Sega Wants Valkyria Chronicles 2

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Sega Wants Valkyria Chronicles 2

Ryutaro Nonaka, the producer of PS3-only cult hit Valkyria Chronicles, is adamant about making another Valkyria game. I'd also like to have a pet elephant, but some things just aren't going to happen.

Though it hasn't seen much success in terms of sales, Sega's PlayStation 3 exclusive strategy-RPG Valkyria Chronicles has gained something of a rabid cult following among gamers who enjoy their WWII action alternate history-flavored and colored up in Hayao Miyazaki-esque anime fashion. Not to mention it's supposed to be a new and fun twist on the SRPG formula, but whatever. Kids like anime.

Ryutaro Nonaka, who produced the game, apparently likes Valkyria Chronicles too, and he doesn't just want to go give its fans DLC [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90217], he wants to bring on a full-fledged sequel.

In an interview with Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu translated by PS3 Center [http://www.ps3center.net/news/2692/sega-wants-to-make-a-sequel-to-valkyria-chronicles/], Nonaka stated that he's been thrilled with the enthusiasm that the game's Japanese fans have for the game, and that he's also psyched about the new Valkyria Chronicles anime that's coming out.

The more important thing he said was that, in light of the game's popularity, he'd really like to do a sequel to the game, and has been adamant to Sega upper brass that Valkyria Chronicles not be a one time deal. So, there you go, Valkyria fanboys and fangirls. A sequel could very well happen. If it does, pray it comes to the West as well.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
I hope it's a prequel. You could easily make a prequel that takes place during EWI

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
Seriously, this was a really good game! It surprised the hell out of me because I was starting to believe that RPG's were becoming a fastly STALE genre... and then I play this game. Sure it was a bit RTS-y for some people's taste, and the anime look probably turned some people off but the storyline was both pretty fresh in this genre and surprisingly deep in the content and themes that it explored (Hint: Think of the mistreatment of Jewish people during WW2 and you have an idea of how people think of this game universe's equivilent- the Darcsens).

Utterly beautiful to look, addicting and fun as hell to play, and the RPG elements were relatively light as well. However, not since Metal Gear Solid 4 have I played a game with such a palpible pathos than this game had, it was both fantastical about war and at the same brutally realistic about the trials and tribulations of being in both a war and during some downtime in a warzone.

Really honestly, you people complain about how stale and routine the RPG genre is getting and then ignore something as great as this game- I hate to sound like how Johnathan Blow was towards Space Giraffe (Gamings equivilent to Shakespeare? Hah) but this game is really good and I was really hoping that it wasn't going to go out the way Okami and No More Heroes did..

MrMisfit

Apr 8, 2008
Darkrai said:
I heard the first one was great. Though I lack a PS3 to play it. How was it?
It was an interesting blend of skill and strategy and a lot of fun. If they make a sequel I'm buying a copy.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Time it so it comes out around GoW III so I can buy it when I get a PS3.

My friend got this game and he says it's great, and when I saw him play it a bit, it was simply amazing. They just don't make many titles like this.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Please make another. The first game was my pick of best of 08. I would buy a sequel in an instant.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I would like some moar Valkyria Chronicles plox. I loved it for as long as I've played it, though I havn't played it in a LONG time.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
I resent your tone greatly. I hate anime, and I absolutely adore this game.
Maybe you secretly love it! Admit it!!
He's probably seen the silly, bad stuff. That being said, I'm for more of this: a friend of mine declared this game awesome, and he hands out such praise rarely, if ever.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
scotth266 said:
Keane Ng said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
He's probably seen the silly, bad stuff. That being said, I'm for more of this: a friend of mine declared this game awesome, and he hands out such praise rarely, if ever.
Your friend is correct. But on the other hand, my friends hate this game. They all think it's some stupid game where you play with fairy's.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
That being said, it was a horrible experience that has led me to detest it all.
You know that's like shunning all Hollywood movies after only seeing Gigli, right?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
scotth266 said:
Keane Ng said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
You're actually fully correct. The series in question that fully put me off anime was something incredibly retarded about a guys right hand being in love with him. Yes, it was immature enough to make that joke several times. That being said, it was a horrible experience that has led me to detest it all.
Geh... There's a lot of bad stuff in anime, just like there is in Hollywood. Honestly, give some other stuff a try: it sounds like you wound up with a ecchi or hentai anime, stuff that focuses around being perverted quite a bit. You have to search: there's something for everyone. Honestly, I like FLCL a lot (crazy shit, the first episode is a little hard to get into, but it has some deep themes if you look at it. Also, one of the few animes where the English voice actors are superior in their roles, so no having to read subtitles, if that makes your eyes hurt). Other decent stuff would be Evangelion or Full Metal Alchemist. I'm trying to give you a broad spectrum of good stuff here: it would be helpful if you could list some parameters for me to go on (ie: No random crazy stuff happening, more plot than action, lots of action, scifi or fantasy or RL, yadda yadda yadda).

EDIT: Christ, I remember that one now. That was terrible.