159: The Dealer Doesn't Play

whindmarch

Jul 9, 2006
The Dealer Doesn't Play

"I thought it would be different. We had an Organized Play guy at White Wolf Game Studio whose job consisted, in part, of arranging tournament events all over the world for the Vampire collectible card game. He'd be gone for weeks at a time, living off his per diem, refereeing official tournaments with cash prizes and drinking scotch instead of eating food. He came back one time with a decorative mirror from Romania, painted with a vampire theme as I recall, and a T-shirt that said 'Never Leave Hungary.' That's what I thought it would be like to play games for money."

Read Full Article

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Why aren't we supposed to talk to him about Zepplins? Zepplins are AWESOME!

Anyway, very interesting article and very telling about writing pen and paper RPG's (something I myself think I want to do). It was very informative.

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
Your article has left me in the grip of nostalgia for events I didn't participate in. Ah, Gencon... I can't believe I haven't been more times than I have.

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
Long summer, no Dice rolling sessions... *sad face*

Can't wait to try my hand and being the front man with 4th ed. Wish me luck!

BTW Vampire is fun, but everyone I knew that played was far to angsty. Maybe that's just the allure :/

Feb 13, 2008
TheKbob said:
BTW Vampire is fun, but everyone I knew that played was far to angsty. Maybe that's just the allure :/
Hell yeah. :) Anyone who doesn't go all Vincent Price/Christopher Lee just isn't getting it.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Not True, I've known people who've done some pretty rediculous/non-angsty Vampire games, never played in one myself though.

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
Wraith was more fun. I wasn an awesome shadow! ...Or maybe I just enjoy breaking down a master's degree student until she's in tears...

Feb 13, 2008
Thais said:
Wraith was more fun. I wasn an awesome shadow! ...Or maybe I just enjoy breaking down a master's degree student until she's in tears...
Ooh, Wraith was fantastic. All you need is a Trick of the Light.

whindmarch

Jul 9, 2006
The reason you want to avoid talking to me about zeppelins is that I just will not shut up about them.

Truly, Wraith was one of my favorite storytelling games back in the day. It's been quite a while since I played it, but I have fond memories.

Thank you all for your kind words.

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
Hmmm...too bad that's not one that could ever translate effectively to an RP board.

Iuchiban2525

Apr 25, 2008
Zepplins? Ya' see, you need to be more careful when picking disadvantages. "Fascination: Zepplins. Yeah, when's THAT ever going to come up?"

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Thais said:
Hmmm...too bad that's not one that could ever translate effectively to an RP board.
Well...I've done it before...and into a freeform LRP.

Shadows talk in PM's
There's a PM utility on this board?

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I can't believe I didn't read this until now... I did the demo-monkey thing back in my day, too. Takes me back... wish I'd had a chance to hijack a session, though I suppose the time I tried to demo a tactical game at GenCon to three guys from Fort Bragg (and, after three turns of learning the rules, having them wipe the floor with me) might count.*

-- Steve

* not a catastrophe by any means. They each bought copies, and apparently came back later to buy more for their "friends". I do wish I'd kept notes of their moves, though.

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
Thais said:
Thais said:

Shadows talk in PM's
See that envelope next to your name? :)
*slaps forehead* See how much/little I pay attention?

Feb 13, 2008
Thais said:
Thais said:
Thais said:

Shadows talk in PM's
You never did pay attention though. Not even at school. Not even when the girls looked your way. If it wasn't for you, I could have been something, but now you're dead. :)

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
Thais said:
Thais said:
Thais said:

Shadows talk in PM's
You never did pay attention though. Not even at school. Not even when the girls looked your way. If it wasn't for you, I could have been something, but now you're dead. :)
I am one of the girls.