Ten Years Later: Videogames Not Responsible for Columbine

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ten Years Later: Videogames Not Responsible for Columbine

Ten years after the fact, information has finally begun to emerge that Columbine killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold weren't bullied outcasts and that videogames had nothing to do with launching them on their rampage.

On April 20, 1999, the two students at Columbine High School in Columbine, Colorado, embarked upon a 60 Minutes [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbine_High_School_massacre] in the wake of Columbine as a self-professed "expert" on the social impact of games - but ten years after the fact, evidence has been revealed which shows that neither videogames nor any of the other cited "triggers" actually had anything at all to do with their decision to murder their fellow students.

"The killings ignited a national debate over bullying, but the record now shows Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold hadn't been bullied - in fact, they had bragged in diaries about picking on freshmen and 'fags'," according to a report by USAToday.com [http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-04-13-columbine-myths_N.htm?se=yahoorefer]. "Contrary to early reports, Harris and Klebold weren't on antidepressant medication and didn't target jocks, blacks or Christians, police now say, citing the killers' journals and witness accounts."

"At the time, Columbine became a kind of giant national Rorschach test," the article continues. "Observers saw its genesis in just about everything: lax parenting, lax gun laws, progressive schooling, repressive school culture, violent video games, antidepressant drugs and rock 'n' roll, for starters."

But the truth, according to psychologist Peter Langman, author of Why Kids Kill: Inside the Minds of School Shooters [http://www.amazon.com/Why-Kids-Kill-Inside-Shooters/dp/0230608027], is both simpler and far more complex. His studies of ten school shooters, including Harris and Klebold, found that nine of them suffered from the "potentially dangerous" mix of depression and suicidal thoughts. "It is hard to prevent murder when killers do not care if they live or die," he wrote. "It is like trying to stop a suicide bomber."

In the case of Harris and Klebold, they didn't become mass murderers because they were "disaffected videogamers who wore cowboy dusters," or because they were lashing out after years of abuse at the hands of their fellow students, or because years of playing Doom had left them unable to separate fantasy from reality. "These are not ordinary kids who were bullied into retaliation," Langman wrote in his book. "These are not ordinary kids who played too many video games. These are not ordinary kids who just wanted to be famous. These are simply not ordinary kids. These are kids with serious psychological problems."

via: Kombo.com [http://www.kombo.com/article.php?artid=12838]

Feb 13, 2008
The day when Fox News, Jack Thompson or anyone else like that says "Ok, we were wrong" is the day I start believing what they say.
People like Gabe, Tycho, Gygax, and all the rest of the people defending these passtimes admitted when they made a mistake. Why can't the attackers just do it?

ButtonedDownParadox

Aug 11, 2008
Remember how everybody was saying the kid behind the Virginia Tech shootings was obsessed with Counter-Strike?

Turned out he didn't play any video games. I don't know how all this misinformation is allowed to happen. People can just make shit up and if it's on the TV people will accept it.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
Funny thing is, most people I talk to know the same thing. I have an aunt who has never touched a video game, and she says, "Y'know, I just don't think it adds up. Why would playing a game make a person go crazy?"

This comes as no surprise. I'm just glad we've definitively come to the conclusion that it wasn't anyone's fault. Now we can focus on trying to solve the problem.

Apologies Abound

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
From the University of NoKidding, comes another report on things a two-year-old could figure out.

My question would be, who actually thought video games had anything to do with Columbine. Please raise your hand so we can slap you.

They did it with Rock n Roll music, then D&D, then back to music with Marlyn Manson, then video games, and the next scapegoat I believe will be Facebook-style social networking, or the iPhone.
you forgot about the number one cause of school shootings, TV and watching saturday morning cartoons!

Computer-Noob

Mar 21, 2009
How convenient. I had to write a paper and I think this is the perfect topic. Why video games have nothing to do with shootings.

Jul 9, 2008
I know we all know this is obvious, but it's good that there's now at least an official study we can cite in arguments. Still really obvious.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
The day when Fox News, Jack Thompson or anyone else like that says "Ok, we were wrong" is the day I start believing what they say.
People like Gabe, Tycho, Gygax, and all the rest of the people defending these passtimes admitted when they made a mistake. Why can't the attackers just do it?
Because the general public have already forgotten about Columbine and who said what. All they know is the half-assed wild theories shouted out by Jack & co. I doubt any major news outlet will run a story on this as "front page" stuff. Hence, Jack & Co are never held to account by the public. Its sickening really.

Although I was surprised to see they weren't bullied and/or repressed by their peers. In fact, these are probably the same sort of bastards who picked on me when I was in school. Fuckers.

Jan 29, 2009
You know what? This is like how people think steroids will kill you. There were about 3 deaths a year related to steroids, smoking kills many, many more, and yet no one questions or criticizes that. I think violent video games are a way to let out stress, except in the form of virtual bullets into monsters.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Pandalisk said:
It was obvious then, its obvious now
But the world will ignore this, because this harms their ignorant ideas of video games.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
JWAN said:
Khell_Sennet said:
They did it with Rock n Roll music, then D&D, then back to music with Marlyn Manson, then video games, and the next scapegoat I believe will be Facebook-style social networking, or the iPhone.
you forgot about the number one cause of school shootings, TV and watching saturday morning cartoons!
Arguably, the number one "cause" of all mass shootings is TV news coverage of mass shootings. Of course, no TV news coverage would ever report that...

-- Steve