The Escapist Show: Episode 22: Atlus

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Episode 22: Atlus

This week we visit Atlus USA for a look at Devil Summoner 2 and Super Robot Taisen OG.

This week's musical guests:

Ian Dorsch [http://www.willowtreeaudio.com] - "Escapist Show Theme"
Alec Harrison [http://www.redshiftstudios.ca] - "Reload"

Watch Video

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Awww you didn't ask them about another dodgeball game. (my favorite for the game for the Advance) Overall pretty cool seeing some of their other projects. I am especially looking forward to that new ds game.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
Atlus guys look like a friendly bunch, but is it just me or do they seem a bit "nerdier" compared to other developers seen on this show? It's probably because they target niche markets (like me, ha ha ha).

George Palmer said:
This week we visit Atlus USA for a look at Devil Summoner 2 and Super Robot Taisen OG.
Super Robot Taisen OG is a 2002JP, 2006US RTS-RPG that has a lot (or rather everything) to do with Japanese mecha.

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier is 2008 action RPG that is more like a fanfiction of the original generation series (SRT OG), which in turn was a kind of fanfiction based on part of the cast (the "original" characters) of Super Robot Taisen (SRT) series, which also was a kind of fanfiction on the whole Mecha genre of Japanese anime. Are you still with me? Good.

So, can you imagine fanfiction of fanfiction of fanfiction about anime with giant humanoid robots, made into a game by professional developers, with high production values? This game is it.
Mind boggling, isn't it?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Devil Summoner looks too good.
I'd use a different word. Devil Summoner 2 *looks* atrocious. I mean, P4 had some last-gen graphics, but at least it had enough style to make up for it. DS2 just doesn't look right. It'll be a good game, I have no doubt, but it really does look awful.

bikeninja

Oct 4, 2007
What? Not a single mentioning of Disgaea? I wouldn't know Atlus existed if it wasn't for those games!

Rodger

Jan 27, 2009
Huh...Devil Summoner looks interesting actually. I wasn't that interested at first but maybe I'll give it a shot.

Was already planning to get SRW:OG:EF. Getting one of the actual Super Robot Games would be nice but unfortunately the best we'll ever get is the OG games. Noticed they slipped in some footage of Steal Princess and Devil Survivor at the start too. I wonder if it makes me a geek to have noticed that...

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
bikeninja said:
What? Not a single mentioning of Disgaea? I wouldn't know Atlus existed if it wasn't for those games!
They only published the first one, Disgaea isn't an Atlus franchise, it belongs to Nippon Ichi Software. Hence why they wouldn't mention it.

letsnoobtehpwns

Dec 28, 2008
If your still in California, come to Newport Beach. It's a short drive from Irvine and it's one of the most beautiful places in the world. Just stay out of Costa Mesa!

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
I have to get on my ass and finish the first Devil Summoner game before the new gets here.

Both games looks pretty spiffy though.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Keane Ng said:
Devil Summoner looks too good.
I'd use a different word. Devil Summoner 2 *looks* atrocious. I mean, P4 had some last-gen graphics, but at least it had enough style to make up for it. DS2 just doesn't look right. It'll be a good game, I have no doubt, but it really does look awful.
I don't think so at all, but I still play PS2 (hell, PS1) games and still think they look great, so I'm weird.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
"15 year ago people just really din't know what they were missing out on"

*A large-breasted woman flashes across the screen while her tits jiggle*

Apparently not too much

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Brotherofwill said:
"15 year ago people just really din't know what they were missing out on"

*A large-breasted woman flashes across the screen while her tits jiggle*

Apparently not too much
I was about to post something similar ;)

I do think they're correct in that they've made something better out of the original product. The dialog in for example P3 is clunky enough as it is, but at least it's bearable to some degree. Gods... I can't even imagine how it would be if the translation had been more "faithful" to the original script D:

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
By the way have you ever held a real conversation? note how clunky the 'dialogue' is from person to person? yeah thats because what we consider more 'natural' when critiquing IS unnatural.
...That's your defense of the script? That it's closer to a real-world conversation? You can't be serious...

First of all its not. Much of the dialog is directed against an unseen onlooker; a hamhanded kind of exposition. Having "realistic" dialog in a game or movie would make it complete unbearable. You'd have to include stuttering, giggles, having to repeat the same sentence because someone in the group wasn't listening, people talking over and interrupting each other and possibly the person who actually has something important to say... It'd be like sticking the blooper wheel and retakes into the normal runtime of a movie.

What's the point in defending the mediocre? I'll say the same thing for any western rpg or just games in general with bad writing. If the dialog is bad it can be improved, and there's good reason to try.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I was pleasently surprised by Atlas, recently. I mean, when I first heard of them, they had just released this FF: Tactics wanna-be with the MOST god awful voice acting I've heard in years (though, the game play was OK). It left such a rancid taste in my mouth, that I was most hesitnat in picking up Persona|FES 3 and Persona 4. Thankfully there was a store return policy, and I got them for a good price.

Persona 3 has been eating most every free minute I've had. Good tunes, cheeky characters, and a complex system unique to any RPG I've ever played before. After that's done, I have Persona 4 to work through. If it's anything like part 3, I will have new respect for Atlas. Maybe even pick up a new title or two. Depends. :)