World of Warcraft On iPhone A Reality?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
World of Warcraft On iPhone A Reality?

WoW on your iPhone sounds to good to be true, but a video posted on YouTube seems to show that it's very much doable.

What could be more destructive to your life than Peggle in World of Warcraft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91181-Peggle-Invades-World-of-Warcraft]? How about World of Warcraft accessible at any time, from any place, on your iPhone. It seems to fiendish and not to mention technologically impossible to imagine as a reality, but a YouTube video posted a couple days ago shows that it might actually be possible.

The clip, which has been taken off YouTube since (see it here [http://kotaku.com/5228209/warcraft-on-an-iphone-but-is-it-coming-to-yours]), shows a man running a World of Warcraft application on his iPhone using the Vollee, a service that makes it possible to run computer-intensive applications over 3G networks (it ran Second Life on phones).

This being the internet, there's always the possibility that the video is fake, but if you watch all five minutes of it, you'd probably be inclined to believe it's not. A window in the middle of the screen displays the game, while a virtual d-pad on the right controls movement and hotbuttons on the bottom are for your spells and more. You can even go to the auction house to sell off your 300x linen cloths.

It's not perfect, not at all. The framerate's abysmal, and the size of the window and limited number of hotkeys means that, if this is real and ever is released, you won't be doing much more than simple quests with it. Of course, there's quite a bit of shadiness surrounding the video, what with its being taken down and Vollee's website apparently being non-existent (or not [http://dev.vollee.com/], thanks Sodien). So who knows if this'll ever actually happen. Still, looks like WoW on iPhone's not completely out of the question.

(Touch Arcade [http://toucharcade.com/2009/04/25/world-of-warcraft-on-an-iphone-for-real/])

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
So, does this mean WoW "Elites" will get out of the house?
No, they'll now just play in the bathroom. So they don't need the portable toilet anymore.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
You can play WoW on your iPhone Touch, but it will only run for about one fight, I'd wager. And the quality will be terrible.

Fronken

May 10, 2008
This is kinda old, but yeah, as 1 Thousand (yes, i did the math) said, this can be very useful for doing auctions, setting up guild event or just chatting away.

FredFredburgur

Apr 13, 2009
Yeah this would not be good for raiding or questing btu checking mail/AH and just minor things would be easy, but that must take up a lot of memory on your iPod.

RH3INLAND.

Apr 18, 2009
Hah only good thing it'd be good for would be for checking Auction House and stuff like that.

Couldn't raid or anything like that.

Evilvikingking

May 2, 2009
The iPod Touch certainly does not have nearly enough memory for this. Not by a long shot. RAM or drive space...

I agree with above though.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
SomeBritishDude said:
No, they'll now just play in the bathroom. So they don't need the portable toilet anymore.
I thought they'd just moved the PC and fridge into the bathroom and sealed themselves in? ;)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Doug said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
SomeBritishDude said:
I thought they'd just moved the PC and fridge into the bathroom and sealed themselves in? ;)
They can't do that because their mom might need the bathroom at some point.

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
That doesn't even sound fun... why would you play on your phone with shitty internet when you could play on a computer

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Gormourn said:
Why would you want to play anything on your fucking iphone?

How degenerate are people to spend their time away from computer pretty much at the computer?

Learn to read books or something.

Also, it's not like you could do much on Iphone with WoW.
/facepalm

Spectre39

Oct 6, 2008
I'd say this is an awesome application for those of us with active lives. If I were at lunch or a coffee house or the airport or the laundry mat... it would be a neat neat advantage to be able to check the auction house while I'm away. Or if I'm stuck at the office and I won't be able to make it to the raid, being able to hop on my iphone and inform my guildies is a good tool. WoW players have wanted that advantage for years.