Swedish ISP Has A Secret Bond Lair

Feb 13, 2008
Swedish ISP Has A Secret Bond Lair

Who hasn't wanted a luxurious underground base filled full of costumed henchmen that work for us as we plan to take over the world? Swedish ISP Bahnhof [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahnhof] has exactly that ... well, apart from the henchmen.

Already dubbed the "James Bond Villain Data Center", the former military bunker lies 100 feet below Sweden. Dean Nelson of Data Center Pulse [http://www.datacenterpulse.com/] recently got a tour of the data center from Bahnhof CEO Jon Karlung and shared this 9 minute video on what has to be the coolest real life "supervillain" base ever.

Most of the center's "unique" designs were based on aspects of Bond films, especially Ernst Stavro Blofeld's S.P.E.C.T.R.E (Special Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion) base, and you can easily see the influence if you've seen the Bond films (or played Goldeneye enough). There doesn't seem to be any pools full of piranhas or sharks with frikking lasers though.

Appearing to be carved out of solid stone, the accouterments include waterfalls, a greenhouse-style network operations center, a glass-enclosed conference room "floating" above the floor, and blue-lit diesel engines. Based around a hydrogen-bomb-proof civil defense center, the base was going to include a "Batman-style elevator" but it proved to be a "bit crap".

Hmm, for some reason I feel like going back to Evil Genius now.

Source: Data Centre Knowledge [http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/04/15/inside-the-james-bond-villain-data-center/] via Slashdot [http://slashdot.org/]

Pohlkat

Apr 11, 2008
Sigh, if only all ISPs were full of as much win as this. Damn you quickstream. You suck. But not as much as rainyday. You guys deserve to be eaten by sharks.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
If I had that amount of money, I would have built it into an inactive Volcano... Actually screw the money! I'm getting my hammer and chisel out!

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I saw this on Slashdot this morning and my jaw hit my desk. This place is amazing. I wish I worked in an office this awesome.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Fools! How dare they let my secret lair be discovered!

Come, minion! To the lair!

*flies away on back of winged monkey*

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Hmmm, must have quite the facility above ground though. Not sure how signals go that well through solid rock.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Pi_Fighter said:
Now all they need is scantily clad female spies...
It's in Sweden, they won't have to look far.

Man I would love to work in a place like that, beats the ever living crap out of a cubicle.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
That has got to be the sexiest facility I have ever seen. I was listening to the Shinra theme from FFVII the whole time I was watching the video.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Am I a dingleberry because all I can think of is "they could've spent that money improving their infastructure and service"?

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
Wow that is pure awesome, I never would have though an isp would be that cool but this has proved me wrong.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
Am I a dingleberry because all I can think of is "they could've spent that money improving their infastructure and service"?
You are not a dingleberry but you want to keep your data center as physically safe from sabotage or terrorist attack as possible so an underground bunker makes perfect sense(just look the recent physical attack on one of California's fiber optic trans-pacific cables as evidence).

Few data centers are as tricked out and secured as the Swedish one but they are usually in hardened, meaning protected against most conventional attack such as small explosives and small arms fire, facilities.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
The Swedes are cool. They provide my furniture, they like to share everything over the internet (including their pretty blonde girls) and they have ISP's dripping with awesomeness.
But the weather over there sucks.

Edit: and "Tiamat" is from there too. Holy crap.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
This is why you should strive to be rich and successful, so you can afford an evil lair and a cat, oh and a swivel chair. Mahahahahaah. I need a voice coach.