Vancouverite Charging For Tetris Lessons

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Vancouverite Charging For Tetris Lessons

Live in Vancouver and feel like taking your block spinning game to the next level? Fork over your hard-earned money for lessons from a veteran Tetris player.

They say that if you're good at something you should never do it for free, and one Vancouverite seems to believe that he's pretty darn good at Tetris, because he's asking for money in exchange for lessons. "In response to the economic downturn, I am offering personal Tetris training sessions on a limited, first-come first-serve basis," the person wrote on a Craigslist [http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/lss/1125804888.html] post. "I am a patient and non-judgmental coach."

The lessons come in two varieties: Tetris Fundamentals and Intermediate Tetris.

Fundamentals is a 90 minute course that'll set you back $30. After completing the class, the post states, you will be able to identify all seven different Tetris blocks, have an "understanding" of how to score consecutive Tetrises and know how to use features like hard drops and hold. You will also have "watched me play Tetris for 45 minutes" and "gained the confidence to play Tetris by yourself or against friends, strangers, and family members."

The Intermediate class runs for two hours and costs $40 to $55, and will test your knowledge of Tetris fundamentals by forcing you to play while drunk. Speaking from experience, this is actually something of a valuable skill. There may also be "a short primer on computational geometry and algorithmic complexity theory."

I'm not one to scoff at the subtleties of this classic game. I'm a pretty big Tetris fanatic myself, but this is plainly ridiculous. Or fake. Honestly, I hope it's not.

(Offworld [http://www.offworld.com/2009/04/tetris-lessons-craigslist.html])

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Stubee said:
To be honest, paying for tuition in ANY video game is pretty pathetic. All it does is show you care WAAAY too much...
Go tell that to the historians who obsess over what someone ate at the time of their deaths.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
So for the second course, you are required to be intoxicated? That's... pretty much the most retarded thing I've heard in a while. No thanks.

Maet

The Altoid Duke
Jul 31, 2008
I'll sign up for the intermediate class as long as he's buying the beer.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
What a scam. Honestly, who needs private tuition to play Tetris? Or any game, for that matter?

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Keane Ng said:
"In response to the economic downturn, I am offering personal Tetris training sessions on a limited, first-come first-serve basis,"
I laughed at this, because I get the feeling, with the economy how it is, no ones going to pay for lessons they don't really need, let alone lessons on how to play Tetris. I get the feeling I could book a course two minutes before I arrived, and still get a course...

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Keane Ng said:
The Intermediate class runs for two hours and costs $40 to $55, and will test your knowledge of Tetris fundamentals by forcing you to play while drunk. Speaking from experience, this is actually something of a valuable skill.
Yep. That sounds like Vangroovy all right.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
He probably needs the money so he can afford playoff tickets and as sad as it is I would pay him the $30 or so bucks if he could get decent enough to get past level 15 on hard.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Fundamentals is a 90 minute course that'll set you back $30. After completing the class, the post states, you will be able to identify all seven different Tetris blocks, have an "understanding" of how to score consecutive Tetrises and know how to use features like hard drops and hold. You will also have "watched me play Tetris for 45 minutes" and "gained the confidence to play Tetris by yourself or against friends, strangers, and family members."
Wait, half the time you're just watching him playing the game? If I want to watch someone play Tetris I just use Youtube...

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
I think this is great, if gaming were to become more recognized as a sport or skill then...we might all become ultrafamousworldchampionswithlotsofmoney.

Arkfeller

Nov 14, 2007
I feel sincerely sorry for the person who actually feels the need to sign up for these lessons.