Play Classic Sierra Adventures in Your Browser

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Play Classic Sierra Adventures in Your Browser

The days when Sierra On-Line [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_On-line] ruled the high seas of videogames are back thanks to a new site that lets gamers play some of the great Sierra classics through the comfort and convenience of their browser.

Created by old-time Sierra fan Martin Kool, The Black Cauldron [http://sarien.net/], and more are apparently on the way. While glitches still occasionally pop up, Kool is continuing to work on the site and the games to smooth things out.

Kool acknowledges that he's reproducing the games without permission but says he hopes Activision Blizzard [http://www.activisionblizzard.com] will let it slide since the project is a completely non-profit fan effort. "I sincerely hope that Activision Blizzard can appreciate this tribute to these game franchises (as their original creators such as Al Lowe do), and not ask me to close down the site due to copyright issues," he wrote on the site.

The games look and play just like they did back in the glory days but also feature a unique twist: A form of non-interactive multiplayer that lets players watch other people working their way through the games, picking up hints about what to do, and what not to do, in their own games. The site also features the Sarien Studio, a section that lets players explore the various resources, like pictures and objects, that went into the creation of each game. For adventure fans or gamers who just want a taste of the good ol' days, Sarien.net's classic Sierra collection is not to be missed.

via: GameSetWatch [http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/04/play_sierras_adventure_games_i.php]

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
This is freaking epic.
I loved the Sierra On-Line games. I bought the Kings Quest and Space Quest re-releases that came out recently!
I still have the original copy of Kings Quest 5, EGA edition.
Awesome.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
To be truly epic, they need the LucasArts point-and-click classic adventures online too ;) I really want to play Grim Fandingo :(

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
And the first Space Quest instantly reminds me why I liked Lucasarts adventures better. Taking a couple steps to the left kills me? Yeeeeaaah...

Something tells me the Williams family really hated the players of their games.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I loved Sierra. How come no one has ever bought up the Civil War Generals or Lords of the Realm IPs?

KamikazeSailor

Jun 10, 2008
Seems like getting this posted here and on GameSetWatch already got Activision to take down the site. Too bad. Space Quest is an epic series from Sierra.

Of course I still have them on CD, so I don't care. Would've been nice to play the super original non-VGA version of Space Quest 1 though.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Kool acknowledges that he's reproducing the games without permission but says he hopes Activision Blizzard will let it slide since the project is a completely non-profit fan effort. "I sincerely hope that Activision Blizzard can appreciate this tribute to these game franchises (as their original creators such as Al Lowe do), and not ask me to close down the site due to copyright issues," he wrote on the site.
I give him a week before he gets C&D'd.

It works for me but it's..wierd, there's all these others players running around and...really? Wow, game design was aweful back then.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
A can't see this escaping the C&D hammer for long. I can still (easily) find stores that sell these games.

Woem

May 28, 2009
It looks like the site is still up and the games are still working, awesome! The great thing is that this site also provides savegames by pressing CTRL + 5 (to emulate F5) or typing 'save'.