Who's the Baddest Sci-Fi Species of All Time?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Who's the Baddest Sci-Fi Species of All Time?

The sci-fi genre has assembled a remarkable rogues gallery over the decades and from across all those years evil, Paste Magazine has put together a list of the Top 11 Villainous Species in All of Science Fiction.

These species represent the worst of the worst, the lowest of the low, the baddest of the bad: Alien races who want to enslave, destroy and/or eat the planet, the galaxy or just whoever they can get their hands on. Leading off the list are the Daleks, the Doctor's most famous enemy, one of which was Stargate SG-1 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89903].

Some of the species on the list are more firmly-entrenched in pop culture consciousness than others but all should be at least recognizable to the average sci-fi fan. I'm a bit disappointed by a few oversights; the sci-fi nerd in me laments the absence of the check it out for yourself [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mote_in_God%27s_Eye] and tell us where they went wrong!

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
flood beat the collosi?

meh im not much of a sci fi fan anyways so i dont really have an opinion other than the games ones :)

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
I might have agreed with the Borg being #1, if Voyager didn't completely nerf them before wiping them out... :p

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
Before I even opened the link to the article I thought of the Goa'uld :D I'm glad The Escapist recognized the correct #1 with the image they chose. Defeating them in Season 8 was the worst thing to ever happen to that show.

I don't know what they were thinking to put the Wraith over them.

Least deserving IMO: Anything mindless (ie flood and reavers). They just aren't that interesting. They kill stuff, we get it. The interesting part, and the true villan, is of course the force behind the mindless ones.

oneplus999

Oct 4, 2007
CyberKnight said:
I might have agreed with the Borg being #1, if Voyager didn't completely nerf them before wiping them out... :p
http://xkcd.com/566/
See the last panels for a solution to this problem :)

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Not even a mention of the bugs (see Starship Troopers)! How can this be! Noooooooo!

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
True, but for Firefly the villains are humans. So it is tough to count humans as another race. All I can see the reason for them being on there even though the rank is debatable. I don't get how the flood get on there since there the space zombies. It isn't even a villain. It just trying to survive. Tough to say that surviving as a count for being a villain. If that is the case then humans are a villain to food. Which doesn't make much sense.

hawklord2112

Apr 14, 2009
nah - got to be the Primes (aliens from Peter F Hamilton's Pandora's Star / Judas Unchained novels. effectively one massive consciousness that wants to be the ONLY life form in existence...)

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Daleks should be higher up the list, in my opinion.

Also, what the hell are the Colossi doing on there? They aren't even vaguely sci-fi!

Ravenschild

Feb 7, 2007
Not only do the colopssi not berlong on there Id put the Mandalorains before the Sith as a race. Yes the sith are nasty...but they havent done the genocide thing to 7 races/species

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
I don't understand the Colossi either. But they should have included the Reapers, in my opinion.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Flood? Really the Flood?

And wait? No Xenomorph, the aracnid from Starship trooper or the Tyranid from WH40k and even the Aliens from War of the Worlds should be in there?

And the colossi? Wtf thats more fantasy than Sci-Fi....

Fail lis is fail...

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
I will also raise the factor of

WHERE ARE OUR BUGS/NIDS!!!!

you could have put the Kilrathi (not sure if i spelt it right) from Wing Comander in XD
if you got captured you either were clawed to death or vapourised with a laser :p

again for those who missed

WHERE ARE OUR BUGS/NIDS!!!!

and for gods sakes the SITH arent ALEINS!!!

Princeps senatus

Feb 12, 2009
That's a debatable list. The sith aren't species, it's more of a religion or a way of life. The Colossi shouldn't even be on that list. Also the Reavers are just mad humans (though extremely cruel).