Realistic GTA Cop Car Mod Irks D.C. Police

Michael Grimm

Feb 23, 2009
Realistic GTA Cop Car Mod Irks D.C. Police

Wahington D.C. police have requested that YouTube remove gameplay videos of a GTA:San Andreas mod that depicts realistic squad cars from the precinct.

The video in question features a modder's realistic re-skins for police cars in the game, replacing their fictional paint jobs with true to life ones from D.C. area police precincts. Police vehicles from Prince William County, Montgomery County, and Fairfax County are represented.

With the country still recovering from the recent rash of police homicides it's no wonder the D.C. police have suddenly taken offense to the five month old video. Spokesperson Don Gotthard said: "The Fairfax County Police Department finds the videos in very poor taste, one of the reasons we find it in poor taste is because of the way the officers are depicted." Near the end of the video, a re-skinned character resembling a police officer opens fire into a group of pedestrians.

YouTube has not yet responded to the Fairfax County Police Department's request to remove the videos in question.

While certainly tasteless and ultimately pointless, the mod is a product of a lone individual tinkering with the game's code and serves little purpose other than to fuel the fire of anti-videogame proponents. Whether the video is actually viable for removal from the site seems a little fuzzy, as it does not appear to directly violate any of YouTube's user guidelines.

Source: <a href="http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Grand-Theft-Police-Logos.html"
target="_blank">NBCWashington.com (Via gamepolitics.com)

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
It's like a Holocaust joke - not offensive except to a select group.

...THIS HAS BEEN A ROUSING STATEMENT FROM CAPTAIN OBVIOUS
CAPTAIN OBVIOUS: ALWAYS ON DUTY
AND I AM HIS SIDEKICK, PROFESSOR DUH
PROFESSOR DUH SECONDS CAPTAIN OBVIOUS

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
scotth266 said:
MaxTheReaper said:

Wait, hold on now. How come you get to be a professor but I'm just a captain?
And a captain of what, exactly? Do I get a ship?
Really? I am pretty sure most people would find a holocaust joke offcolor...

I have to admit, those police cars do have a pretty sweet paint job though.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Eh, this doesn't violate anything. Just someone mad at something they don't like, yet in this country we can't just "look away" for some reason when it's something as arbitrary as this.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
scotth266 said:
MaxTheReaper said:

Wait, hold on now. How come you get to be a professor but I'm just a captain?
And a captain of what, exactly? Do I get a ship?
You are Captain... of the UNIVERSE!
I'm just the dude that stands beside you saying profound things about how awesome you are, and make a neat gizmotch every once in a while.

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Off-colour, perhaps.
But would you be personally offended by one?

Oh, also, I just read your motto, and I am pretty sure it gave me stomach cancer.
You should be careful where you leave your puns.
I left my puns right where I intended to.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
In other news, all impressionists banned worldwide for looking or sounding like other people then creating humour about them.

reminds me of the law brought into the UK that you can no longer photograph a police officer, which as someone said, made his brother's wedding difficult as he's a policeman.

I know when I got 'The Getaway' for PS2, my mate was amazed by it, being able to drive around London, to his old guitar shop, and just mess around in the capital that he knew so well.

It's just an extra perk, if you can make a game closer to your own experiences, it makes the game better. I'm sure skinning a police car wasn't done to offend any policemen, just out of love for the game.

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Eh, this doesn't violate anything. Just someone mad at something they don't like, yet in this country we can't just "look away" for some reason when it's something as arbitrary as this.
I was thinking the exact same thing. What exactly is it that they find so offensive? Somebody wanted a game like DC so what? if I could I'd make a "Wichita,KS" GTA mod. Hell I could try to incorporate Derby too.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
gee aren't the cop cars in gta sa based on lapd cars ,and gta4 based on nypd cars ? ... anyway they should spend less time online and playing games and eating doughnuts , go out and protect and serve