4chan Founder Wins Time 100 Poll

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
4chan Founder Wins Time 100 Poll

The results of the third annual 4chan [http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1894028,00.html].

Anwar Ibrahim [http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1883644_1883653_1885481,00.html], the Malaysian opposition leader, who managed an average rating of 47.

Of course, this is an internet poll, which means there's plenty of room for discussion, debate and wild, profane flaming. There will no doubt be many who question the selection of the man who launched 4chan as the world's most influential person but Time Managing Editor Josh Tyrangiel points out that the choice is no more or less valid than the selection of Nintendo genius Shigeru Miyamoto in 2007 or Korean pop sensation Rain in 2006. "I would remind anyone who doubts the results that this is an Internet poll," he said. "Doubting the results is kind of the point."

Unleashed on the public in October 2003, 4chan is an imageboard forum responsible for most memes and "internet in-jokes" that have made the rounds online over the past few years. 4chan is perhaps best known as the home of "/b/," the random image board infamous for its no-rules policy, anarchic environment and all-around viciousness. The site is also strongly associated with Anonymous, the fluid, shifting internet subculture dedicated to the principle that "none of us are as cruel as all of us."

So congratulations and lulz to Moot for his world-beating victory. Truly, the internet has spoken.

(photo [http://www.flickr.com/photos/iscari0t/2446005865/])

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Malygris said:
So congratulations and lulz to Moot for his world-beating victory. Truly, the internet has spoken.
"And so it was declared "Many Lulz will be had," and so they were, for the grand-creator, Moot, has been given honor and recognition."

Sorry, went pseudo-biblical there for a second. Anyway, this is... surprising, but I find it even more surprising that we do have information on the guy at all.

Kahvimies

Apr 23, 2009
I'm too surprised, confused and amused to come up with anything meaningful to say about this...

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Well yeah, much like Rick Astley winning whatever award it was, if you let the internet decide, then people will take the piss. It's what they do. Anonymity + power= douchebag. Tis the way it has been for many a year.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
He's very influencial, and he has a lot to answer for. From what I've heard his creation is a portal to hell.

Evertw

Apr 3, 2009
If it was a a 4-chan, ever thought that there could have been allot of alt accounts made to vote in his favor.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
RAKtheUndead said:
If you'll excuse me, I think I have a Big No coming with a vengeance. That disgusting, disturbing waste of time that is that abominably stupid website should never receive recognition. Ever.
Well said. 4chan does not deserve this kind of publicity.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
IceStar100 said:
That it some one get me off this crazy planet.
You can come with me. I have rocketship, and supplies. All we need now the right launch equipment and soon Mars shall be mine!

Mine!

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Evertw said:
If it was a a 4-chan, ever thought that there could have been allot of alt accounts made to vote in his favor.
I'm pretty sure TIME made votes based on IPs, and he also got an average rating double the second place position.

DigitalJedl

Apr 10, 2009
He has to answer for crimes against humanity.
With the creation of mega-troll, supermegatrolls(immune to perma-ban), and Boxxy, he must be sent to Guantanamo and eat THE famous sandwich.