Review: The Godfather II

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Review: The Godfather II

The Godfather II lets you act like a mobster but think like a don. Being bad has never been so good.

Read Full Article

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Russ "Viper" Pitts strikes the character creation options again!

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Hmm i may actually have to pick this up now.

I did love Scarface on the Wii, and who the hell doesnt want to be the don?

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
It still makes me sad that people felt the need to make a game out of one (in this case, two) of the greatest films of all time. Why can't they just leave well enough alone and come up with their own stories?

This is kind of the opposite of the "SotC being turned into a film" debacle. The only difference is that a Godfather game does have a chance at working, but it still annoys me.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Hmmmm...did you pick Dominic's appearance or does he naturally look like you Russ? :)
Yeah, I picked that. You can customize pretty much every aspect of the main character's appearance. My Mass Effect guy looks like that, too. I like to go "all the way" with the immersion bit. :)

UltraBlumpkin

Aug 1, 2008
Good review Russ. I haven't read any of your game reviews before, but I'll make sure to check them out from now on.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
sirdanrhodes said:
Should I watch the movie before actually playing the game?
I can't imagine why you would need to, but they're great films, so why not?

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Nice review.

I myself found this game somewhat enjoyable. That said, I can see how it would irritate fans of the movie.

Socdk

Nov 12, 2008
That's the corniest Don I've ever seen! :)

Deciding for or against getting this game shouldn't really be that hard. Honestly, this is one of those games where - what you see is what you get. If you like sandbox type games where with mafia themes and loads of violence, explosions, killings, cops 'n robbers, then you should definately get it. If you have always hated these games then don't. However if you're not totally sure about these types of games, have enjoyed some and hated others, I think it's worth a stab. The mini-strategy aspects of being the Don really adds volumes (imo). I adds some variety so you don't end up getting bored by just... running around kicking ass all the time.

GRAB IT!

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Honestly, is no-one else bothered that EA actually made a series of games milking based on the Godfather series? No-one else here think this is pretty low? Francis Ford created arguably the greatest movie series ever, and now EA are using it to peddle games which( no disrespect to Mr Pitts) all other reviews I've read agree are pretty iffy.
I love this question. Thank you for asking it. You raise a really good point about media consumption and brand identity.

For my part, I worship the Godfather films (Parts I and II. Part III does not exist.) I watched both of them for the first time back-to-back about 10 years ago and my mouth was hung open the whole time. For me, those movies redefined the art of filmmaking and remain some of my favorite pieces of creative work of any kind.

Did The Godfather II game establish itself as a similarly seminal piece of art? No. Absolutely not. It's a dumb, fun game that kind of screws over the license in some ways, actually. But it's still fun and I actually enjoyed it a great deal.

I think I look at licensed properties like The Godfather II game in the same way I'd look at Batman: The Dark Knight pajamas. Batman: The Dark Knight was a great film that inspired me in a number of ways. The pajamas, however, are just comfortable clothes with a logo on them. They do what they set out to do well and have a loose association with a media property I love, and so are slightly cooler than normal pajamas as a result.

The Godfather II did not blow open my mind to the possibilities of an art form the way the films did, but, like the pajamas, it does what it sets out to do well and is slightly cooler than other open-world games owing to it's association with a familiar brand.

UltraBlumpkin

Aug 1, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
Should I watch the movie before actually playing the game?
If you want to know how the story actually goes, then yes. It's a great movie series, you should check it out.

Yes, even the third! =D