Stolen Pixels #84: Left 4 Dumb: Part 6

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #84: Left 4 Dumb: Part 6

Warning: Do not read the following Stolen Pixels if you've eaten recently. Or were thinking about eating.

Read Full Article

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Bwhaha, I have to love Griefer in this one "Stop nerding up the apocalypse".
Does the victim hold still and trust their teammates to aid them? Do their teammates rush in and trust their vomit-glazed compatriot to hold his fire?
What I do is try and back into a corner - once there, duck, hold fire and use the melee attack to keep the swarm away. Also, keeps a gap between you and the zombie horde so your team mates can shoot without hitting you.

lebkin

Sep 12, 2007
Doug said:
What I do is try and back into a corner - once their, hold fire and use the melee attack to keep the swarm away. Also, keeps a gap between you and the zombie horde so your team mates can shoot without hitting you.
This is all sound advice. I would add one critical element: duck. When hit by a boomer, one should always duck. This allows your allies to shoot over your head, hitting enemies all around you.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
lebkin said:
Doug said:
What I do is try and back into a corner - once their, hold fire and use the melee attack to keep the swarm away. Also, keeps a gap between you and the zombie horde so your team mates can shoot without hitting you.
This is all sound advice. I would add one critical element: duck. When hit by a boomer, one should always duck. This allows your allies to shoot over your head, hitting enemies all around you.
Ahh, yeah, forgot about that ;) Will quickly edit to add.

stompythebeast

Orbital Drop Shock Trooper
May 6, 2008
well the reason why the boomer is so good at ambushing is that people when they hear a boomer 2 or 3 or all of the survivors try to go and kill him, and of course they will be too close and get the crap all over them, and in turn everyone else. Thats why me and my friends designate a boomer bait, a person who will take out the boomer when ever we hear one, and of course, sacrifice himself and get covered in delicious green paste.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Shamus, you're showing your lack of playing time here.

Everyone who's actually played Versus enough to not suck horribly at it knows that the way to handle boomer attacks is to back into a corner and melee until you can distinguish friend from foe.

With the recent melee nerf you can't meleespam yourself safe - and if you get attacked by both a boomer and a hunter away from your team, you're as good as dead.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
"Wow, I didn't know zombies knew Monty Python"

Now THAT was clever.

..and...is Bill Dead? ;_;
He's probably around the corner trying to talk to the zombies.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
insanelich said:
I have 4 Survivor gold medals, survived 2 campaigns on expert, and have all of the survivor achievements aside from "Nothing Special" and "What are you trying to Prove?". I even have the Zombie Genocidist achievement. This is to say, I've logged some hours on this sucker.

Certainly getting into a corner is the way to go, but that's not how newcomers act. Their tendency to blind-fire is a really interesting study in human survival instinct gone sideways. :) They are especially likely to do this if they've been playing a lot of single-player before jumping online, as the bots are less helpful than humans and they are more forgiving of your errant bullets.

Once a player knows what to do they can usually be counted on to behave, but there is nothing like watching a first-time puke victim freak out.

I love this game.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Shamus Young said:
insanelich said:
I have 4 Survivor gold medals, survived 2 campaigns on expert, and have all of the survivor achievements aside from "Nothing Special" and "What are you trying to Prove?". I even have the Zombie Genocidist achievement. This is to say, I've logged some hours on this sucker.

Certainly getting into a corner is the way to go, but that's not how newcomers act. Their tendency to blind-fire is a really interesting study in human survival instinct gone sideways. :) They are especially likely to do this if they've been playing a lot of single-player before jumping online, as the bots are less helpful than humans and they are more forgiving of your errant bullets.

Once a player knows what to do they can usually be counted on to behave, but there is nothing like watching a first-time puke victim freak out.

I love this game.
Well in that case your paragraph about "trust" was just longwinded BS, because everyone new enough to freak out can be spotted a mile away - and you know it.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
insanelich said:
Well in that case your paragraph about "trust" was just longwinded BS, because everyone new enough to freak out can be spotted a mile away - and you know it.
BS? And I know it? Your aggression and offense is ludicrous. Because it doesn't apply directly to you as a gamer it's not true?

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Shamus Young said:
insanelich said:
BS? And I know it? Your aggression and offense is ludicrous. Because it doesn't apply directly to you as a gamer it's not true?
Aggression and offense?

Knowing what to do when a boomer attacks you is a core survival skill in L4D - it'd be like not knowing how to use the fire flower in Super Mario Bros.

Every even half-decent player picks it up within a few games.

So, no trust involved. You can (and should) spot a player new enough to get confused and panicky far before a boomer has a chance to puke on anyone in a team with even a single half-decent player.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
insanelich said:
Every even half-decent player picks it up within a few games.

So, no trust involved. You can (and should) spot a player new enough to get confused and panicky far before a boomer has a chance to puke on anyone in a team with even a single half-decent player.
But some players haven't played a few games. What is it about this that's confusing you?

Those first few trips through the game reveal a depth that isn't apparent at first glance. People look and see "oh, shoot zombies". But the special infected add layers to the social side of the game. I want people to know that. My "long winded BS" wasn't written for you. It was written for people who may not have seen the game.

But you go ahead and call it "BS" because I'm not talking about you. Because you're the most important gamer in the world. And I'll bet you're a barrel of laughs to play with.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
The first few trips through the game reveal a depth that ends up playing completely differently than you're telling people who haven't played the game.

Hmm.

Also, nice bile-spewing. Are you sure you haven't been playing Versus a bit much?