Study: 8.5 Percent of Youth Are "Pathological Gamers"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Study: 8.5 Percent of Youth Are "Pathological Gamers"

A new study by an Iowa State University [http://www.iastate.edu/] researcher says 8.5 percent of U.S. kids between the ages of 8 and 18 show multiple signs of being "pathological gamers."

Psychologist Douglas Gentile, an assistant professor at Iowa State University who is also the director of research at the National Institute on Media and the Family [http://www.mediafamily.org/], based his findings on diagnostic criteria for pathological gambling that he adapted to videogame use. 1178 children and teenagers were sampled in his study, which looked for symptoms including the need to spend more money and time on games to feel the same level of excitement, lying about how much time was spent playing games and stealing games or money to continue feeding the habit.

"I thought this was parental histrionics - that kids are playing a lot and parents don't understand the motivation, so they label it an addiction," Gentile said. "It turns out that I was wrong."

His study found that children who meet the criteria of "pathological gamer" fared poorly in school compared to others, had trouble paying attention in class and reported feelings of "addiction" to games. They were twice as likely to suffer from attention-deficit disorder or attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and four times as many boys as girls exhibited symptoms of pathological gaming.

"It's not that the games are bad. It's not that the games are addictive," he said. "It's that some kids use them in a way that is out of balance and harms various other areas of their lives."

But while most people agree that overindulgence can be unhealthy, some experts questioned Gentile's findings. Michael Brody, chairman of the media committee of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry [http://www.aacap.org/], compared gaming to other activities that most people take for granted. "I think kids use this just the way kids watch television, the way kids now use their cellphones," he said. "They do it to relieve their anxiety and depression. It's all a matter of balance."

And Mark Griffiths of the Nottingham Trent University [http://www.gamingresearch.co.uk/] in the U.K. said that while he believes gaming addiction is a real phenomenon, the actual number of addicted gamers is smaller than indicated by the research. There are 45 million children in the U.S. who fit within the age range of the study, meaning almost four million would fall into the category of pathological gamer. "In all honesty, if there really were 8.5 percent of children who were genuinely addicted, there would be treatment clinics all over America," Griffiths said.

Source: GameBizBlog [http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/19/AR2009041902350.html]

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
With all this evidence, it'd be nice to see something done to bridge the gap. Psychologists need to be able to help kids who are severely troubled by video game addictions in a way which does not land stigma on the rest of us.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Labyrinth said:
With all this evidence, it'd be nice to see something done to bridge the gap. Psychologists need to be able to help kids who are severely troubled by video game addictions in a way which does not land stigma on the rest of us.
It's a lot better than being blamed for School Shootings as well.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I think addictions can be about... anything. Chocolate, computer games, SPORTS (yeah, spending 5 hours a day in a gym is an addiction), fishing, ANYTHING.

Oh, pathological gamers have troubles paying attention in class? Then I guess my class (25 girls, 5 dudes) is pathological, because today on a History lesson, our professor had to repeat a name of a pretty well known king (Charles Martel), just because he's "Karol Młot" in Polish (młot = młotek = hammer/maul) and, well, he was really close to facepalming himself. Or when people all the time ask "so... what happened in 622?!" or "wait, what was that jihad about?" and right after the answer "soooo... what was that sixth pillar about?".

Needless to say, it wasn't the boys. It was the girls who kept asking those questions...

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
I am an addicted gamer. It has affected my life "negativly". That being said, since my life revolves almost completely around games and the industry it might be that its more like my life interest than an addiction.But ive experienced withdrwl symptoms....

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
There is nothing special about video games. Those kids could easily be "pathological web surfers" or "pathological TV watchers." The only reason they pick games as their preferred form of entertainment is because they are more fun according to their personal tastes.

The answer is for parents to snap their kids into shape and have them get their school work and chores done before allowing them to turn to entertainment IN ANY FORM, not just videogames.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
I'm curious how many of those 8.5 percent do not play World of Warcraft or another MMORPG, as a think most regular games usually won't cause such addiction.

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
It's nice that he was conscious enough to throw in the line about it not necessarily being the games' fault. Looks like he's been keen to seeing how his study could be used for evil.

I think that "pathological gaming" or gaming addiction is really old hat, there's just not that many studies out there that provide definitive information about it. Honestly, you could apply this study to adults and I'm betting the percentages might be somewhat the same. The consistent thing is the whole "life balance" issue. If you're playing games or want to play games every waking moment at the cost of other elements, then that's not the games' fault, but the mentality of the person playing.

I do think it's difficult to pinpoint fixing the issue because every case is different. Some people are addicted to gaming due to compulsive behavior, others due to entertainment value, and yet others for escapism (see whut I did thar). There's a bit of a variety when it comes to defining why people are addicted to games, and I wish this study focused on that more.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Danzorz said:
Labyrinth said:
Didn't 95% of those psychologists say that the kids are addicted to video games due to child hood trauma? I think they did.
Well on some level thats true, I really got into the computer when I was in middleschool and didn't really have any freinds, and thats effected my life a great deal. Thing is I started gaming when I was much younger, and all us neighborhood kids hung out.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
And yet again, a "study" says that some gamers may be something-or-other. Really now, I'm getting tired of "studies" saying anything, especially since whoever's paying the bill tends to get results that they like.

SnowCold

Oct 1, 2008
ssgt splatter said:
Oh boy, Here comes Jack Thomson and another rant as to how video games are eeeevil
Did you even read the artical? he says that game aren't bad or addicting, it's just a small number of kids can be harmed if not taken care of. And you gotta admit, even as a gamer, that games CAN be addicting.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
8.5%?...

that's it?

In other news, this is another 'correlation, but not causation' study. Things go wrong when people say that gaming -causes- ADHD/addiction/etc. If anything, it merely takes advantage of the illnesses/predispositions already present. Very likely is that even without gaming, these individuals would still be suffering in some alternative shape or form.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I don't doubt it. When I was a teenager I rarely slept, developed a drug problem in order to stay awake during school hours, and lied to my parents, teachers, and friends about my video game usage.

Funny thing, though: I'm now over 30, I still play games, but I've gone back to college, am pulling a 4.0 GPA, and I'm happily married. And the illegal drugs? Been sober for 13 years now. So maybe, just maybe, the toxic environment that is public school and abusive, brainless parents has more to do with whether kids and teens lapse into addictive self-destructive behaviors than just the games themselves.

If we're going to "fix" our youth, maybe we should stop looking at their escapism and start looking at what's causing them to want to escape in the first place. Something is seriously wrong with the way we as a society are raising kids.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
*smug grin* I game a lot, don't pay attention on lessons, and I got all grade A's with most teachers dissaggreeing with my ways.
Guess I'm lucky. (high school)

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
People usually just have addictive personalities. Chances are, these people are going to get addicted to something throughout their lifetime, harmful or not. I'd much rather have kids be addicted to gaming than drugs or dangerous thrills.