Tekken 6 Coming to PSP

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Tekken 6 Coming to PSP

Good news for gamers hoping to punch bears and teenage girls while on the go: Alongside its PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 iterations, Tekken 6 is coming to the PSP.

The handheld version is scheduled to launch alongside its console counterparts, according to IGN [http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/977/977050p1.html].

Alongside the content included in the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions, the portable Tekken 6 is said to include "additional stages, content, items, and an ad-hoc multiplayer mode using original and fan favorite characters."

Additionally, like the PSP's Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, T6 will include a "Ghost" mode that allows players to upload their player data to servers and download that of prospective opponents.

Publisher Namco Bandai has not confirmed if this "Ghost" mode will be in lieu of actual online multiplayer gameplay (as was the case with T5:DR) or if T6 will also include online fighting.

Given the unreliable online connectivity of a mobile device, I wouldn't be surprised to see Namco Bandai opted for the former route, though expect much angry gnashing of teeth and impotent death threats from angry teenagers if and when such information is unveiled.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Ok wait ... just hold on a sec ... Killzone: Liberation, Syphon Filter, SOCOM!!!! and Battlefront, all of them, the multiplayer worked just freaking fine! Although, MP is not really the selling point of a handheld games, the ghost system itself is relatively satisfying, in fact, i'm putting my T5 umd in my psp at the moment. Time to ... uh ... punch a bear with a school girl.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Bear punching: almost as fun as baby punching.

Now that that's out of the way, I like the characters from Tekken so this will be a nice twist on things. I'm slowly getting more reasons to buy a PSP, though perhaps I shall wait for the next generation.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
Given the unreliable online connectivity of a mobile device, I wouldn't be surprised to see Namco Bandai opted for the former route, though expect much angry gnashing of teeth and impotent death threats from angry teenagers if and when such information is unveiled.
That part made me laugh so hard. Bad connectivity? Thats less the hardware's fault and more the games actually. There are only a tiny few games where I have ever heard complaints about bad multiplayer connectivity...and they tend to be the sucky games anyways.

That aside, great news for Tekken fans I guess. Tekken has never been my fighting games but hey they are still pretty good. Now hurry up and give me a freaking release date on Dissidia!!

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
scotth266 said:

Now that that's out of the way, I like the characters from Tekken so this will be a nice twist on things. I'm slowly getting more reasons to buy a PSP, though perhaps I shall wait for the next generation.
If the rumored PSP2 will have backward compatibility (as in, can still read PSP UMDs) and of course, the dlc-only content, I think it will be really neat to wait for it, as there is also a Soul Calibur game on the way for the PSP.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
cainx10a said:
scotth266 said:

If the rumored PSP2 will have backward compatibility (as in, can still read PSP UMDs) and of course, the dlc-only content, I think it will be really neat to wait for it, as there is also a Soul Calibur game on the way for the PSP.
WHERE DID YOU HEAR OF SOUL CALIBUR!?! ME WANTZ!!

that aside...I really hope these damn PSP2 rumors will finally be debunked at E3, and I hope it was all a big fat lie...or at least some of the fabled features it would have. I don't want a new gen PSP, not when the current one still has tones of life in it with many years left of life. I bet anything the closest to a PSP2 they will show it a PSP-4000 model.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Soul Calibur - http://www.gamespot.com/psp/index.html?tag=nav-top;psp&navclk=psp

Even, Fate/Unlimited - http://www.gamespot.com/news/6208711.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;3

Like someone said, looks like some developers remembered about the PSP in 2009 :)

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
-Seraph- said:
That part made me laugh so hard. Bad connectivity? Thats less the hardware's fault and more the games actually.
Actually it's more a result of the device not being stationary. It's a bit more difficult to maintain the low pings necessary for online fighting games when your customers are wandering around, than if they're attached to a suitcase-sized console.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Seeing those soul calibur screens made my jaw drop..just so damn awesome. Glad it's coming this summer too, now that and Dissidia are two fighting games I am looking forward to...or give a damn about. Now if they announced a new Killer Instinct game (PSP or not) I will be one happy man.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
BEAR BLASTING: The sport you'll invent because you'll be TOO ENERGETIC FOR NORMAL SPORTS!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Thank god it's coming to PSP so I can focus on getting that first and not the PS3 (Which I refuse to buy until the price comes down or until I'm rich, or they package it with a 360 and a new computer.)

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
So if it's on the PSP will it also show up on the remaining home consoles? Then again the part of Tekken 5 I liked the most was that crappy 3d beat 'em up minigame so I'm not sure why I even bother asking about Tekken 6...

I III II X4

Nov 14, 2008
Griever18 said:
BEAR BLASTING: The sport you'll invent because you'll be TOO ENERGETIC FOR NORMAL SPORTS!!
...and the bears are from KENYA!!

Anyway, the only Tekken game I played was a long time ago in the PX arcade, I was playing as a large, wooden puppet...that's all I remember, seriously.

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
cainx10a said:
Soul Calibur - http://www.gamespot.com/psp/index.html?tag=nav-top;psp&navclk=psp

Even, Fate/Unlimited - http://www.gamespot.com/news/6208711.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;3

Like someone said, looks like some developers remembered about the PSP in 2009 :)
Ooo me want both, especially Fate/Unlimited

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
KDR_11k said:
So if it's on the PSP will it also show up on the remaining home consoles?
Yes, it's already been confirmed on both the PS3 and the 360.

The idea of a portable fighter sounds awesome but not having proper wifi play pretty much makes them useless.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Woe Is You said:
KDR_11k said:

The idea of a portable fighter sounds awesome but not having proper wifi play pretty much makes them useless.
I meant the PS2 and Wii with remaining. After all they can't claim the game's too demanding to run on those if it runs fine on the PSP.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
KDR_11k said:
Woe Is You said:
KDR_11k said:

I meant the PS2 and Wii with remaining. After all they can't claim the game's too demanding to run on those if it runs fine on the PSP.
The Wii never had a Tekken game on before, and seriously, Sony NEEDS to let the PS2 die. Focus on the PSP and PS3. Killer Combo. Now, just need money for a PS3 ;(