Uncharted 2 Has Multiplayer

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Uncharted 2 Has Multiplayer

Nathan Drake's next adventure will feature some kind of multiplayer action, and you'll get a chance to try it out in the near future.

Uncharted was a completely singleplayer affair, with you and only you guiding lovable protagonist (and totally dreamy) Nathan Drake through his adventures. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, on the other hand, is no solo outfit: it'll feature some kind of multiplayer, though details are decidedly sketchy about what form that multiplayer will take.

What we do know, however, is that you'll be able to find out for yourself soon enough. The news of the multiplayer mode was revealed by way of a picture of placeholder box for Infamous that'll be used to promote pre-orders at Best Buy stores. The box advertises that when you pre-order a copy of Infamous, you'll receive not only a downloadable demo, but a "multiplayer beta voucher" for Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

Meanwhile, rumors of a possibly co-op mode originally reported on by Screw Attack [http://www.screwattack.com/HardNews/042209] remain unconfirmed. Screw Attack's source described the co-op as being more than just the singleplayer campaign with an extra person, which does sound pretty intriguing. In any case, there's your reason to pre-order Infamous.

(Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5226561/infamous-shocks-us-with-uncharted-2-multiplayer-beta])

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
What the devil? this is a good thing i say

what do you others think the multiplaer will have? i assume just fighting over treasure, kinda like capture the node or flag ectera

i dont mind multiplayer as long as the main bit with this franchise im interested in (The Plot and gameplay in singleplayer) is done right

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
As much as I loved Uncharted, I'm not too confident about this new mysterious multiplayer gameplay in the second game. I'll wait and see though, but I'm skeptical, it seems that every game nowadays is required to have multiplayer, but Uncharted could be a fine game on its own as a single-player game.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
The original Uncharted seriously needed some local co-op play, although it was a funtastic game on its own. If Naughty Dog is our true saviour, they'll include some form of local multiplayer for those of us who still have real-world friends.

iggyus

Apr 18, 2009
I dont really think a multiplayer is gonna work out for that game. Hope I'm wrong though

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
I thought the idea for the first one was great, should really work well with co-op. Other multiplayer modes might be iffy, I've played enough single-player focused third person games that I know making them work well with even deathmatch modes is a *****. If the platforming aspects and the combat aspects work together like they did for the Jedi Knight games, though, the experience could be phenomenal.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
In any case, cool. Although I can't really remember the last time a 3d platformer had multiplayer (there was Up your Arsenal, but that was more on the third-person shooter aspects...I think it hasn't happened since Banjo Tooie, and even that was just a minigame compilation)
Lost Planet did it too. Points for remembering R&C though.

Um... Ok, hope it turns out for the better and everyone gets another reason to buy the game.

wyldefire

Feb 27, 2008
Why is everyone so anxious about Uncharted multiplayer? If anything I think it could be a breath of fresh air. Including Uncharted's platforming elements into the online could create all kinds of lovely new strategies. Like say, climbing a tower to get the high ground or climbing a tree, hiding in the canopy, and then swinging down on a branch shooting at someone whose passing by.

Plus there is the fact that Uncharted's combat is very fluid and fast compared to most of todays TPSs. Honestly, shooters in general are getting slower and slower, I'm pumped that there might be game coming out where I'm not forced to play as a roided up elephant man who moves slower than a granny using a walker.

Apr 28, 2008
I'm interested in how the multiplayer will work.
Most companies that ship mainly single player games with a multiplayer component makes the multiplayer tacked on at the last minute.

But then again Naughty Dog isn't most companies.
As long as the single player is as good as the first, I'm happy.

And co-op wouldn't be a bad idea either

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Fuck, I hate all this Co-op crap!

Every game doesn't need to be RE5!

I guess it's mostly frustrating since I'm the only Console Shooter fan I know...

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Well as long as it doesn't mean they're skimping on the single player. Too many games with multiplayer do that, and I don't want to play with other people. D:

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
What the deuce? I didn't even think giving Uncharted multiplayer was....well, feasible. I guess the fanboys will be pleased. If they still live.