The Future of Halo: Web and Mobile

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Future of Halo: Web and Mobile

Halo [http://www.microsoft.com] with a job listing for a software engineer that involves "blending consoles, web and mobile to create an immersive Halo world."

"Do you love Halo? Do online social communities and console video games excite you? Do you love building scalable online infrastructure & websites for large and passionate audiences?" the ad reads [http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?ipath=EXIND&siteid=cbindeed&Job_DID=JB92DK6WM175TX579BP&cbRecursionCnt=3&cbsid=fd5172fa95cc4397b8daf1e7d71e610d-292930270-R8-4]. "We have an ambitious task ahead, taking the current Halo community and online gaming support system and bringing it to the next level."

There's no real indication as to what that "next level" is, unfortunately, but the ad says the successful applicant will be responsible for creating "a great out-of-game interactive experience that takes the next step beyond the systems found in Halo 3." Among the duties will be designing an infrastructure to support "millions of concurrent users" on the service, support for community applications and game titles and building "forums, tournament ladders, media libraries and integrated mini-games."

So what is the Redmond gang up to these days? It was revealed in September 2008 that a Halo-based MMOG in the early stages of development was Quake Live [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86428-Canceled-Ensemble-Project-Was-Halo-MMOG]? Monitoring tournaments and rankings on our mobiles? Whatever happens, it's clear the Halo franchise has a lot of life left in it.

via: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/12/microsoft-job-listing-hints-at-mobile-halo-project/]

Falien

Nov 21, 2008
While I liked the original Halo, after the two hyper-hyped sequels I feel that there's nowhere else for the IP to go that would have the same impact as before. This is an inherent problem when your story includes the badass-hero-to-end-all-basasses who saves the world - there's just nothing more badass for him to do to top his previous badassiness. Throw in the fact that the original game developers aren't involved anymore and you have a recipe for "meh" at best.

I'd say it's time to move on to new IP pastures.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
RAWR *HEADDESK* RWAAAARRRWRRARWRR!

bungie won't make it anymore, and the chief fails to impress anyone anymore, the franchise is dead dammit!

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
What if you made the master chief have pink armor and then go to canada to fufill his dreams of becoming the worlds greatest soldier slash stylist.

williamjg

Jul 3, 2008
Aries_Split said:
What if you made the master chief have pink armor and then go to canada to fufill his dreams of becoming the worlds greatest soldier slash stylist.
I would play that game. but seriously now, i am a 360 owner as opposed to a ps3 player, and even i say let the franchise die already. halo 2,3, and wars were really awful games. please no more. spend the money on a new inovative 360 exclusive that will wow us all.

pointless wishfull thinking. i think halo will go the same way as tomb raider and be continually milked despite the fact their is nothing to be gained.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Aries_Split said:
Would there be flowers on his helmet?

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Aries_Split said:
Would there be flowers on his helmet?
dunno.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Just stop making halo games, don't let microsoft become nintendo

blinkgun96

Dec 15, 2008
iamq said:
i agree let the franchise die it was good for 3 games(if you dont agree thats fine) but they're pushing it too far.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
blinkgun96 said:
iamq said:
i agree let the franchise die it was good for 3 games(if you dont agree thats fine) but they're pushing it too far.

"New from Bungie, Halo Tennis! Play as Master Chief in an epic tale to defeat the evil in a Tennis tournament!"

internutt

Aug 27, 2008
I would like to see how a single game could use these different platforms. Rather than just a Halo game with an online forum you can also check from a mobile.

Medic Heavy

Jul 4, 2008
Why would they let Master Chief die? There still makeing money off of him, and will keep makeing money off of him and his universe until the Halo universe is obsolete ...that or they run out of ideas.

And oh yeah...Halo 3 wasn't that bad. Like the single player experience was mediocre at best but online's a blast.....But really guys can't you all just move on from insulting Halo at every single god damn chance you get? That being said i could understand why you hate Halo 3 and it's predecessors.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
"Integrated mini-games"? They're milking the cash-cow even after what some would say was a premature death. I mean, that just sounds pa-theeeetic.

(Forty percent of the site's traffic will be all me, by the way, so you can send your loading lag woes and complaints my way.)

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Listen to me all:
I am a devout Halo fan, alright I LOVED Halo 1 the same way some people would love their religion. I adored Halo 2 with the same admiration reserved for a child's hero. And I praised Halo 3 like.... someone who get's praised a lot, sorry can't think of what to say here.
It's my right to say I like this series. That being said one thing I don't want to see is one of my favourite brands get swamped by spin offs and recieve more undeserved Ire by the rest of the already biased community. I am a fan of the original trilogy. Nothing more.
I don't want to see the chief the way most see Sonic now, once proud but now ahamed as His great legact has been soiled.
The Halo Trilogy was great, I'd like to keep it that way.

blinkgun96

Dec 15, 2008
iamq said:
blinkgun96 said:
iamq said:

"New from Bungie, Halo Tennis! Play as Master Chief in an epic tale to defeat the evil in a Tennis tournament!"
LOL, lets be fair its not Bungie so much as the MS CEO becoming another George Lucas

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Vrex360 said:
Listen to me all:
I am a devout Halo fan, alright I LOVED Halo 1 the same way some people would love their religion. I adored Halo 2 with the same admiration reserved for a child's hero. And I praised Halo 3 like.... someone who get's praised a lot, sorry can't think of what to say here.
It's my right to say I like this series. That being said one thing I don't want to see is one of my favourite brands get swamped by spin offs and recieve more undeserved Ire by the rest of the already biased community. I am a fan of the original trilogy. Nothing more.
I don't want to see the chief the way most see Sonic now, once proud but now ahamed as His great legact has been soiled.
QF-Frakking-T. Halo Wars was OK, and ODST is still holding my interest, but after that they should let the series end.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Meado said:
Vrex360 said:
Listen to me all:
QF-Frakking-T. Halo Wars was OK, and ODST is still holding my interest, but after that they should let the series end.
Agreed.

ragestreet

Oct 17, 2008
It's strange. I'm torn between sheer immense curiosity on the Halo MMO yet I also feel the urge to smack the franchise over the head with a shovel and light its corpse on fire. Maybe they could pull it off if they gave us highly customizable Mjolnir armors. Maybe!