Slap Your Face Into Age of Conan

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Slap Your Face Into Age of Conan

BigStage and Funcom are teaming up to produce an online (and eventually in-game) feature that lets you put your mug into Age of Conan.

People play MMOGs to act out the lives of their fictional characters, which, most likely, look nothing like their real life selves, especially when it comes to gender (but that's another story). Still, if you've ever wanted to actually see your own face inside an MMOG, you might have your chance soon enough. BigStage has been working on some technology that will import your face [http://bigstage.com/CMS/bigstageggl] onto an Age of Conan character.

As it is right now, the extent of the technology is a bit limited. You can only paste your face into cutscenes and still images. Here's how it works: you head over to BigStage, upload three photos of yourself (one looking head on, another slightly turned to the side, another even more slightly turned to the side), and you're in business. Your face will be magically grafted onto the body of an Age of Conan character.

Once that's done, you can add accessories (like an eyepatch or shades), change the expression on your face from blah to surly to angry to surprised and beyond, and share your picture via email or on Facebook/MySpace/etc. More interestingly, the face you generate transfers to cutscenes, and does it pretty well too - the jaw and facial movements don't look horribly fake, based on this video evidence [http://www.gametrailers.com/player/48245.html?r=1&type=wmv].

Of course, this isn't much more than a novelty taken on its own. But BigStage promises that we'll be seeing this kind of stuff "in-game soon," whatever that means. So Age of Conan may be populated with regular people faces soon enough. Just don't be surprised when your favorite female companion shows up online sporting a beard.

(Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58242])

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
Keane Ng said:
People play MMOGs to act out the lives of their fictional characters, which, most likely, look nothing like their real life selves.
Somewhat the exact opposite my friend. Which is why you will find Humanoid races to ALWAYS be the most popular. Sometimes people make characters of what they WISH they looked like which is why I roll female midgets in all role playing games when possible.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
SirSchmoopy said:
Keane Ng said:
People play MMOGs to act out the lives of their fictional characters, which, most likely, look nothing like their real life selves.
Somewhat the exact opposite my friend. Which is why you will find Humanoid races to ALWAYS be the most popular. Sometimes people make characters of what they WISH they looked like which is why I roll female midgets in all role playing games when possible.
I suspect that humanoids are popular because people empathise with them alot more than the snotty elves, the thick trolls, the thieving halflings, etc, etc ;)

Doesn't mean they want to play as themselves online - they just want an avatar they can identify with, even if they have bigger breasts, beefer muscles, etc, etc, because they want an image they can imagine being.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
CUnk said:
Do they really expect this to pull AoC out of the toilet?
I think they actually do, which is the sad thing. Face it, Funcom, AoC is dead. Move on. Your pathetic desperation to keep it alive is only going to result in you losing even more money.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
Didn't they have a feature similar to this in another game, where it would kind of render a photo you gave it onto a character face? I want to say Perfect World... but I could be wrong.