Scientists Revive Dormant, HIV-Fighting Genes

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Scientists Revive Dormant, HIV-Fighting Genes

Reassuring both scientists and new age hippies, recent discoveries in the field of genetics seem to indicate that our own bodies are the most potent weapon in the fight against HIV.

Specifically, scientists have discovered long-dormant genes that they believe would be able to make the human genome resistant to Human Immunodeficiency Virus, if only they were still functional.

Dubbed "junk DNA," these fragments were long ago rendered useless during the normal course of human evolution, for reasons ranging from the theoretical inefficiency of humans with giant bat wings to simple mutations in the way our cells process energy.

A group of scientists [http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.1000095] noticed that our simian ancestors expressed a protein called retrocyclin that essentially renders them immune to HIV. Hoping to find a way to introduce the same immunity to humans, the group discovered that we too had the same genetic ability to create retrocyclin, but that it was turned into junk DNA long ago for no discernable reason.

So how did the scientists attempt to "reawaken" the junk DNA? Using a compound called aminoglycoside, the group intentionally introduced errors in the way the RNA encodes the human genetic structure, creating a copy in which the junk DNA is no longer non-functional. As they'd hoped, the reawakened genes were able to create retrocyclin and fend of HIV in a group of test cells.

If all goes well, the scientists hope this research could lead to an actual HIV/AIDS vaccine, though even under the best circumstances that could be years, if not decades, away.

Normally this is where I'd explain how this research will almost certainly kill us all in the next few years, but unless you're a being comprised entirely of the AIDS virus, this is a very cool discovery.

And if you are a sentient AIDS creature, well ... ew.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
...I want to be happy, but I...
Actually, I can't even share my honest opinion on this without getting banned.
Sometimes it really sucks to be an extremist.

Anyway, if nothing else, this is a good day for science.
And for that, I will rejoice.
Why do I get the idea you're a member of Delphi? (from Trauma Center, in case you didn't know)

Jul 9, 2008
Lord_Ascendant said:
.......this is so groundbreaking and awesome I can't even find words to describe it other than WOW
Took the words out of my mouth.

Lets just hope that the side effect of reawakening this gene doesn't turn the part of our DNA immune to the Black Death into junk DNA though (no basis for me to think that would happen, it would just be ironic).

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
This is how every zombie related game begins.

But if it works, I'm going to invest my life savings in a nation wide chain of bathouses.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Don't celebrate yet. Soon AIDS may no longer be a problem, but there is always the threat of super AIDS.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Really most STD's such as HIV could have completely been avoided in America if people decided that they wouldn't screw around with people older then them. Just one generation decide that maybe i could try getting a partner from my own age group.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
orannis62 said:
Lord_Ascendant said:
.......this is so groundbreaking and awesome I can't even find words to describe it other than WOW
Took the words out of my mouth.

Lets just hope that the side effect of reawakening this gene doesn't turn the part of our DNA immune to the Black Death into junk DNA though (no basis for me to think that would happen, it would just be ironic).
Well with the power of SCIENCE we can make sure this doesn't happen.

Ah science. From glowing puppies to a cure for AIDS. Now if only science would make that pesky swine flu go away.

Fingerprint

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2008
+1 for science. Awesome.

My theory about the gene being debunked is it probably became unnecessary when Humans became geographically separated from other primates; as the disease disappeared so did the gene's usefulness, hence it became redundant.

Also as a side note, the process for "reawakening" the gene is surprisingly simple*. The body uses RNA to replicate DNA all the time. The praise though, should be heaped on for actually finding the gene. Wow.

*I'm fairly sure its the same process, though I may be wrong.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Don't celebrate yet. Soon AIDS may no longer be a problem, but there is always the threat of super AIDS.
Shhhh! Don't say that out loud. That'll only speed up its awakening...

Anyway, this is the greatest bit of scientific news I've heard since the made that special chemical that regrows limbs.