Champions Online: Does Whatever a Spider Can

Feb 13, 2008
Champions Online: Does Whatever a Spider Can

While City Of Heroes/Villains is a great game, fans were always crying out for the one missing travel power, web-slinging. Champions Online has it.

With great responsibility comes great powers, and web-slinging has to be one of the coolest ways to get around town. So when the Cryptic was designing the Champions Online game, it was one of the travel powers that was a must have.

Like many games, it always "assumes" that there is something for you to latch onto, but for sheer coolness there's little that can beat swinging from actual buildings.

If they can have a mission which lets you dogfight between the skyscrapers, I think I may have found heaven.

Champions Online is due out sometime late 2009 for the PC with the Xbox version soon after.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
"Swinging" is such a Super Hero staple as well... I mean how many heroes have grapple guns or something like one?

Batman, Rorschach, Daredevil...

Pretty much any Non-Flying Rooftop Avenger...

And making it a "gun" is less likely to get them sued by anyone.

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
This is great news. I can't wait for this to come out!

Even though I've never played an MMO, City of Heroes was one of the few I always had my eye on. To know that this will be coming to consoles makes it a must buy.

PedroSteckecilo said:
"Swinging" is such a Super Hero staple as well... I mean how many heroes have grapple guns or something like one?

Batman, Rorschach, Daredevil...

Pretty much any Non-Flying Rooftop Avenger...

And making it a "gun" is less likely to get them sued by anyone.
This is very true. Although I would love it to have options for both a gun variant and a wrist/arm variant.

Unusual_Bulge

May 30, 2008
Assuming that there's always something to latch on to is all well and good when looking at your own character in a non-too-distant 3rd person view, but surely its going to look odd to the other players when there is nothing to latch onto and the game has you seemingly swinging from the clouds. Then again, I'm sure they've thought of a way around this, since it could be rather immersion-breaking.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Interesting...but as cool as doing a mission alongside the actual Rorschach? I think not.
Rorschach isn't part of the official DC universe. So, he won't be making an appearance in DCU online.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
What'll it look like to other players watching you though? Because the web is off-screen when your playing it, which is fine but to other players it might look very strange seeing you swing on thin air.

Feb 13, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
sheic99 said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Interesting...but as cool as doing a mission alongside the actual Rorschach? I think not.
Rorschach isn't part of the official DC universe. So, he won't be making an appearance in DCU online.
I thought everything DC published was considered a part of their universe, just happening in differing dimensions, meaning Watchmen is just chronicling another "what-if" world. Whats the dstinction?
Tough one.
Officially, Rorschach is part of the DC Multiverse but not the DC Universe. So he can exist in the same way that both Bruce Wayne and Terry Mcginnis are Batman.

In certain time/dimension hopping sprees (like DC vs. MK or DC vs. Marvel) the characters can fight it out against each other, however: Batman DC isn't the same as Superman DC in the same way that X-Babies and the X-Men co-exist in the Mojoverse. Got that? No...neither have I. Let's just say it's tricky.

Officially they are separate, but official canon doesn't block storyline reasons.

Anyway, away from that convolution, a mission swinging between buildings fighting off Rorschach? Now that would be cool.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
sheic99 said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
I thought everything DC published was considered a part of their universe, just happening in differing dimensions, meaning Watchmen is just chronicling another "what-if" world. Whats the dstinction?
Tough one.
Officially, Rorschach is part of the DC Multiverse but not the DC Universe. So he can exist in the same way that both Bruce Wayne and Terry Mcginnis are Batman.

In certain time/dimension hopping sprees (like DC vs. MK or DC vs. Marvel) the characters can fight it out against each other, however: Batman DC isn't the same as Superman DC in the same way that X-Babies and the X-Men co-exist in the Mojoverse. Got that? No...neither have I. Let's just say it's tricky.

Officially they are separate, but official canon doesn't block storyline reasons.

Anyway, away from that convolution, a mission swinging between buildings fighting off Rorschach? Now that would be cool.
But the Multiverse was destroyed during the events of Crisis on Infinite Earth. Unless DC doesn't care about continuity anymore.

Feb 13, 2008
DC's continuity changes more often than Bats loses his sidekicks.
"ZAAAAM, these last few pages no longer existed!"

At least Marvel tried to keep it separate, although Spidey does have about 4 separate origins now.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Officially, Rorshach is a DC character but the characters are never used because the creator has the rights to them and...well, you saw his reaction to the damn MOVIE. It's very, very unlikly Rorshach would appear and in a true comicbook game, he'd probably be a villain. Rorshach works as a hero in the Watchmen universe, but the fact he kills people would quickly run him afoul of people like Batman. Now THERE'S a fight.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
sheic99 said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
sheic99 said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Tough one.

But the Multiverse was destroyed during the events of Crisis on Infinite Earth. Unless DC doesn't care about continuity anymore.
I think they stopped caring about anythin around the time they created a character called Captain Nazi
Captain Nazi is a circa 1950's character. This means you have never cared about DC ever, in your life.

I KNEW we had to have something in common! :D

Skruff

Mar 19, 2009
sheic99 said:
Well, DC doesn't really care about continuity anymore, that part is true. Retcons or flat-out ignoring continuity to further a story has pretty much become the norm.

That being said, the multiverse was brought back in Infinite Crisis about 3 years ago or so. Only a few writers have really tapped into its potential, though. Most just kind of ignore it (like the continuity)! ;)

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Skruff said:
sheic99 said:
Well, DC doesn't really care about continuity anymore, that part is true. Retcons or flat-out ignoring continuity to further a story has pretty much become the norm.

That being said, the multiverse was brought back in Infinite Crisis about 3 years ago or so. Only a few writers have really tapped into its potential, though. Most just kind of ignore it (like the continuity)! ;)
And DC wonder why it's hard for people to get into comics.

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
sheic99 said:
Skruff said:
sheic99 said:

And DC wonder why it's hard for people to get into comics.
Well its not much better than Marvel. DC tries to reboot itself every few years when it gets confusing, making people who have been out of it for a few years or have just joined very confused. Marvel just tends to just say suck it up kid, it doesn't make sense but we don't care.

Both are as bad as each other really.