Wii Remote Flicking Is Bad For Your Health

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Wii Remote Flicking Is Bad For Your Health

Cheaping Wii games by just flicking the Wii Remote with your wrist is even more hazardous to your bodily health than wildly swinging your arms, doctors say.

Most people with some experience with the Wii experience a common epiphany. At some point, maybe after your shoulder's tired from playing Wii Tennis or you smashed your hand into some hard surface after going for a strike in Bowling, you realize that you don't really need to try so hard.

The Wii doesn't notice if you're swinging your arm around like a maniac, and it doesn't care. You can just flick the Wii Remote slightly, using no more energy that it takes to move your wrist, and you'll get the same results. It means that you can sit down, and what true gamer has fun standing up?

It also seems like it would mean no risk of tearing out your shoulder or straining your arm muscles, but apparently this isn't the case. Contrary to common assumptions, flicking the Wii Remote with your wrist might actually be just as bad for you. Reporting on the rise of Wii-related injuries (little bit late to that party, guys), The New York Times spoke to doctors who pointed out that wrist flicking is "the exact motion - concentrating the force of a swing in the muscles of the forearm - that can cause tennis elbow."

So what to do if you still want to play your Wii without breaking your wrist from overuse? Well, maybe you should listen to those silly "go outside and take a break" messages Nintendo sticks in all of its games. This is especially true for you older guys and gals out there. Because, as Nintendo's Denise Kaigler told the paper, while "the rush of beating kids a fraction of your age in Wii Sports far outweighs the discomforts of getting older," it may hurt you in the long run.

(MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/04/23/nyt-flicking-wii-remote-instead-of-swinging-may-produce-injuries/])

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
So making flicking motions with your wrist is bad for you? Ugh, brace yourself for about ten pages of taseless jokes.

chimmers

Nov 18, 2007
Anything in excess is harmful to your health, though surely this is one of the most obvious examples?

Also, is it just me who thinks the guy in the pick is wanking off the Wiimote?

Nomad

Dire Penguin
Aug 3, 2008
Also, crisps cause cancer. And I seem to remember something about women being at risk if they eat more than three eggs per week. Everything is dangerous to the media.

Nimbus said:
So making flicking motions with your wrist is bad for you? Ugh, brace yourself for about ten pages of taseless jokes.
chimmers said:
... Wow. That prophecy came true fast.

chimmers

Nov 18, 2007
Nomadic said:
Also, crisps cause cancer. And I seem to remember something about women being at risk if they eat more than three eggs per week. Everything is dangerous to the media.

Nimbus said:
chimmers said:
... Wow. That prophecy came true fast.
In fairness, I was referring to the pic rather than the story :p
Had to find some way round it, seeing as he ruined regular jokes...

edit: he so is though

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
chimmers said:
That may be because that picture is from Saturday Night Live and that is exactly the joke.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Just as bad or worse?

I think it's pretty obvious that the wrist isn't suitable for forceful movements though it's probably fine when playing something like SMG where you don't have to apply much force (as opposed to, say, Boom Blox)

chimmers

Nov 18, 2007
Say Anything said:
chimmers said:
That may be because that picture is from Saturday Night Live and that is exactly the joke.
Fair enough, don't know the show so I wouldn't know the joke. Makes more sense now I guess though it could have been an Apprentice style error in the ad...

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
There are sports that require flicking your wrists, nobody says anything bad about them though.

Tennis, Badmington, Squash, Racquetball and Fishing to name a few.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
There are sports that require flicking your wrists, nobody says anything bad about them though.

Yes but this is a Wii we're talking about, the media have to complain about this. Everyone has to complain about this.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
Sevre90210 said:
Yes but this is a Wii we're talking about, the media have to complain about this. Everyone has to complain about this.
I must admit, the whole "wii elbow" thing has been around for about the same time as the wii it self has. Infact it was the only reason why some people wouldn't buy it when it first came out.
Nomadic said:
Also I agree, before you no it they will be saying that the using of the Wii Balence bord to oftern will give you cancer as well as standing up to play normaly.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Nimbus said:
And remember kids, flicking phallic objects with your hand will give you tennis elbow.

But seriously? This is almost as bad as "water gives people cancer" on the list of stupid medical thingamajigs.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
I wish i could be more mature , but for some reason i feel the urge to just shout "YEAH!!!! HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT CASUAL BITCHES!!!!!!!" sorry about that.....

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Machines Are Us said:

Hence why the name of the injury is "tennis elbow".

Also, "Sports may cause injuries" isn't exactly the most informative headline ever.

DarthHK

Jan 3, 2009
Lots of things are bad for you in excess. Like oxygen. (Don't be getting any ideas, now.)

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Meh, drinking alcohol is bad for you but we all still do it. This report wont change anything

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
This is retarded -
wrist flicking is "the exact motion - concentrating the force of a swing in the muscles of the forearm - that can cause tennis elbow."
Well, the key point with tennis is that you are swinging a racket to hit a ball travelling at a high speed, thus generating considerable forces in the muscles of the arm as you whack the ball. HOWEVER, with the Wii YOU ARE HITTING NOTHING, you're NOT EVEN SWINGING A RACKET! There's no large object's momentum to consider, no shock of impact, little force exerted. Hell, it's probably MUCH better for you because the only work you're having to do is accelerating the weight of your hand and the wii-mote, not wildly flailing your entire arm :/

This is basically COMPLETELY bullshit, yet another easy snipe made by the media, supported by 'doctors'. Gah, when the media pulls shit like this it pisses me right off *grr face*.

On a related note, I worked out the whole wrist-thing right from my first game. I love how long it seems to take some people to grasp the concept though...