Game Boys Make Going To The Dentist Fun

Feb 13, 2008
Game Boys Make Going To The Dentist Fun

Dentists. The mere word can send shivers up your spine, so think what it does to little kids. Luckily there seems to be a cure, and it involves a Game Boy.

If there's anything that strikes terror into the heart of more people than anything in Silent Hill, it's the thought of that high-pitched whining drill coming into contact with your teeth.

Most dentists (apart from mine) understand this and have long looked at ways to overcome children's natural reaction to getting a tearing instrument of torture next to their nerve endings.

Help may be on hand with the PediSedate [http://www.pedisedate.com/Home.html], developed by Dr. Geoffrey Hart, which connects to any Game Boy or CD player. The Game Boy connects to headphones fitted into the headpiece, which fits smoothly onto the head. Then the child simply pulls the snorkel down and a variety of instruments monitor their breathing and slowly introduces nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to take them off to dreamy land.

Using a similar distraction technique used in the Snow World [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88051] game (for injured soldiers), the child is taken away from the clinical cell and allowed to focus on other things while the anesthetization takes place. This is all done while the machine monitors the child's breathing, something that would normally require a trained assistant, thus saving time and resources that could be used elsewhere.

Of course this does mean that by the time you get to the boss battle, you'll never...quite...get...

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Oh, I thought it meant kids playing Gameboys while going to the dentist to relax.
Instead, a robotic anesthesiologist attached to their Gameboy...
Cool, too bad they didn't have it when I got my fillings.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
This is the first good idea I've seen in a while. And original as well... Although I would be worried about malfunctions.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
This wouldn't work for me. "Laughing gas" just makes me into a near-blind berserker. Seriously. I go completely bat-shit-insane.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Klagermeister said:
Oh, I thought it meant kids playing Gameboys while going to the dentist to relax.
Instead, a robotic anesthesiologist attached to their Gameboy...
Cool, too bad they didn't have it when I got my fillings.
I think mixing drugs with gaming is a bad idea.

Edit:But fun I guess, considering its the dentist.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Ooh, nice idea. Although I don't mind going to dentists at all.

Or orthodontists, mine is awesome! I might be getting braces next year.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Remember kids: Winners don't use drugs! Allegedly.
Just based on your avatar I have to disagree...
How is it that you're still alive with no flesh?

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Mstrswrd said:
This wouldn't work for me. "Laughing gas" just makes me into a near-blind berserker. Seriously. I go completely bat-shit-insane.
Fun fun. Any idea what causes that? It's an interesting reaction.

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
I wish they had had these when I was little, I would have actually looked forward to going to the dentist. It be cool though if the could hook it to a psp or a ds.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
BobisOnlyBob said:
Mstrswrd said:
No idea why it happens, but it's not unique to me. Something like 1 or 2 percent of all people can't be given normal knock-out gas (and the variations). We have to get a weird mix for it to work, or we have odd reactions. My dad and I get major adrenaline rushes, and lose our minds. Other people become uncontrollably weepy, and others can't stop laughing, laughing so hard they hurt themselves (and other reactions).

vamp rocks

Aug 27, 2008
or we could just take a rag and some chloroform? saves time and resources......

lol joking... or am i?

Fists

Apr 16, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Remember kids: Winners don't use drugs! Allegedly.
Actually, Olympic Gold Medalist Michael Phelps has recently been exposed in the tabloids using a "Cannabis smoking devise"

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
Mstrswrd said:
BobisOnlyBob said:
Mstrswrd said:
No idea why it happens, but it's not unique to me. Something like 1 or 2 percent of all people can't be given normal knock-out gas (and the variations). We have to get a weird mix for it to work, or we have odd reactions. My dad and I get major adrenaline rushes, and lose our minds. Other people become uncontrollably weepy, and others can't stop laughing, laughing so hard they hurt themselves (and other reactions).
Make sure to keep a can of this stuff around for the zombie apocalypse.. unfortunately it just makes me cry :p