going to damage them even more. And the 360 will still be cheaper, and has much better games, and i own neither console.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
lets hope it's a web browser update or something we all want for the ps3 ,custom avatars , stop asking to run plug in , fix freezing issues , maybe even something cool like a price cut but that's too late for me , and maybe a stand alone hard drive

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Considering the rate Sony are cutting features, the PS3 needs a price cut, badly.

Maybe they've been taking advice from 3-D realms? PS3 Price Forever...

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
With all the information, we can't really definitively say that the announcement won't be a PS3 price cut, true. We also can't definitively say that the announcement won't be a surprise revelation that Sony is actually a race of mutated lobster-men who are trying to conquer the surface world via subliminal messages in their videogames. Personally, I'd put those odds at about 50/50.
They could be Lizard people...

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
I hope it's PS2 games for sale on PSN Store.
I think it's a price cut or the PSP2 tho.

Inurdaes

Mar 25, 2009
Nintendo Wii costs 400 dollars. Xbox 360 60 GB costs 400 dollars. Playstation 3 80 GB costs 688 dollars.

Xbox 360 wins.

And even if the PS3 dropped it's price to 300 dollars, I would still buy the 360. Sony lost this generation.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Gladion said:
johnman said:
Im beting on DLC for Killzone 2
Hasn't that already been announced?

Personally, I'd say they will reveal the PS4 ;)
Hehe I can see it now: "It has Yello-ray!!!! SUPER REALISTIC GRAPHICS!! 120 tb of HD space and most important part no backwards compatibility with the former versions! And only for the small price of 800 dollars! Controllers are sold seperatly! Expect good games 3 years after console release!"

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Wow, these got shot down fast! [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/30/sony-has-no-plans-for-a-ps3-price-drop-calls-rumors-false/]

You might want to update this news story!

darrinwright

Oct 1, 2008
My proposal: Backwards-Compatibility comes back, in addition to a PS2 price drop.

Think of it. Other than the price, the biggest gripe has been no backwards-compatibility. The PS2's still selling like gangbusters. Putting compatibility back in via a patch or something would make the Ps3's library HUGE. They could pitch it as (literally) the only console the consumer would ever need, since it already plays PS1 and 3 games, and "now with PS2 capabilities!"

They could also shill the $99 PS2 as an alternative to buying the PS3.

Price drop? No. My idea? I hope.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Maybe they'll announce plans to do more frequent firmware updates.

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
They're finally releasing the two-HDMI, three-gigabit Ethernet model they announced back in '05? ]:}

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Gladion said:
Personally, I'd say they will reveal the PS4 ;)
If the PS3 is selling so 'poorly' due to it's price, why would they work on a more expensive console?

Onmi said:
I... WUH?!?
Yeah, probably better off ignoring wannabe fanboys.

I doubt Sony will be announcing anything remarkable (a nagging voice in my head is hoping they would announce it plays Blu-rays, then the internet laughs.) If I had to wager a guess I'd say they were taking a page from Microsoft's book and charging for internet use, although judging from the elegance they handled the Third Part Devs with I doubt they would announce it rather than just enacting and not telling anyone.

Sony is giving me the impersonation of price gaugers. Since they own the Blu-ray format and have no serious undercutting competitors (Samsung's player is only slightly cheaper,) they can set the pricing standards for it. Of course, if cost of production is really as high as they claim, then it's surprising it's cheap as it is now.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
I actually quite like the way you put up this article, it goes on about what the PS3 faces and what peole want without taking any form of bias I can pickup or any expectations at all.

Good jub boddy.

Of course everyone wants the PS3's price to drop, but Sony is losing enough money as it is. In the stolen words of ElArabDeMagnifico, "Even if the PS3 as $20, people would complain" as supported by this quote;

Inurdaes said:
Nintendo Wii costs 400 dollars. Xbox 360 60 GB costs 400 dollars. Playstation 3 80 GB costs 688 dollars.

Xbox 360 wins.

And even if the PS3 dropped it's price to 300 dollars, I would still buy the 360. Sony lost this generation.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I don't see how they can cut the price, they were already loosing money on each console, right? Cut it any more, and even if they sell like hotcakes, they'll be deeper in the pit than ever.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
I don't see how they can cut the price, they were already loosing money on each console, right? Cut it any more, and even if they sell like hotcakes, they'll be deeper in the pit than ever.
How well do hotcakes actually sell? I've always wondered that...