Kojima Wants To Work With Western Devs

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Kojima Wants To Work With Western Devs

Hideo Kojima's admired Western game developers for a long time. Now it sounds like he's gearing up to actually work with them.

Asked by Kikizo [http://games.kikizo.com/features/hideo-kojima-interview-2009-p1.asp] what he thinks of Konami's decision to farm out the development of the latest Silent Hill game to a Western developer, Kojima remarked that he's definitely considering doing the same thing with Kojima Productions, saying he's not "sure when this will happen" but that he's "very interested."

Could we be hearing news of a Kojima Productions US sooner or later? If it were to happen, Kojima guaranteed that he'd have a fairly hands-off approach. All developers, he says, are "all special in some way; they have their unique points, and if we were to team up with them I wouldn't dictate to them...I'd have to really try to help them do what they do best as production studios."

"That's how I plan to do it in the future, and to give them freedom," Kojima said, sounding awfully like he's got it pretty set in stone that he's going to do this in the future.

He's already started doing his research, having gone on a tour of Western studios, though it was mostly for his own education more than anything else. Nevertheless, it seems that the trip was fairly eyeopening for Mr. Metal Gear. "I feel it's time to look outside of Japan. You know - what can we absorb, what can we copy from these Western developers?" Kojima pondered. "What kind of steps should we take as Kojima Productions to change for the better and remain a strong global studio? That's what we're thinking right now."

[Via NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358653]]

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Maybe they can help him keep the game time longer than the cutscene time, and maybe he can teach them to actually write stories instead of flinging keywords like "marine", "alien invasion" and "traitor" into a hat and randomly drawing words until they have a story.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
For anyone with a functioning brain, the stories aren't that complicated. Can't really argue with the overly dramatic part though...

Or the fact he's on a duck.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
Can you imagine him working on half life...oh i cringe at the thought of Gordon Freemans needlessly complicated and overtly dramatic back story...
You guys talk a lot, but would your precious Gabe Newell ride a duck?

I don't think so.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
Dectilon said:
Maybe they can help him keep the game time longer than the cutscene time, and maybe he can teach them to actually write stories instead of flinging keywords like "marine", "alien invasion" and "traitor" into a hat and randomly drawing words until they have a story.
Are you saying he should betray himself?

Anyway, at least he says he will have a hands-off approach to working with Western developers.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
Keane Ng said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Can you imagine him working on half life...oh i cringe at the thought of Gordon Freemans needlessly complicated and overtly dramatic back story...
You guys talk a lot, but would your precious Gabe Newell ride a duck?

I don't think so.
If we saw him doing that, we would burn the pictures and any witnesses. That would just be too disturbing...

Jul 9, 2008
Kangol said:
Well tell him he cant, we wont allow him to slip "Raiden" into any of our games...
That's a crack at MGS2, right? Honestly, I enjoyed it a good deal, I never got what people's problem with it was.

Jul 9, 2008
Kangol said:
orannis62 said:
Kangol said:
Well tell him he cant, we wont allow him to slip "Raiden" into any of our games...
That's a crack at MGS2, right? Honestly, I enjoyed it a good deal, I never got what people's problem with it was.
Please, Lets not, all i have to say is that "Raiden" Is not Solid Snake!
Exactly. The whole Philosophical Warrior thing gets a bit old. Not sure if Raiden was all that much better, but at least he was different.

chomp.

Dec 19, 2008
I don't quite see why he wants to work with the west:

It couldn't be the money, surely he's already indulged enough with his games, they're not exactly tight with their budget

Also, Kojima doesnt really have a lot to learn from western culture or western game development, he seems pretty well versed in it already; he frequently cites many western movies as influences on his work, particularly for the Metal Gear series

And he doesn't really need to introduce his games to a new market; he's known the all over the world already and everyone in the west is going topounce on his new game whether he has it made in Japan or the US

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
And pausing for cutscenes explaining the origins of the crowbar, the hazard suit, the G-man, the combine. And the 1 minute of gameplay later, another 6 cutscenes.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Kojima + Bioware = Game full of dialogue, but with absolutely no combat

So, an adventure game, which would fucking rock.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Yeehaw! This looks to be an interesting thing alright. Bring the East and West together, and something crazy is bound to pop out.