Marvel vs. Capcom 2 On XBLA/PSN This Summer

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 On XBLA/PSN This Summer

The ride that Capcom's been taking us on is finally over. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 has been confirmed for a summer release on XBLA and PSN, and it'll be sporting a few significant upgrades as well.

Finally, after years of evidence piling up, you can say it without a disclaimer: Marvel vs. Capcom 2 will be re-released [http://www.capcom-unity.com/sven/blog/2009/04/27/wheres_yo_curleh_mustache_yes_mvc2_is_real] on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network. After a week-long countdown, Capcom unveiled the game earlier today. So, what's the deal? Well, if you were hoping for a HD Remix of the game, you might be a bit disappointed, but for everyone else, the package sounds pretty sweet.

The biggest addition to the game is online multiplayer, which will use the same acclaimed netcode that Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix featured. Capcom says that we're "pretty much assured the best fighting game net code ever created for consoles." Multiplayer will feature a lobby system with quarter matches, and there will be detailed leaderboards and stat tracking.

Now, the game hasn't gotten an HD upgrade per se, but it will make some visual leaps into the HD era. Firstly, the field of view for the game is in widescreen (which you can see in the trailer here [http://www.tu4ar.com/]), though the gameplay itself will take place in a 4:3 field. You can opt to just view the game in 4:3 with borders, as well. As for how it looks, the game sports two upscaling options for the sprites, as well as a "classic" option that leaves things un-upscaled for hardcore purists.

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 will come with all characters unlocked, which will remove the mindless tedium of the unlocking all 56 characters from the original game.

Furthermore, the game will also feature a new remix soundtrack for those who don't like the jazzy stylings of the original tunes (and if you do, you're simply tasteless), music volume controls, and a custom soundtrack option.

Summer seem too far away? PSN will receive an exclusive demo [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/04/27/marvel-vs-capcom-2-revealed-demo-exclusive-to-psn/] later this week featuring a handful of characters and stages and local versus matches. The demo will hit on April 30, while no word was given on an Xbox Live release.

The game will be priced at $15 on PSN and 1200 Microsoft Points on Xbox Live.

So, I guess this means that Capcom and Marvel worked out their licensing issues to get this game out. From the way Capcom says it, it sounds like it was quite the battle. So, if the two were able to hammer out a deal for MvC2, doesn't that mean they can do the same for Marvel vs. Capcom 3? We can only hope.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: Is Mahvel baybee! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZUMjoxfZA]

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Not a surprise at all, but it sure is nice to have this game finally confirmed.

MVC is back!

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
It will be fun to play as Wolverine an beat the crap out of Megaman.... Again.... (Hey, did you know Wolverine is Canadian?)

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Finally. Holy crap. My Dreamcast CD of this game is so scratched up that it stutters, so I can't wait for this thing to come out on XBLA.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Is there a controller for either system that actually works for 2D fighters? Last time I attempted playing one both the dualshock and the 360 pad failed hard compared to a keyboard or this cheapo DS2 imitation I have plugged into my PC (the magic feature there is a reasonable deadzone on the analog sticks when operated in digital mode!).

Anyway, Capcom, GO GET YOUR TATSUNOKO LICENSING SORTED OUT!

US Crash Fire

Apr 20, 2009
KDR_11k said:
Is there a controller for either system that actually works for 2D fighters? Last time I attempted playing one both the dualshock and the 360 pad failed hard compared to a keyboard or this cheapo DS2 imitation I have plugged into my PC (the magic feature there is a reasonable deadzone on the analog sticks when operated in digital mode!).

Anyway, Capcom, GO GET YOUR TATSUNOKO LICENSING SORTED OUT!
i have the Madcatz Street Fighter 4 fightpad and it feels just like the sega genesis controller we all grew up with. perfect for pulling off them Hadokens. so yeah i recomend that.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Ugh...sprite filtering. I think I'll pass. You'll see me playing Garou in the next room, though.

KDR_11k said:
Is there a controller for either system that actually works for 2D fighters?
The FightPad. They're currently sold out, though, but there should be a new batch of them coming next month.

Indigo_Dingo said:
Companies manufacture arcade pads for the Ps3, that wouldbe better than the PC.
And all those arcade pads can be connected to the PC and they'll work. Same goes for 360 pads, really.

Yeah, yeah, you need the drivers for both but that's a non-issue.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
Wow, this is going to be awesome. I used to play this and the first in arcades but couldn't find it anywhere. Wow I just realized last time I played it was 6 years ago. Can't wait for summer!

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Have to give this one a look I think. I remember playing this in arcades and loving it. Haven't seen it in years though...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Happyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappyhappy JOY!

Seriously, bouncing up and down and clapping like a girl at this news.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Seriously, bouncing up and down and clapping like a girl at this news.
I'm sorry to tell you but your joy will be shortlived once you realize that it'll be nothing but Magneto/Cable/Storm mirror matches.

KaZZaP

Aug 7, 2008
Me and my friends have been going ape shit over this. Akuma, Iron Man, and Cyclops united again at last!