Rumor: StarCraft II Beta Before May?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: StarCraft II Beta Before May?

Three major - and official - Chinese StarCraft fansites have announced that Blizzard will be providing them with StarCraft II beta keys, and that the long-awaited beta could start "before May."

National Geographic of Azeroth [http://www.starcraftwire.net/blog/comments/chinese-starcraft-2-fansites-prepare-for-beta/] (a major WoW fansite as well) announced that - roughly translated:

[blockquote]"...SC2 beta test will start soon. When that happens, NGA will get a bunch of beta keys at the first hand. We want to hand those keys to you guys as soon as possible, so we are going to start the activity ahead of schedule. The activity (challenge) will start this week."[/blockquote]

Two more fansites - grilled him [http://xingji2cn.com/] for some answers.

According to CoNia, the information that the SC2 beta was imminent was given to sc2p by a "Blizzard Community manager in China," and that they will be given the beta keys as soon as Blizzard approves their contest plans. Here's the real kicker, though - when SCWire asked whether or not they'd been given a date for when the beta would start, CoNia responded:

[blockquote]If I say there is no hint at all it wouldn't be true, but I can't give you more details. I can give you a rough time. Before May, but I can't be sure.[/blockquote]

When SCWire's kuangtu remarked that, given that there are only 10 days left in April, this would be very short notice, CoNia agreed: "Yes, that's why the activity is in hurry. We didn't get any notification before. We started to plan the activity right after they gave the 'go.'"

Now, we have to stress a few things: For one, absolutely nothing is confirmed thus far. Given that the three sites in question are all recognized and approved by Blizzard as official Chinese StarCraft fansites - and they all announced plans virtually simultaneously - it might be unlikely that this is a hoax, but that doesn't mean it would be impossible. Furthermore, CoNia's "before May" timetable does seem to only be a rough estimate, or guesswork. So I wouldn't start marking off your calendar just yet - plus, for all we know, this timetable might only apply to the Chinese beta (a rather unlikely scenario, especially given the game's popularity in neighboring Korea, but not completely out of the question).

Considering that we were told that we were long road [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89491-StarCraft-II-In-the-Final-Stretch] to the long-awaited StarCraft II beta is nearing its end.

In the meantime, why not tide yourself over with the Battle Report 2 [http://www.starcraft2.com/features/battlereports/2.xml]?

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/04/21/rumor-china-to-get-starcraft-ii-beta-before-may/])

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I'll admit... I'm looking forward to this. StarCraft has long been one of my all-time favorite RTS games.

throwitinthetrash

Apr 15, 2009
I'm excited about one major thing in SCII: Unit Pathing
No more will I send 10 guys up a ramp only to have 8 run around the map, into enemy territory while I was fighting off other units.
Can't wait! >.<

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Wouldukindly said:
I'm looking forward to this, but I really worry that I'll just hop on, feel the controls and format as too archaic and move on. Don't give into the idiots, Blizzard! Throw some innovation into your games!
Have you seen the Battle Reports? I mean, when I got to play it at PAX and BlizzCon, it was very recognizably StarCraft, but that's not a bad thing. It was lots of fun.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Not a big fan of Starcraft, so I'm not excited. But I must say that this gives them a mere few days to release the beta. Its the 21st of April already!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Wouldukindly said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Wouldukindly said:
I'm looking forward to this, but I really worry that I'll just hop on, feel the controls and format as too archaic and move on. Don't give into the idiots, Blizzard! Throw some innovation into your games!
Have you seen the Battle Reports? I mean, when I got to play it at PAX and BlizzCon, it was very recognizably StarCraft, but that's not a bad thing. It was lots of fun.
It does really look good, and I do like the twicks and new units, plus I've heard they have some great ideas for the campaign, but I've been playing Starcraft for years, I just want it to be different enough from the first one that I won't instantly lose interest. I really do want to enjoy it, I just want it to be another game other then Starcraft 3-D (which it probably isn't).
I totally see where you're coming from. And on this regard I think Blizzard is in a bit of a tight spot here. Half the fans probably want SC2 to literally be just "more Starcraft," like an expansion pack. The other half want it to be a different game entirely. There's no pleasing everyone here, and I don't envy them the design choices.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
The new units with the old styling seems to be doing the trick. Although it looks marginally (very marginally!) unbalanced in favour of Terrans right now, given the Battle Reports. But that'll be fixed soon enough.