The Cinematic Art of Wrath of the Lich King

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The Cinematic Art of Wrath of the Lich King

Every now and then, we get sent cool stuff - like awesome books. The Cinematic Art of 'World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King' [http://www.amazon.com/Cinematic-Art-World-Warcraft-Wrath/dp/1933784814/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237822141&sr=8-1], is one of said awesome books, with tons of concept art for the Lich King intro.

If there's one thing that Blizzard is known for, it's making relentlessly addictive (and awesome) games. But if there are two things that Blizzard is known for, it's making relentlessly addictive (and awesome) games and having some of the best pre-rendered cinematics in the industry. Remember the Terran-Zerg battle on the abandoned space station? Or Tyrael battling the forces of evil deep inside the crypt? What about Prince Arthas' betrayal of his kingdom and family? Yeah, that's what I thought.

So imagine my pleasure to see a book all about what goes into making one of these cinematics arrive here in our office the other day. The Cinematic Art of World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King is being published by Insight Editions [http://insighteditions.com/], in a limited run of 40,000.

I've always been a fan of concept art books, so getting a book filled with stunning artwork from sketches to detailed studies to full matte paintings, and a little glimpse of what goes on behind the curtain at the Blizzard Film Department was pretty damn nifty indeed. I'm not alone in thinking this - Escapist Senior Editor Susan Arendt spent quite a while leafing through the book, and I'm not sure she's ever played a Blizzard game. The artwork is simply gorgeous here.

It's also interesting to see some of their canned ideas, and the scraps that might have been before they settled on the current design (for example, I'm looking at a piece of concept art for a version of the eponymous Lich King with the helmet organically fused to his head - obviously, not what the BFD decided to go with). It isn't just art, either - there's plenty of information on the creative process and what actually goes into making a cinematic beyond "put pretty pictures into computer / ???? / Profit!"

If you're one of the 11.5 million currently hooked on WoW, a fan of one of Blizzard's other games, or you just like books filled with really cool concept art, this might be something worth checking out.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I fall into the latter category, I hope I can still find one when I gets more munneys. I'm a sucker for good art books.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
galletea said:
I fall into the latter category, I hope I can still find one when I gets more munneys. I'm a sucker for good art books.
It's actually only $30, which is pretty damn cheap for something like this.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Question Funk!

Is the art in the book consistently as good as the cover?

If yes, in the Amazon basket it goes.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Is it just the cinematic art or is it more like the one that came with the Limited Edition of WotLK?

fix-the-spade said:
Question Funk!

Considering the value of the art books of TBC and WotLK that came in their Limited Editions then yes theres more awesomeness inside.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Being the kind of guy who ended up buying the Fable 2 strategy guide simply because it came with a concept art book i'll definately be looking into this. Blizzard are like KINGS when it comes to concept art, I'm always left in a suitable amount of awe everytime I look at them, and really, The standard only improved with the development of WotLK So this book must be made on pages constructed of pressed AWESOME.

[quick edit]: Ok, Sod it, Thursday, i'm ordering this bad boy!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
fix-the-spade said:
Question Funk!

Yes.

Yes it damn well is.

oliveira8 said:
Is it just the cinematic art or is it more like the one that came with the Limited Edition of WotLK?

fix-the-spade said:
Question Funk!

Considering the value of the art books of TBC and WotLK that came in their Limited Editions then yes theres more awesomeness inside.
It's just artwork from the cinematic. I didn't get the Limited Edition, though :( But it's really, really pretty anyway.

klarr

Mar 9, 2009
can somone give me a link to some of the pictures. i would love to see some of them. if no then thats ok.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
A limited run of 40,000? But there are, as you say 11.5 million fans. That's .3% of the playerbase covered. Ouch.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
HobbesMkii said:
A limited run of 40,000? But there are, as you say 11.5 million fans. That's .3% of the playerbase covered. Ouch.
Probably more too. Theres other non wow-Blizzard fans that might want the art books too.