Activision Leaves PC Gaming Alliance - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision Leaves PC Gaming Alliance - UPDATED

The Activision [http://www.pcgamingalliance.org/] is no longer a member, a loss that represents a serious blow to the organization.

A couple of members list [http://kotaku.com/5210701/activision-leaves-pc-gaming-alliance] on the PC Gaming Alliance website. When asked, the group revealed that "a few members have decided they cannot justify the budget (membership and staff) required to maintain an active role in the PC Gaming Alliance at this time." Among those "few members" is Activision.

The PCGA still boasts some heavy industry muscle, including said at the time [http://www.microsoft.com]. "Our challenges are sufficiently different from other publishers' issues that we need our own point person," he said at the time.

Is it possible the PCGA could shift its focus exclusively to the hardware side of the PC gaming equation? One of the main complaints about gaming on PCs is the relative complexity of the equipment: Video cards, sound cards, processors and RAM are far more intimidating than the out-of-the-box simplicity of consoles. If the PC Gaming Alliance could address that concern and simplify the process for consumers who just want to pop in a game and start playing it would be a major step toward returning the platform to relevance and might even attract a few of those wayward software developers back into the fold.

We've sent inquiries to the PC Gaming Alliance and Activision and will update when we can.

UPDATE: PC Gaming Alliance has issued a statement in the wake of Activision's departure. "The PC Gaming Alliance is an industry consortium that relies on membership dues to perform its' research," said PCGA President Randy Study. "Several members have determined that in the current economy they cannot justify the budget (membership and staff) required to maintain an active role in the PC Gaming Alliance. This does not reflect negatively on the PC Gaming Alliance charter as we have added more members then we have lost in this period."

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I am a Pc only gamer and have never heard of the PC gaming alliance, anyone care to enlighten me? Should i be concerned about ACtivivsions departure?

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
johnman said:
I am a Pc only gamer and have never heard of the PC gaming alliance, anyone care to enlighten me? Should i be concerned about ACtivivsions departure?
Basically it's a cooperative effort to cement the PC as a platform for gaming. Established I think in '07/'08. Since its birth it has done......nothing.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Sevre90210 said:
johnman said:
Basically it's a cooperative effort to cement the PC as a platform for gaming. Established I think in '07/'08. Since its birth it has done......nothing.
So....it the PC version of the ESA....great....

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Although I'm not sure what exactly they tried to achieve with it,they did do a lot of hype over it with articles printed in PC Gamer, Custom PC, etc.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
1. What? What alliance?
2. Who cares?
3. What was the last good Activision game on PC?

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Abedeus said:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

That is the only decent Activision game ever I believe.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Sevre90210 said:
Abedeus said:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

That is the only decent Activision game ever I believe.
Okay, then ignoring Call of Duty...

Bzzt. Nothing xd

Cptn_Squishy

Mar 4, 2009
Do the Infocom games count? eh...probably not

why the hell doesnt make all infocom game public domain? the only reason that i can think of that they keep them locked up is to prevent anyone else from having them...its friggin ridiculous...

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Btw, Activision is a publisher and owns Blizzard. They get a lot of revenue from World of WarCraft.