EA Unveils New Army of Two: The 40th Day Teaser

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
EA Unveils New Army of Two: The 40th Day Teaser

Fans of explosions, unexpected references to the Wu-Tang Clan and dudes who are totally, definitely just friends rejoice! EA has unveiled a new teaser from the upcoming Army of Two: The 40th Day.

Despite being characterized as entirely "in-game footage," the clip is a bit short on actual gameplay, though it does manage to depict the game's new Chinese locale. Say what you will about the series' characters (and the likelihood that they occasionally smooch each other), but developer EA Montreal knows how to craft a detailed, vibrant world.

Which, of course, then detonates with enough virtual force to make Michael Bay wet himself.

While I wasn't a huge fan of the original Army of Two -- in a sea of generic shooters, its only notable characteristics were easily insulted protagonists and the dubious ability to pimp your assault rifle -- I have hopes that the sequel can amend the original's flaws.

Army of Two: The 40th Day hits stores in "Winter 2009."

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Hmm, does anyone else think the graphics look a bit lacking? I'm not expecting crysis levels here but come on!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Ugh, that trailer with gameplay footage was aweful if I do say so myself. Obviously they're not done with the game, sure, but the animations were sketchy and the visuals weren't exactly a pleasure to look at.

HOWEVER, I'm being overly skeptical on the trailer alone, I'll most likely borrow this from a friend.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
NoMoreSanity said:
I'm skepitcal as I hear they are removing the awesome Aggro system.
Heresy!

I was expecting the original to blow goats, so I was happily surprised when it was a fun, silly, 80's action movie romp made digital.

But the aggro system was one of the things that stood out from other 3ps games, (that and the way it handled cover as a context sensitive matter, you crouch next to a wall and press fire and you blindfire over it, no snap to cover button, no locking you in to cover until you press a button, it just happens by itself, and happens as seamlessly as in any other shooting game I've played)

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Errr... Ok? It seems nice enough I suppose. I hope that the graphics get tweaked a bit, they look kind of odd somehow.

quack35

Sep 1, 2008
Hmm. Another one?

I haven't played the original Army of Two.

Was it even good?

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
sneakypenguin said:
Hmm, does anyone else think the graphics look a bit lacking? I'm not expecting crysis levels here but come on!
Totally. What was up with that? The last AoT didn't look that bad.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
The Shade said:
sneakypenguin said:
Mmm. It definitely needs some graphical improvements. Also, did anyone notice that this is going to be on the PSP?

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Somehow it looked more interesting before the protagonists showed up but that may have been because with protagonists around you can't just make the screen explode all the time.

The Shade said:
sneakypenguin said:
It's still in development, maybe they weren't done with all the effects. There was also some framerate dropping, I guess they'll fix that later on too.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I just don't see what is so special about this game. Or Haze for that matter.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Psychosocial said:
Sevre90210 said:
I just don't see what is so special about this game. Or Haze for that matter.
I hope that wasn't meant as a comparison between the two..

The deal with Army of Two was the huge amount of things that really required you to co-op to do, just take the flanking, that was really cool when you did it with a friend. The AI just got shot down all of the god damn time instead.
Oh so it's better in co-op? Makes sense.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
That looked okay, but the graphics could use a tune up I think.
The first was a good game to play co-op. I couldn't even try it on single player. Ugh... The friendly AI...

I hope they take the pimping out your weapons ability; that truly was an awful idea...

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
Looks pretty decent, got the first one when it dropped to about a tenner so this will be the same.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Psychosocial said:
quack35 said:
Hmm. Another one?

I haven't played the original Army of Two.

Was it even good?
Not unless you have friends.
Or if you'd played Gears of War, because it was basically that with the chainsaw removed, a modern skin put on, and all the fun surgically removed.