Stolen Pixels #83: Left 4 Dumb: Part 5

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #83: Left 4 Dumb: Part 5

It's easy to spot the new players in Left 4 Dead. They're the ones doing the most screaming.

Read Full Article

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
Oh by the godess that was hilarious. I'm lovin' this series.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
They only go out at night because its only safe to sleep in the day. Duh.
Erm, how so? Zombies can see and seems to be active day and night. If anything, night just means you can't them well, heh.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Doug said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Erm, how so? Zombies can see and seems to be active day and night. If anything, night just means you can't them well, heh.
Considering how many of them are hiding in the dark, I assumed they had a natural aversion to light. Is there anything to suggest they don't?
Hmmm, probably. I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out, heh.

That said, the flash of gun fire doesn't seem to avert them ;)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Doug said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Doug said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Considering how many of them are hiding in the dark, I assumed they had a natural aversion to light. Is there anything to suggest they don't?
Hmmm, probably. I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out, heh.

That said, the flash of gun fire doesn't seem to avert them ;)
Muzzle flash isn't as bright as the movies make out.

Think of light to them what the screech of minah birds is to us - its an unbearable sound. You will plan your day so you don't have to hear that godawful racket. But an emergency comes up, and you need to get there. You'll tolerate the sound, cause something more important has happened.

Like the Zombies. These guys are in a safehouse, the Zombies aren't going to bother. Its food out of reach, out of sight, and out of - well, not mind, but lets say disjointed base instincts. But they step outside the door, and suddenly, *sniff* *sniff* FOOD!!! The screech of the sunlight on them is lost, as they need to hunt these guys down. They try to sleep at night? These things are gonna be slamming at the door with all their might - and that door cannot take a Tank, a Hunter headbutting it for half an hour, or so on. After all, the night is young, there's nowhere else to be, and four tasty, tasty humans sitting ju-u-ust out of reach.
Hmmmm, Soylent green....sorry, got distracted, wha-? ;)

Anywho, true-true on all counts.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
Doug said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Considering how many of them are hiding in the dark, I assumed they had a natural aversion to light. After all, considering the Witch becomes hostile if you shine the light on her, I assumed it hurt her. Is there anything to suggest they don't?
Light and noise attract them, I think it would be the heat from the sun that they avoid.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
Knight Templar said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Doug said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Considering how many of them are hiding in the dark, I assumed they had a natural aversion to light. After all, considering the Witch becomes hostile if you shine the light on her, I assumed it hurt her. Is there anything to suggest they don't?
Light and noise attract them, I think it would be the heat from the sun that they avoid.
And yet they wander into the molotov....
You've got me there, but them not liking light doesn't add up, they are sometimes in buildings where lights are on.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
Knight Templar said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Knight Templar said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Doug said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
And yet they wander into the molotov....
You've got me there, but them not liking light doesn't add up, they are sometimes in buildings where lights are on.
When? Or to put it on a more relevant level, when are they in buildings that are lit more than the moonlit outside area?
The start of No Mercy.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I suspect that the zombies in left 4 dead are from the Resident Evil school of plot point training, and hence trying to make sense of it is like trying to nail jelly to a wall ;)

After all, Valve did their best, but they just couldn't find any other source of zombies than the T-virus to populate the bombed ruins they created to inspire their artists (see previous comics ;))

stompythebeast

Orbital Drop Shock Trooper
May 6, 2008
Guys, valve already stated in the L4D blogs that the zombies are sensitive to HEAT and are attracted by HIGH frequency ( pitch) noises. That explains why they are not attracted when you destroy the gas station for example, but go nuts when you move the train in Blood Harvest. This explains why they are so weak to fire, since they die instantly after getting lit. Even the tank gets a death timer after he gets lit, so it seems the special infected have too much of a strong will to go down as easily as the common infected.

And one more thing, they are not zombies. They are INFECTED, as the ones in the awesome movies and book of 28 Days/Weeks Later. Zombies eat flesh, thats what makes them zombies, running or walking. The infected just beat the shit out of you, since they have the spirit of all the rage quitters in the history of gaming ^-^. Stop comparing them to the T-virus, its more like rabies.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
stompythebeast said:
And one more thing, they are not zombies. They are INFECTED, as the ones in the awesome movies and book of 28 Days/Weeks Later. Zombies eat flesh, thats what makes them zombies, running or walking. The infected just beat the shit out of you, since they have the spirit of all the rage quitters in the history of gaming ^-^. Stop comparing them to the T-virus, its more like rabies.
Damn, I was just about to say that.

I hate to get all technical about it, but he's right, they're not zombies, they were just infected by some unknown disease that caused them to FREAK OUT and start attacking everyone else.

Plus I guess another difference between zombies and the infected is that the infected are just sort of pale and with maybe a few blood stains on their clothes, where as zombies usually look like they were just dug up out of the ground. (Which most of them are.)