Bethesda's 2009 Press Event Swag

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Bethesda's 2009 Press Event Swag

The Bethesda 2009 press event is still officially hours from kicking off, so I still don't know just what, exactly, was worth the trouble of flying a gaggle of journalists from all corners of the world to London, England. But I do have a really nice bag in my swanky hotel room full of cheeky, British snacks, and from the looks of things, somebody's planning a party.

My favorite item in the pile is the box of "energy patches." These are apparently on the order of nicotine patches, but instead of nicotine, they're laced with caffeine. Feeling drowsy? Slap one on your arm and you'll be good to go. The box label warns that people with "caffeine intolerance" shouldn't use the product, which makes me leery (a cup of coffee sends me through the roof), but I have no doubt some of my colleagues will be wearing theirs this morning.

The event got off to an unofficial start last night at a swanky reception at a posh London hotel. Wine and beer flowed freely and the supply of bangers and mash seemed bottomless. The Bethesda folks were tight-lipped about what's in store for us today, but I was able to pry loose a little color from Bethesda's Pete Hines about at least one of the products we'll be seeing.

Broken Steel, the third DLC pack for Fallout 3 not only ups the level cap to 30, but apparently adds an extra layer of difficulty. According to Hines, he's been practicing intensely to master the new enemies so as not to embarrass himself during the demo. Maybe he'd do better with one of those caffeine patches.

The Bethesda 2009 press event officially kicks off this morning at London's luxurious, sky-high conference space, Altitude 360. In addition to previews of Bethesda's upcoming 2009 releases, we've been promised at least one juicy announcement, so stay tuned.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
MUST...KNOW...MORE!!!

It's Bethesda so this could be a number of things, all of which will be freaking awesome.

Also those energy patches look...well insane and at the least very strange, that being said put the entire pack on and see what happens. Worst case scenario you get to meet some of those funny English policemen, best case, there's a new character in the next Elder scrolls/fallout game called The Viper who enjoys insanely attacking trees and or mudcrabs, it's a win win situation.

Anyways, keep us informed. This is like crack for those of us not actually on crack.

Edit: Seeing the other thread, my comments still stand.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
I dare you to slap all the patches on your head at once before going to the conference.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Indigo_Dingo said:
Virgil said:
I dare you to slap all the patches on your head at once before going to the conference.
You want Russ to be even more unpredictably insane? Hell, he's only one step away from slicing his face open and yelling at oncoming motorists to hit him.
Do I know you from high school or something? Because I'm not even sure what you mean by this, much less why you'd be getting that idea.

Ilosia

The faceless
Mar 10, 2009
Reaperman Wompa said:
MUST...KNOW...MORE!!!

It's Bethesda so this could be a number of things, all of which will be freaking awesome.

Also those energy patches look...well insane and at the least very strange, that being said put the entire pack on and see what happens. Worst case scenario you get to meet some of those funny English policemen, best case, there's a new character in the next Elder scrolls/fallout game called The Viper who enjoys insanely attacking trees and or mudcrabs, it's a win win situation.

Anyways, keep us informed. This is like crack for those of us not actually on crack.

As funny as seeing Russ violently beaten by the filth would be, chances are he wouldn't survive so it's not a great long term investment.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Ilosia said:
Reaperman Wompa said:
MUST...KNOW...MORE!!!

As funny as seeing Russ violently beaten by the filth would be, chances are he wouldn't survive so it's not a great long term investment.
...You just ruined my image of English Policemen.

It was a mix of Fred Colon and Danny from Hot Fuzz "Policemanofficer".

And this thread has become slightly creepy, seems Russ has fans/enemies/stalkers.

Lord Kofun

Mar 18, 2009
That was amazing. Half a page about... nothing! You should run for Emperor of the Universe. Election comes up next week.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Reaperman Wompa said:
And this thread has become slightly creepy, seems Russ has fans/enemies/stalkers.
Creepy for you? Brother, lemme tell ya ...
Well look on the brightside...ummm...Pony? Damn, that seems to work on everyone else...oohh, you got strange English caffeine things to eat/put on...?...so yeah. Could be worse

Ilosia

The faceless
Mar 10, 2009
Reaperman Wompa said:
Ilosia said:
Reaperman Wompa said:
MUST...KNOW...MORE!!!

...You just ruined my image of English Policemen.

It was a mix of Fred Colon and Danny from Hot Fuzz "Policemanofficer".

Live here and you get very little chance to romanticise that bunch of psychotics.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Ilosia said:
Live here and you get very little chance to romanticise that bunch of psychotics.
Seriously, the real world ruins everything.

Meh my parents grew up in the UK so I had a vague idea of what the police were like. Something like shock-troopers combined with a punch to the face.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Whilst you're there, tell them to stop messing around with FO3 and get back to real work.

TES 5.

Actually, any chance of you doing a little digging about it? Stuff like how many people are working on it, if they've definitely set a location and whether or not it'll have multiplayer.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Indigo_Dingo said:
Russ Pitts said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Virgil said:
You want Russ to be even more unpredictably insane? Hell, he's only one step away from slicing his face open and yelling at oncoming motorists to hit him.
Do I know you from high school or something? Because I'm not even sure what you mean by this, much less why you'd be getting that idea.
Huh?

Have we reall all forgotten this?
Yeah, I got the reference, I'm just not sure what the hell it has to do with me. I'm The Joker? What are you saying, that I'm funny? Am I some kind of clown, here to amuse you?

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
wordsmith said:
Whilst you're there, tell them to stop messing around with FO3 and get back to real work.

TES 5.

Actually, any chance of you doing a little digging about it? Stuff like how many people are working on it, if they've definitely set a location and whether or not it'll have multiplayer.
I dug. They poured cement in the hole and kicked me in the face. Stole my shovel.

Seriously, they aren't talking about it - on or off the record. The only thing Pete Hines would tell me was that Todd Howard's group at Bethesda Game Studios is working on a "new project" and that they'll announce more later on. Sorry, but it's a non-story until they decide otherwise.

Elderly Possum

Mar 2, 2009
Yeah I think we'd all love Bethesda leave fallout to Black isle or whatever it's called now and get back to TES5 I think it's been set in Skyrim and been slated for release in 2010 but I think we'd all like to know more

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
wordsmith said:

TES 5.

I dug. They poured cement in the hole and kicked me in the face. Stole my shovel.

Seriously, they aren't talking about it - on or off the record. The only thing Pete Hines would tell me was that Todd Howard's group at Bethesda Game Studios is working on a "new project" and that they'll announce more later on. Sorry, but it's a non-story until they decide otherwise.
Awww :( I've been waiting more that 3 years for this, why can you say nothing?

WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME, BETHSOFT?!?!? *shakes fist at the sky*

Thanks anyway. Not very nice of them to steal the shovel though :(