TGC 2009: Dr. Michael Capps Keynote

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
TGC 2009 Keynote: Mike Capps: Epic Is(n't) About Pop-Tarts

"What Makes Us Epic?" That was the question that Epic President Dr. Mike Capps posed for his keynote at TGC '09. The answer? Give talented people near-impossible tasks to do, but don't give them Pop-Tarts.

Read Full Article

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
We do not have nearly enough Pop-Tarts at The Escapist. Dammit, how can I possibly be expected to do my job with no Pop-Tarts? Hell, I don't think we even have Toaster Strudel.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
That's nice but why didn't they release Gears of War here? They talked big about artistic integrity but had no problem censoring UT3 and that was on a platform where you're still allowed to sell your game if it gets rated the local equivalent of AO.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
KDR_11k said:
That's nice but why didn't they release Gears of War here? They talked big about artistic integrity but had no problem censoring UT3 and that was on a platform where you're still allowed to sell your game if it gets rated the local equivalent of AO.
Where is "here"?

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
KDR_11k said:
Where is "here"?
Germany. From what I gather they were refused a rating on Gears (means the game has the potential to get indexed, i.e. can only be sold below the counter and all three console manufacturers block games that get a rating refused like they block AO rated games) and unlike every single other game they have made they suddently decided that censoring is against their artistic vision or something and simply refused to release the game (then went on to say GoW is not about violence but "loss and redemption") despite GoW being probably easier to cut down since AFAIK it's not a game about killing humans while UT and the like were.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
KDR_11k said:
Germany. From what I gather they were refused a rating on Gears ...
I think you answered your own question. Blame your politicians.

Now, if you're asking why they didn't go out of their way to create a special Germany-only version of the game, that's probably a better question for the publisher. Although Epic developed the Gears of War games, Microsoft is the one handling their production and distribution, which would also include what regions the game is localized for.

I'd guess that they thought it wouldn't be profitable to make a special version of the game for Germany (or that doing something else instead would be more profitable). That's what the decisions like that usually come down to.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Virgil said:
KDR_11k said:
Germany. From what I gather they were refused a rating on Gears ...
I think you answered your own question. Blame your politicians.

Now, if you're asking why they didn't go out of their way to create a special Germany-only version of the game, that's probably a better question for the publisher. Although Epic developed the Gears of War games, Microsoft is the one handling their production and distribution, which would also include what regions the game is localized for.

I'd guess that they thought it wouldn't be profitable to make a special version of the game for Germany (or that doing something else instead would be more profitable). That's what the decisions like that usually come down to.
The only reason I can imagine for censoring UT3 but not GoW is that the 360 flopped so hard in this country (then again maybe blocking all the important exclusives may have had a role in that) that GoW was expected to sell worse than a PC game.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
KDR_11k said:
The only reason I can imagine for censoring UT3 but not GoW is that the 360 flopped so hard in this country (then again maybe blocking all the important exclusives may have had a role in that) that GoW was expected to sell worse than a PC game.
One thing to keep in mind is that, unlike Gears of War, Epic does control what happens to Unreal Tournament. They control the property far more than the publisher does. A localization that doesn't make sense for Microsoft might make a lot more sense for Epic and Midway.

Also, I'm betting that Unreal Tournament is a lot easier to localize than Gears of War. I wouldn't exactly consider UT as being very heavy on the plot or dialogue.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Virgil said:
Also, I'm betting that Unreal Tournament is a lot easier to localize than Gears of War. I wouldn't exactly consider UT as being very heavy on the plot or dialogue.
Eh, story localization is probably not the issue. They specifically said they won't tone down the violence because of some "artistic vision" bullshit.

Mike Capps

The Good Doctor
Jan 11, 2008
@KDR_11K: For UT3, it's pretty easy to make all the bad guys robots who don't bleed, so we did that. We had no interest in removing major gameplay features from Gears of War (chainsaw kills, hostage taking, etc.) from Gears of War for any reason. Euros are nice, but staying true to your artistic integrity and making the game you want to make is even nicer.

@KDR_11K: Okay, really, "artistic vision bullshit"? What other reason is there to play our game except to experience that "bullshit"? That's all a game is, an experience we've created to share our vision, that we hope people will enjoy.

@Tenmar: Wow, that's a pretty complex question, and it's difficult to answer. It's so situational -- there's not always a clear path for advancement, right? Epic, for example, is very flat. If someone wants a leadership opportunity, the opportunities come up quite rarely. Thus other rewards for volunteerism and high productivity become more important. A poor manager can make that process really painful, by not mentioning the efforts of a strong performer, not wanting to lose them to a different department/position, etc. We don't increase base wages for standout employees, because our salaries are tied directly to market forces and their experience. That works for us because bonus income is significant, so we can use that to distinguish by merit. For employers without non-salary income, absolutely, you want to pay people what they're worth *to you*, not what they're worth to someone else.

For example, nothing makes me madder than, when we make someone an offer, the company making a counter-offer. That's saying, basically, "Well, you were worth a lot more money than we were paying you all that time, and that was awesome! For us. But now we can't get away with it any longer, so, um, you want a raise?" Bleh!

I bet you know the basic answer, and maybe you just need to hear it again, so I'll oblige. If you're working somewhere that doesn't notice your volunteerism, extra effort, higher productivity, etc. and you don't see a path upwards, you have two choices:
1) Go someplace else, which involves taking a risk.
2) Stay there, because it's stable, your friends are there, etc.

The trick is, with #1, you might not necessarily seem the same financial situation, but you will likely be happier. With #2, the hidden risk is that you'll slowly lose your volunteerism and extra effort, as you spend more time with a bunch of "why bother" people. And it's really, really hard to get it back...

-mike

PS Escapist Rules KTHXBYE

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
KDR_11k said:
Virgil said:
Eh, story localization is probably not the issue. They specifically said they won't tone down the violence because of some "artistic vision" bullshit.
Nope, not the story. It's the human on human violence that makes this one tough. Yes, it's in UT, but the nature of the gameplay makes it a lot easier to change.

I guess the locust are too close to humans and changing that would be too damaging to the storyline, gameplay ... pretty much everything.

Tenmar said:
What should the employee with the volunteer attitude who makes the most of his hours doing his job and goes beyond but not get anywhere?
That is a rough situation, but what Mike says above is true: You have two choices. Sucks, but it's true, make a change, sacrifice stability and the known for a chance at a happier situation.

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
Holy crap, I did a triple take at the end of the scroll of the wall of plaques...Extreme Pinball is STILL one of my favorite pinball games of all time! I don't think I ever made the connection that Epic made it back in the day.