"Social Hackers" On The Rise

Feb 13, 2008
"Social Hackers" On The Rise

According to Trend Micro [http://us.trendmicro.com/us/home/], an internet security firm, more than 40% of teens are "social hackers".

The idea of a hacker as being a solitary geek in their parents' basement has long been pushed to one side, but the new generation of hackers probably wouldn't know a shell script from a sea shell.

The "new" idea of "social hacking" is that many social details are on view via social networking sites such as Facebook. A competent social hacker can find information which tends to give away security question answers. So that rather than rummaging through dustbins for passwords, social hackers simply rely on their Google-Fu. [http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=google-fu]

According to the survey undertaken by Trend Micro, thirty percent of 12 to 18 year olds have also been tempted to socially hack for money, and some have even been approached by cyber-criminals. (They're the one's carrying the hard drive marked Swag, by the way.)

The "social hackers" are still split by gender though. Boys are twice as likely to go for the profile assassination, while girls are three times more likely to go straight for the PayPal.

Rik Ferguson of Trend Micro said, "It's the online version of kids breaking into school to change their reports, it's just so much easier now."

It does sort of take the fun out of sneaking into school in the middle of the night, though. Allegedly.

(Image) [http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveynin/2536574111/]

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
"social hacking"? whats next "social pirating"? i swear kids find new and innovative ways to commit crimes en masse.

Mar 31, 2009
To some people that is like social murder I regular a site where hacking is a big deal, because we are all big anime geeks there.

Kazturkey

Mar 1, 2009
30%? That's a statistic the researcher made up. There is no way 30% of internet users under 18 are asked to hack someone.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Yeah, I seriously doubt that high number as well. That's almost one third - impossible.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Kazturkey said:
30%? That's a statistic the researcher made up. There is no way 30% of internet users under 18 are asked to hack someone.
He says 30% were TEMPTED to do it, which is a bit more believable.

Frankly, I'm surprised kids nowadays would posses enough logic to do such a task.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Lord_Ascendant said:
"social hacking"? whats next "social pirating"? i swear kids find new and innovative ways to commit crimes en masse.
Isn't that just the pirate party.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
Load of shit. That's all I can say. That entire study is completely worthless and will be forgotten within a week, if that long.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Every girl I know just loves to "hack" Bebo profiles. My sister actualy attempted to teach me how to fuck with Bebo and see deleted messages, but I was beyond uninterested.
I've never heard of someone trying to hack a PC or get someones Paypal, though. That must be one of the things you crazy americans do.

Captain_Caveman

Mar 21, 2009
who actually inputs their real info into the net?

i mean ive heard all sort of crazy stories about students & even cops getting in trouble because of posting stuff on myspace/facebook/etc.. but i mean, seriously; what % of profile info is real? probably something like 3%

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Captain_Caveman said:
who actually inputs their real info into the net?

i mean ive heard all sort of crazy stories about students & even cops getting in trouble because of posting stuff on myspace/facebook/etc.. but i mean, seriously; what % of profile info is real? probably something like 3%
on facebook and such, probly 97% of the info is correct, a LOT of ppl put their real info in there

Lord_Ascendant said:
actually "social engineering" is as older than cracking itself, it's been used by investigators and such for many years. it's probly the easiest way to get somoene's password, i've always said i can guess passwords in about 20 questions that is if they don't use password or variations there of for their password