Is Holographic Media the Future for Next Gen?

Michael Grimm

Feb 23, 2009
Is Holographic Media the Future for Next Gen?

A new breakthrough by G.E. will allow regular sized discs to hold approximately 100 DVDs worth of content.

The breakthrough utilizes holographic technology instead of traditional methods, allowing 3-D images to be read in addition to standard 1s and 0s. The holographic images act "[...] like microscopic mirrors that refract light patterns when a laser shines on them[...]" Apparently the 3-D images allow for extra refraction of the laser, creating extra depth and storage within the disc.

The technology is similar enough to current laser based readers so that holographic readers could be backwards compatible:

"In G.E.'s approach, the holograms are scattered across a disc in a way that is similar to the formats used in today's CDs, conventional DVDs and Blu-ray discs. So a player that could read microholographic storage discs could also read CD, DVD and Blu-ray discs. But holographic discs, with the technology G.E. has attained, could hold 500 gigabytes of data. Blu-ray is available in 25-gigabyte and 50-gigabyte discs, and a standard DVD holds 5 gigabytes."

This obviously has serious implications for Sony and Microsoft's next generation consoles, as the tech should be ready around the timeframe of their predicted launches. With the Xbox 360 already experiencing storage issues with Final Fantasy XIII and its extremely large HD video content, it seems likely that even 50GB of Blu-Ray storage may not be enough storage for future console games.

While holographic readers are currently still too expensive for commercial or private use, some experts are saying it could be ready as early as 2011. G.E. claims that once the holographic discs are ready for sale to the public, storage prices should be around 10¢ per gigabyte.

Source: <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/technology/business-computing/27disk.html?_r=1&ref=globalhome"
target="_blank">www.NYTimes.com

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
Holographic storage really isn't something "new" it has been around for quite a while however the equipment has been unfeasible for private use. IIRC the cost of the equipment to read and write to a holographic storage medium in 2000-2001 was around $200k.

It is nice to see progress being made on this though, although 2011 sounds a bit early still and I have doubts about it being ready at that time.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
i could have sworn a fellow Escapist did a post on this. anyways its going to come down to cost. if its expensive then it might not catch on.

Nov 5, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/02/pioneer-shows-off-16-layer-400gb-blu-ray-disc-affirms-compatibi/

But I must say, how the hell are studios gonna make enough content to require those things? Heavy Rain only uses 50 Gigs, and it has taken some combined 200 years of work (from multiple people, obviously).
Don't underestimated Kojima.

Ionami

Aug 21, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/02/pioneer-shows-off-16-layer-400gb-blu-ray-disc-affirms-compatibi/

But I must say, how the hell are studios gonna make enough content to require those things? Heavy Rain only uses 50 Gigs, and it has taken some combined 200 years of work (from multiple people, obviously).
How exactly did it take 200 years? I don't understand...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Ionami said:
Indigo_Dingo said:

Probably means "man-hours." If you have 5 people working for 10 hours on a project, then you can say it took a combined 50 man-hours to complete.

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
By 2011 this will be extremely outdated. Everything will be downloaded off the internet... anything that makes you get up off the couch and swap discs will be seen as archaic in the extreme.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Sounds interesting...though I'd hate to have Arnold Schwarznegger's gun in my face whilst watching an updated version of terminator. I'd find it rather intimidating!

Ionami

Aug 21, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Ionami said:
Indigo_Dingo said:

Probably means "man-hours." If you have 5 people working for 10 hours on a project, then you can say it took a combined 50 man-hours to complete.
Oh right, of course.

I got confused by his phrasing.

That's a hell of a lot of hard work then, can't wait to see the final product.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
If this means movies could become more interactive (Like those 3d films where characters interact with the audience in themeparks like Disneyland) then I'm all for it. I'd love to see what effects could be added to make films more immersive.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Exoskeletons? Glowing puppies? Holograms?!
The future looks kickass.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
SharedProphet said:
By 2011 this will be extremely outdated. Everything will be downloaded off the internet... anything that makes you get up off the couch and swap discs will be seen as archaic in the extreme.
The Internet is far too flawed in terms of the amount of data its backbones can support for what you say to become possible.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Erana said:
Exoskeletons? Glowing puppies? Holograms?!
The future looks kickass.
These aren't the "visual display" kind of holograms. Which is sad. But still: more storage = yay!