Take Your Chances on Prison Rape in New Judge Mathis Game

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Take Your Chances on Prison Rape in New Judge Mathis Game

Gamers who just can't get enough daytime television justice will want to keep an eye on Mathis "Detroit" Street Judge, a new game being co-designed by Judge Greg Mathis in which players live the thug life, complete with guns, cars, crime and, apparently, prison rape.

Players will step into the shoes of La-Ron Washington, a convicted felon on the streets of Detroit who received an early release from prison due to overcrowding. But the local mob believes La-Ron is responsible for the murder of a crime boss and wants him dead, and complicating matters further is the fact that he has two strikes against him already. La-Ron must "stay out of trouble, perform community services and avoid negative street influences and temptations."

"I know that the most popular game out there is Grand Theft Auto IV [http://www.rockstargames.com/iv] and I know that a lot of young videogame players like the [virtual] action of criminal activity," said Mathis. "In this game, we're giving them that action and adding the option of living a mainstream, successful life. They have the combination of an action-packed criminal activity, as well as the opportunity to turn their lives around and pursue a level of success, as I did after leaving my background in the world of crime."

Mathis, who says he's a gamer himself and enjoys playing games including Rockstar's [http://www.rockstargames.com] hit Grand Theft Auto IV, said violent games like GTA are here to stay because they let players taste the "glamorous thug life" without actually indulging in it in real life. His idea is to add to that the option of choosing a normal life and the rewards that come with it.

"Giving these young gamers the choice between good and bad through in-game video sequences and narration, the Judge will be the source of reason for gamers," said Matty Rich, Mathis' partner in the endeavor, who's best known for the 1991 film 187 Ride or Die [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102989/]. "The wonderful thing about working with the judge is that he knows the streets, but he also knows what it takes to get out of the slums of Detroit - hard work, education, determination."

Born in Detroit in 1960, Mathis became embroiled in gang life and was arrested numerous times for drug use and criminal behavior. He eventually escaped that lifestyle with the help of a sympathetic judge and family friends, and went on to attend Eastern Michigan University, after which he found employment at Detroit City Hall and eventually became the youngest person in the state to be elected as a superior court judge. He has become well known to daytime television audiences through his Judge Mathis television show [http://judgemathistv.warnerbros.com/].

"The main difference between our game and Grand Theft Auto is that players will have to deal with the justice system and consequences for their actions," Mathis said. Included on that list of consequences is surprise bum sex, which the judge made a point of mentioning as one of the possible downsides of going to prison. ""When you go to prison, you gain credibility when you come back on the streets. On the other hand, when you go to prison you can also be raped. So take your chances," he said. "We may see young people who make the wrong choice and go to prison and are assaulted repeatedly [in this game]."

Mathis "Detroit" Street Judge, the first title being developed by Rich's new company Matty Rich Games, is slated for release at the end of 2009 for the PC, PlayStation 3 [http://www.xbox.com].

Source: Yahoo! [http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/tv-s-quot-judge-mathis-quot-goes-virtual-in-new-shooter-game/1302181]

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I wish game devs would realize that it's not the Criminal aspect of the GTA/Saints Row Titles that I like... it's the open world action and the fact that they are the only games that feature CAR CHASES! Why do no other games feature car chases!

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Hmmm This guy is a genius!

Children buy the game->they kill guys/steal cars/sell drugs in game->get arrested in game->get raped in game->Dont commit crimes in real life!

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I can't wait to spend £40 on getting raped. At least it will be a stimulating game to play, I mean...*cough*

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
This game is going to suck.

It's going to be like one of those really bad Christian games.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
I just hope it for the Wii. Then we can have a motion shiving a person who on the john. Oh what fun.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
<snicker, snicker> This will either be a work of genius, or the worst thing ever conceived.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Ha! Rape! Funny. This guy sounds somewhat smart though. He had me at "...violent games like GTA are here to stay because they let players taste the "glamorous thug life" without actually indulging in it in real life."

Though I don't think that GTA4 was about the "glamorous thug life", the opposite if anything, I like that someone else realizes that if anything, the fact that people are doing violent acts in videogames means that they aren't doing it in real life.

iI don't think I'll be buying this game though.

Simon Hadow

Mar 12, 2009
Oh Your God... this is going to go down face first like a... I honestly cannot find a similie to describe the horrible things that are going to happen with this... or it might be amazing... well, I guess we're playing with dynamite and matches at this point...

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
I suppose this game is more realistic than GTA:IV, though I have thought what happens during athe blank bits when your arrested in GTA

You steal a car=Buttrape
You kill an old lady=Double Buttrape

I can see quicktime events to feign enjoyment. To make it over quicker and long time effects afterwards psychologically seeing soaps dropping from the sky etc

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
Cashing in on celbraty status by including them on the design team speaks of an industry that has run out of ideas, or at least the desire to invest in new ideas. This article makes me sad.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
lacktheknack said:
<snicker, snicker> This will either be a work of genius, or the worst thing ever conceived.
I know, the header description seemed like the worst possible thing by default, but the article itself outlines a touch of demented...something.