Skype Is Possible On The DSi

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Skype Is Possible On The DSi

Moving one step closer to making the Nintendo Phone a reality, Skype has said that a DSi version of its popular online communication tool is technically possible.

Popular internet voice chat application Skype [http://www.skype.com/] seems like the perfect fit for Nintendo's newest incarnation of its popular handheld, the DSi. Unlike its predecessor, the DSi has the power to download and run software, which would make it potentially possible for you to take Skype breaks to chat with your pal Alejandro in Mexico City in between Rhythm Heaven sections.

"Whilst we can't comment on any future plans to bring Skype to Nintendo's DSi, it would technically be possible," a Skype rep told TechRadar [http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/handhelds/skype-heading-to-nintendo-dsi-593284].

Skype's company line is that they want to bring the application to as wherever people would want it, and they've done just that - the application has appeared on the PSP, iPhone/iPod Touch. The Skype motto, they say, is "extending the Skype infrastructure and platform to bring Skype functionality wherever, whenever, and on whatever device or site people choose to use it."

That might be want Skype wants to do, but Nintendo may not be completely sold on the idea. "We have no plans to release a Skype application for Nintendo DS or DSi," the company told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=213364]. Well, if they ever do make plans, and I don't think it would be unwise for them to do so, Skype could be ready to make it happen.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Hoo boy, I can see the headlines a mile away:

DSi IS REALLY JUST A CHILD-MOLESTING TOOL OF DESTRUCTION: SEX CHATS ON DSi HAPPENING ALL THE TIME!

It's just waiting to happen.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Man if only skype calling phones was still free...this would be epic win for the DSi and the PSP. But in all honesty it's a rather pointless feature if you don't have other people that have skype accounts. Skype is great and all...but if you got a cell phone then it's pointless, and if you don;t have many skype friends....its pointless.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
scotth266 said:

DSi IS REALLY JUST A CHILD-MOLESTING TOOL OF DESTRUCTION: SEX CHATS ON DSi HAPPENING ALL THE TIME!

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
scotth266 said:

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.
It's sad how that was the first thing that came to my mind, isn't it?

You see, I HAVE to see the worst thing that could happen, because it probably will. After all, there was some fuss a long time back about how predators could use Pictochat to send your kids digital penis pictures... This is merely an extension of that incident waiting to happen.

Of course, it has GOOD uses, but no one will make light of those.

olicon

May 8, 2008
I don't see why a simple VoIP wouldn't work on DSi. Most games already have some form of text chat, and the DSi features a microphone. It's really not too hard to send the data off to a different server (like Skype) instead. However, I think it's precisely the fact that your data is being sent to an entirely unfamiliar server that they don't like. Nintendo is just very suspicious (and overly cautious) of where data from the Wii and DS goes.

With that said, if they would add java functionality to the net browser, there are already free services like meebo.com/msn lite/gmail/etc that allows you to connect to others. However, none of those have featured voice chat on their web client so far.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
While cool, I'm not sure the DSi needs it. I can't really think of many portable games that seriously need some voice chat, unless someone makes a really good FPS or other form of action game for the DSi, with multiplayer. (which is entirely possible).