Despite Takeover, It's Business As Usual At Eidos

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Despite Takeover, It's Business As Usual At Eidos

Despite being Eidos [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91144-Squeenix-to-Take-Over-Eidos-Tomorrow] will continue to operate as an independent entity and does not currently plan to kill off any of its existing franchises.

"Key staff and studios" at Eidos will remain in place, according to a took over [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/eidos-brand-to-live-on-following-square-acquisition] Eidos in January 2008 following the departure of former CEO Jane Cavanagh, who left after earlier takeover talks ended unsuccessfully in 2007. Rogers said he was pleased with the progress Eidos has made on his watch but emphasized that the company still has a long way to go.

"We were clear early on that it was a multi-year program that we were on, and we talk internally about the first year of three, to give you some sense of rhythm or cadence," he said. "We're pleased that we've set out with a clear direction - Eidos has had different directions in the past, but when you bore back to the common direction it's about the absolute gameplay, games with character."

"In terms of how we see the [Square Enix [http://www.square-enix.com/na/]] fit, the test for any announcement or transaction like this is how people feel internally," he continued. "I think people here think that it feels very right, that it strategically fits well, and there's a great deal of excitement now around the business. As a leader of a business, I think that's a great litmus test."

Square Enix President and CEO Yoichi Wada echoed Rogers' comments, saying he felt Eidos made a good fit because the two companies shared "the same culture." "When I say 'sharing the culture,' that includes the personality of the top management of the company, and the atmosphere in the studios," he said. "Because even if you were to have just had a capital tie-up, after the acquisition that will simply become a pure business contract-type of relationship. But with Eidos I felt that the fit was very good."

Low Frost

Nov 6, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Coming up: Final Fantasy: Hitman Raider. (Wait, that sounds good actually....)
Clearly you aren't a fan of any of those series. As a fan of one of them (the one that actually once had a good game), I say, please leave us in our misery.

Leaving Eidos to their own devices is a bad idea, as they haven't made a non-crap game since 2006 (Arkham Asylumn is still up in the air on every level). If there is one thing Squeenix knows, its how to make sequels to the right franchises. They should leave Eidos a message:

Drop Lara Croft in a pool of acid, and listen to fan suggestions for Hitman 5. Do it now. If we see one person developing jiggle physics, you're all fired.

And shoot the man who came up with Mini Ninjas.
Hey man, I have an ounce of faith in Arkham Asylum. It reminds me of Tenchu without the rampant killing.