eBay Told to Tell the Truth

Feb 13, 2008
eBay Told to Tell the Truth

The Advertising Standards Authority has found that eBay, despite advertising itself as the cheapest, really isn't.

According to recent adverts, eBay says it's 25% cheaper than the High Street. Problem is that's simply not true.

The research that gave eBay that opinion was from a third party based on 288 different products. Of course, this didn't actually include desktops, games, action figures or things that your normal average Escapist is interested in. That could have been claimed as targeted advertising but, against a specific unnamed High Street store, the store was found to be regularly cheaper to buy from.

The ASA has said that "The small print was of insufficient size to avoid being overlooked, and because it contradicted the main message of the headline, we considered that the ad was likely to mislead." (full decision [http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications/Public/TF_ADJ_46139.htm]) eBay hasn't been fined, but it has been told that it needs robust evidence to support any future claims.

Advertisements forced to tell the truth? Surely the Rapture descends.

Source: The Register [http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/22/ebay_asa_ruling/]

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
They lied to me!?

Actually it's not that surprising, their figures probably do tell the truth if you put them through a magic box and look at it upside down, there's usually a loophole to be exploited in this comparison things.

And adverts aren't technically supposed to lie to you. Although here in the uk I believe until recently you couldn't compare to other products of the same type on an advert. So the rules do change around a bit.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Well, what a suprise. Deceptive advertisement? I'll show you deceptive advertisement!

*Proceeds to open spam box*

Anyone who didn't see this coming a mile away, you're silly. I can still remember the days when the consoles of this generation came out, and the eBay prices were jaw-dropping.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
false advertising? what else is new, I never trusted eBay >.> you gotta capitalize your buisness name or you are just evil!