Harmonix Slip Confirms LEGO Rock Band?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Harmonix Slip Confirms LEGO Rock Band?

Harmonix seems to have been planning to announce the oft-rumored LEGO Rock Band at GDC, according to an early draft of a slideshow presented by Harmonix senior designer Dan Teasdale.

As far as rumored LEGO games go, LEGO Harry Potter has to exist. It'd make too much sense (and money) not to. LEGO Rock Band, though? That's always seemed a bit far fetched. What would Rock Band gain from just making everything LEGO-ized? Still, the rumors have never really gone away, and they may have some genuine credence: by the looks of things, Harmonix were planning on announcing it at GDC.

The confirmation comes from an early draft of a Beatles: Rock Band [http://dantdesign.blogspot.com/2009/04/gdc-slides.html][/I]) on the 2009 end of the timeline is the word "Lego."

Furthermore, a later slide includes a placeholder image for a project "to be announced before or at 9 AM Friday," as well as a note in which Teasdale refers to an unannounced title that he will be showing at GDC. Seems like pretty darn conclusive evidence to me, unless it's all some elaborate ruse designed to make us all look like idiots.

Teasdale's slideshow also makes mention of a number of unannounced Guitar Hero titles, specifically referring to a Guitar Hero: VH and a Guitar Hero: BH. How exactly Teasdale knows what Activision is up to aside, VH would probably mean Guitar Hero: Van Halen, but BH? I'm not really sure about that one. Bass Hero? Baha Men?

[Via Kotaku [http://www.giantbomb.com/news/lego-rock-band-collabo-confirmed-by-gdc-slide-snafu/1066/?linktags=home,home-news]]

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Keane Ng said:
How exactly Teasdale knows what Activision is up to aside, VH would probably mean Guitar Hero: Van Halen, but BH?
Uh...Buddy Holly?

hannahdonno

Apr 5, 2009
No. Just no. I am sick of seeing games in Lego. It is the most pointless thing ever. It is BRICKS for Christs sake. BRICKS.

A video game based on BRICKS.

Am I the only one seeing the insanity here?

It just seems they are being lazy with their pixels.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
hannahdonno said:
No. Just no. I am sick of seeing games in Lego. It is the most pointless thing ever. It is BRICKS for Christs sake. BRICKS.

One of the most addictive games ever created [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris] was entirely based around bricks. Just because something is brick-ish, I wouldn't put it down.

I have a dream that our games can one day exist in a world where they are judged not by the quality of their graphics, but by the enjoyability of their content!

Not that Lego games necessarily have good content...I haven't played one since Racers on N64.

hannahdonno

Apr 5, 2009
Krakyn said:
hannahdonno said:

One of the most addictive games ever created [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris] was entirely based around bricks. Just because something is brick-ish, I wouldn't put it down.

I have a dream that our games can one day exist in a world where they are judged not by the quality of their graphics, but by the enjoyability of their content!

Not that Lego games necessarily have good content...I haven't played one since Racers on N64.
Yes, but to bastardise and simplify the graphics of a perfectly good game, just to turn it into Lego. Imagine playing Rock Band in Lego form... we would all be playing Casio Kid and Britney Spears, watching Lego people playing BRICK guitars. I'd rather scoop my own eyeballs out of my skull with a spoon, just to save myself from the graphics.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
The BH means Band Hero, though why, seeing as GH: World Tour is already a band game. It's even weirder when it shows GH 5 coming up as well.

On LEGO Rock Band, the DLC better be transferable. I want to see a LEGO Guy singing BYOB. This does seem like it should be an optional extra for Rock Band though, not a whole new game.
Band Hero, oh yeah, that.

I prefer Guitar Hero: Baha Men.

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Wouldn't Baha Men be abbreviated "B.M."?

Which brings up a whole host of other ideas for what "GH:BM" might stand for... ;)

Anyhoo, I'm with those who look at this and say: "Why?" All I can think is maybe, maybe, if they market it as a "kids version", pre-package it with a bunch of kids' songs. They could (read: should, had better, if they don't I'll never buy anything from Harmonix again, etc.) make the content cross-compatible (they've released kids' and teens' songs for Rock Band already, for which as a parent I'm grateful).

I'm just not sure what else they could add to really set this version apart. Build-a-stage mode maybe? (My kids might actually like that, although building a rocker is hard enough with a guitar controller; I couldn't imagine trying to do that with a whole stage.) More kid-friendly options like no-fail mode? (Like what? I have no idea.)

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
The BH means Band Hero, though why, seeing as GH: World Tour is already a band game. It's even weirder when it shows GH 5 coming up as well.

On LEGO Rock Band, the DLC better be transferable. I want to see a LEGO Guy singing BYOB. This does seem like it should be an optional extra for Rock Band though, not a whole new game.
Exactly my thoughts. Nuff' said.

Psypherus

Feb 11, 2009
If this game actauly came out, I'd wait for it to be like $20-$30 then buy it just for the novelty of it.

Mogule

Mar 17, 2009
Random ideas BM could stand for:

Barry Manilow
Baha Men
Blue Men (group)
Blind Melon
Black Metal

Mogule

Mar 17, 2009
Cliff_m85 said:
Mogule said:
Random ideas BM could stand for:

Barry Manilow
Baha Men
Blue Men (group)
Blind Melon
Black Metal
Bowel Movement
It's BH, not BM.
DAMN LIFE!!!

Well in that case...

umm...

Damn, I've got nothing. Thanks for crushing my hopes of a GH: Black Metal. I'm gonna go cry in my emo corner now...Damn, have to make an emo corner now.

terribleyetfun

Jan 9, 2009
so now Lego has stopped making serious movie franchises laughable and has now started making game franchises laughable while that would be kinda cool if they did it with a franchise like manhunt or halo or duke nukem (god knows we need at least one duke nukem game this century) but rock band why would you even need to do it you already look stupid enough playing regular rockband now people will probably look even more stupid.

On a side note wonder how long this will take to get released in Australia.