Activision Responds To Scratch Lawsuit

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Activision Responds To Scratch Lawsuit

Activision has responded to allegations that it interfered with the release of Scratch: The Ultimate DJ by saying that there's no evidence against Activision.

And the legal soap opera [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90960] over Genius Products' Scratch: The Ultimate DJ continues. Today Activision released a statement denying any responsibility for Genius Products and Numark's recent problems getting their DJ game on the right track for release later this year.

"Yesterday, the L.A. Superior Court found that there was no evidence of any wrongdoing by Activision and refused to grant any restraining order against Activision," the company wrote.

Genius and Numark alleged that Activision had acquired 7 Studios, the company originally developing Scratch, in order to stall or interfere with the release of Scratch after Genius refused to sell the game to Activision. 7 Studios, Genius claimed, was demanding unreasonable development fees after being bought by Activision, and when Genius decided to take the IP and make the game itself, refused to turn over in-progress builds and controller prototypes.

Activision, however, think Genius is just coming up with excuses. "These allegations are nothing more than an attempt by Genius to place blame for the game's delay, as well as to divert attention from the cash flow, liquidity and revenue challenges Genius detailed in its March 30, 2009, SEC filing," they said.

They also said that their acquisition of 7 Studios has had no negative effect on the development of Scratch, and that they actually helped the studio by providing some much-needed financial support.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
The novelty of music games wore off for me after Guitar Hero 3. I can't say I am happy with what Activision appear to be doing, but legally they are in the clear. I don't think too many people will be upset that the latest edition of musical shovelware has been delayed.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Pi_Fighter said:
The novelty of music games wore off for me after Guitar Hero 3. I can't say I am happy with what Activision appear to be doing, but legally they are in the clear. I don't think too many people will be upset that the latest edition of musical shovelware has been delayed.
Excuse me, but this game was not going to be "musical shovelware". It's based on hip-hop turntableism and is a revival and extension of a play style not seen since beatmania. By the way, beatmania is still very popular in some crowds. Perhaps not yours, but please don't assume that no one will be upset when a game _you_ happen to not be enthused about is placed in limbo.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
Pi_Fighter said:
Excuse me, but this game was not going to be "musical shovelware". It's based on hip-hop turntableism and is a revival and extension of a play style not seen since beatmania. By the way, beatmania is still very popular in some crowds. Perhaps not yours, but please don't assume that no one will be upset when a game _you_ happen to not be enthused about is placed in limbo.
I have no idea what you just said.
Excuse me for not being jiggy with the lingo.
: P