Mass Effect 2 Speeds Up Elevator Rides

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Mass Effect 2 Speeds Up Elevator Rides

BioWare is working on a new system for loading in Mass Effect 2, which hopefully means we can say goodbye to awkward minute-long elevator rides with Wrex.

Aside from featuring one of the more publicized elevator rides [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/80900-EA-Responds-to-Mass-Effect-Report-on-Fox-News]. These rides, which were used to mask loading times, sometimes lasted nearly a minute. Being so drawn out, they replicated the real world awkwardness of standing in a metal box with someone you know but don't really know for longer than is comfortable pretty well.

But people play videogames to imagine themselves as badass space soldiers doing cool things like shooting rifles, not as badass space soldiers waiting for an elevator to finally get to their floor. BioWare's more than aware of this, and they're trying to fix it for Mass Effect 2. Asked by MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/03/31/bioware-answers-your-questions/] what they were improving for the sequel, BioWare's Ray Muzyka said that they were working on "small things...like reducing the elevator speed times."

Maybe Muzyka was joking or maybe he literally means that elevator rides will be shortened. Either way, the developer is working on new loading solutions that'll make ME2 a smoother experience. "We have a completely new system to handle transitions between areas that speeds the load times and turns the loads themselves into part of the game experience," executive producer Casey Hudson said. "It's one of many points of feedback we've heard and directly responded to in enhancing the gameplay in Mass Effect 2."

Guess you'll have to find somewhere other than the elevator to get to know your squadmate Wrex. Maybe ask him out for a cup of coffee or something?

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Guess you'll have to find somewhere other than the elevator to get to know your squadmate Wrex. Maybe ask him out for a cup of coffee or something?
So long as it isn't hot coffee.

*shudders*

confernal

Feb 5, 2009
But that was the time I used to yell out my window at the nebiours dog fights....

Lord Harrab

Jun 24, 2008
You know, i found the Elevator rides rather funny, all they needed was the god-awful elevator music that some buildings have.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
confernal said:
But that was the time I used to yell out my window at the nebiours dog fights....
Eurgh, the horrors of neighbours dogs. I like to slam my window shut very loudly. I also like to think they pick up on the hint when they probably don't give a shit ^^

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I didn't think they were that big a deal. They were even funny sometimes when your squadmates had conversations. I'd rather Bioware not expend the effort on trivial things and focus on more important stuff, like, maybe, the gameplay?

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
April fools?

They won't get rid of them, they are as much as a staple to the series as Ashley's behind.

I would have liked them if they had a bit more conversation, often they were just silent and odd. Elevator rides...now that's what I call entertainment!

*goes and plays Scrabble*

Nexus424

Master Of All That Is Frosty
Dec 26, 2008
Lord_Panzer said:
Keane Ng said:

*shudders*
Awww why?

On another note those elevator rides were actually quite interesting depending on who was in the elevator.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
ThaBenMan said:
I didn't think they were that big a deal. They were even funny sometimes when your squadmates had conversations. I'd rather Bioware not expend the effort on trivial things and focus on more important stuff, like, maybe, the gameplay?
I agree. I actually found the elevator sequences humorous, when you're desperately trying to save the galaxy.

[cue dramatic music]
"Let's go, we have to stop Saren from reaching the conduit! The fate of the universe depends on it! Quick, down that elevator!"
[cue elevator music]
"So...umm...yeah."
*One minute later*
[Elevator door opens]
"Alright, let's go!"
[cue dramatic music]

anguaji

Jul 22, 2008
the only ride that annoyed me was the loadtime in the lift in your own ship to the engineering bit.

other than that, i didn't feel they got in the way of the gameplay though. i must be the most patient gamer in the world... i'm like the gamer equivalent of your grandma, who doesn't care what the movie's like, she just marvels at the cinematic spectacle of it all... :}

Nova Tendril

Apr 1, 2009
anguaji said:
the only ride that annoyed me was the loadtime in the lift in your own ship to the engineering bit.

other than that, i didn't feel they got in the way of the gameplay though. i must be the most patient gamer in the world... i'm like the gamer equivalent of your grandma, who doesn't care what the movie's like, she just marvels at the cinematic spectacle of it all... :}
Yeah that lift was painfully slow. At least with the Citadel you got to listen to the news.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Lord_Panzer said:
Keane Ng said:

*shudders*
At least he won't be able to get you pregnant. Well, maybe he can but the odds are pretty against him.

Jul 9, 2008
ThaBenMan said:
I feel the same way. Hell they actually made good use of some of them, using them to give you side missions.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I loved Wrex. I fully enjoyed those elevator rides. I don't see what everyone's problem with them is. But then again they were never that long for me.

Nova Tendril

Apr 1, 2009
orannis62 said:
ThaBenMan said:
I feel the same way. Hell they actually made good use of some of them, using them to give you side missions.
Yeah I don't mind them keeping the conversations in, but sometimes after these conversations the elevator still takes forever. Just shorten the length of that awkward silence.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I played the game a lot, and I don't remember the elevator rides being that long. Almost a minute? Really? I can't imagine they'd be more then 15 seconds or so...but maybe my memory isn't what it was.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Lord_Panzer said:
Keane Ng said:

*shudders*
He DOES have four testicals...