Final Fantasy IV Sequel Coming To WiiWare

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Final Fantasy IV Sequel Coming To WiiWare

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, an episodic sequel to Final Fantasy IV, is coming to WiiWare in nine separate episodes.

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89797], an episodic sequel to Final Fantasy IV originally released on mobile phones in Japan, has been officially revealed by Square-Enix. The series will be released in nine separate episodes on Nintendo's WiiWare service.

Taking place "many years" since the end of Final Fantasy IV, the series begins with FFIV protagonists Cecil and Rosa living peacefully with their son, Prince Ceodore, when the "Lunarian Moon" appears in the sky and the world is thrown into turmoil as monsters appear. Saving of the day commences, with FFIV characters showing up left and right along the way.

Gameplay will be traditional 2D Final Fantasy RPG style, with a couple twists. There's something called the "Band System," which is a combination attack that lets two or more characters do one powerful attack in exchange for MP from all the characters involved. "They can be learned by searching for them during battle," says Square, so I'm guessing some mix-and-match trial-and-error's involved here.

Also new in battles is the element of the moon, as each moon phase "alters the physical and magical attack powers for both player characters and enemies, forcing the player to change battle strategies."

And, most interestingly, the product information for the game lists that it supports up from 1-4 players. Multiplayer battles, maybe?

No word on release dates or how many episodes will be out at once, but the After Years official site lists three entries under the "Tales" section, with each entry seemingly providing a synopsis of an episode, so I'm wagering we'll see the series launch with the first third of its story available.

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years was originally rumored [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89008-Final-Fantasy-IV-Sequel-Coming-To-XBLA] for Xbox Live Arcade, but according to Square, it'll be available "only" on WiiWare.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
*sigh*

I weep for you, my sweet Final Fantasy. For you have contracted FF7 syndrome.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Hey, Squeenix, whatever happened to that other Final Fantasy game with the X in front of the IV?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Lunarian Moon. Seriously?

Do they combat it by summoning the Solarian Sun?

Oh wait. SPOILERS. Ugh.

Erana said:
Hey, Squeenix, whatever happened to that other Final Fantasy game with the X in front of the IV?
They need to finish the one with the X and three I's first.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Tenmar said:
Let this game be put as an example as to WHY there shouldn't be a sequal to Final fantasy games. Namely Final Fantasy VII.

EDIT: Sidebar. Is it just me or has Square-enix really been releasing a lot of games using wiiware?

Space invaders strike back
A defender like game
and now Final fantasy 4 sequal.

Crazy isn't it? Square-enix doing things under the radar for being called rpg makers only now.
S-E is trying to get rid of the image of a single genre company AFAIK.

They also made FFCC My Life As A King and announced the sequel FFCC My Life As A Dark Lord. BTW, Crystal Defenders is a Tower Defense clone, not a Defender clone (Defender is an ancient sidescrolling shmup).

I wonder how they'll handle pricing on these episodes, AFAIK the minimum price on WiiWare is 500 points, at nine eps that would come out at 45€ for the full game, even a retail DS game is cheaper. Maybe they'll reduce the number of episodes? Or maybe they'll make the later eps DLC as with SIGE? Thern again I wouldn't put it past them to charge an insane price...

Either way I think I'm more interested in Crystal Bearers than a sequel to an FF I have yet to play.

tenlong

Apr 26, 2009
so they most likely gonna want 45 dollars for a that shouldn't be more than than around 30 $ nintendo's pricing policy is bs. they want 5 bucks for the nes version of dig dug yet ms sells the better arcade version for $ 2.50 . come on! i generally happy with the vc pricing. but when nintendo is more greedy with their pricing than than ms.[which suprised me because ms is known for their greed.] ms is general more expensive. the ms pricing ranges from around 2 to 20 bucks. why can't nintendo do this. are they gonna go out of bussiness over losing 3 bucks. they could prove me wrong. some games are not worth 5 bucks. they want 5 bucks for a game like mario bros. i walk down the street someone hands a copy of mario bros. i open my window someone throws me a copy of mario bros. why would pay 5 bucks for it. if they were selling it for 2 to 2.50 bucks that would be a reasonable.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
*facepalm*
*Grabs wombat and facepalms self with it*

Ok, I've never played FF4. But having the sequel come out only for WiiWare? NO. JUST NO.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Quaidis said:
LeonHellsvite said:
good thing i finished this on a rom a while back >.>
How was it?
It was okay, It sure as hell didn't live up to ffIV though >.>

though i didnt like the "return" of my favorite character

Kains darkside it wasnt kain that pissed me off.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
LeonHellsvite said:
Quaidis said:
LeonHellsvite said:
good thing i finished this on a rom a while back >.>
How was it?
It was okay, It sure as hell didn't live up to ffIV though >.>

though i didnt like the "return" of my favorite character

Kains darkside it wasnt kain that pissed me off.
Ignoring the return of 'your favorite character who shall remain nameless right now' and the first game, would it be alright to play as a stand-alone? Is it a passable rpg?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Damnit, a full sequel or bust people, and make it for the only console out there that currently HAS Final Fantasy 4 on it (DS for the slower people).
Actually FF 2/4 has been on, SNES, PS, GBA, and DS.