Change4Life Promotes Gaming as a Healthy Activity

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Change4Life Promotes Gaming as a Healthy Activity

Change4Life [http://www.nhs.uk/change4life/Pages/Default.aspx], the U.K. government health campaign that drew fire earlier this year for suggesting that videogaming can kill you, is launching a new campaign in which it actually promotes "active" videogames.

A legal action [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88783] as a result of the ad.

It's a surprising twist, then, that a new series of Change4Life television ads launching today will actually be promoting videogames as part of a healthy lifestyle. The new campaign will urge kids to get at least 60 "active" minutes every day and will focus, according to the Ministry of Health, on "playing videogames in which kids need to move about."

"Active video games, where kids need to jump up and down or dance about as part of the game, are a great way to get kids moving more," said Minister for Public Health Dawn Primarolo. "Little bits of activity like this, throughout the day can easily add up to the 60 active minutes kids need. But our survey shows that at the moment our kids just aren't getting up and about enough."

Unexpected though it may be, it strikes me as a pretty smart move. Kids are going to play videogames anyway so why not make it something that gets them on their feet? And when they're done, you can still throw them outside to run around the yard and "get some exercise." After all, you don't want to waste your entire day inside playing videogames, do you?

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/34056/Change4Life-in-shock-U-turn-on-games]

HeartAttackBob

Sep 11, 2008
I find this incredibly amusing. Reminds me of a quote from the wise and witty George Carlin: "People are basically stupid, and will believe anything they are told."

Even if they have statistically found that playing video games decreases lifespan, so what? There are tons of things we do that are dangerous or harmful, and we Know it: smoke, drink alcohol, eat bacon cheeseburgers, drive cars, etc.

I'm glad they're encouraging kids to get exercise, that's something worth spending advertising money on. Scaring parents into thinking video games will cause they're children to fall over dead is so absurd it's funny... Mostly in the sense that people might actually believe it.

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
This is how you get people to exercise, take an activity they enjoy and do often and make it active.

oMonarca

Apr 23, 2009
Get them mowing some lawns! When I have kids, I'll stop cleaning my house, yet the house shall be kept clean!

Time to pull their weight around! Lazy bastards (I really should wench less).

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Secretly they're actually being paid by Nintendo to discredit the PS3 (by saying playing it will kill you) and advertise for WiiFit...

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Aardvark Soup said:
Secretly they're actually being paid by Nintendo to discredit the PS3 (by saying playing it will kill you) and advertise for WiiFit...
They probably are, actually...

People seem to see the Wii as a great form of exercise and fun at tghe same time, when in reality it is neither.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Pulse Reality said:
Aardvark Soup said:

People seem to see the Wii as a great form of exercise and fun at tghe same time, when in reality it is neither.
I agree that playing a Wii game other than WiiFit or DDR probably isn't good excersise (although that highly depends on how you play it) but considering the amount of great titles that appear on it, I don't see why the Wii can't be fun.

Jaccklesby

Apr 12, 2009
I think Nintendo tried to do this. Parents thought it was a good idea until their kids decided something like Halo was more fun..

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Aardvark Soup said:
Pulse Reality said:
Aardvark Soup said:

I agree that playing a Wii game other than WiiFit or DDR probably isn't good excersise (although that highly depends on how you play it) but considering the amount of great titles that appear on it, I don't see why the Wii can't be fun.
I used to have a Wii. I sold it and all of the games I had to buy more for my 360.

All you seem to do is press one of three buttons andswing/flick.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Aardvark Soup said:
Pulse Reality said:
Aardvark Soup said:

Great amount of titles? Yes, great amount of shovelware.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Abedeus said:
Aardvark Soup said:
Pulse Reality said:
Aardvark Soup said:

Great amount of titles? Yes, great amount of shovelware.
The NES and the PS2 also had a great amount of shovelware, that doesn't say anything but that the console sells well. The problem is that most people complaining about the Wii only buy whatever has Nintendo's name slapped on the cover and ignore smaller and innovative titles like No More Heroes, Sam & Max and World of Goo.