Atari Emulation: Better By Being Worse

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Atari Emulation: Better By Being Worse

A group of students at the Atari VCS [http://www.gatech.edu/] games - by making it worse.

Kids these days wouldn't know an old-school videogame if it smacked them in the head with a one-button paddle. The closest most of them will get to playing those old classics is through emulated versions on PCs, but because of the vast improvement in technology between then and now, the full experience isn't quite there. The problem is simple: LCD displays generate sharp, bright images with no ghosting, color bleeding or other quirks that make the picture look like crap and the real feeling of gaming in the '70s come alive.

Thus it was that students at Georgia Tech made modifications to Stella [http://stella.sourceforge.net/], a "multi-platform Atari 2600 VCS emulator," adding settings for "CRT behaviors" including textures, afterimages, color bleed and noise. The changes will be patched into the open-source emulator as configurable options, allowing players to enable or disable them as they see fit. The creators have placed the code into Stella's repository and say they're hopeful the software can be put to use in emulators for other television-based systems.

"The results are, to my eyes, fantastic," Ian Bogost wrote in the Georgia Tech Digital Lounge [http://www.digitallounge.gatech.edu/gaming/index.html?id=2824]. "The results in a live game are far more remarkable. Edward [Booth] and his colleagues have done a fantastic job."

As someone who played, although never owned (thanks for nothing, mom) an Atari 2600 back in the day, I can attest to the fact that a certain amount of the magic resulted from doing such amazingly advanced things on such horribly primitive equipment. These days we take high-definition textures, flawless colors and massive flat-screen displays for granted but in that pioneering era there was an unshakable sense of wonder that any of it worked at all. It may be hard to see these changes as improvements but the experience they offer will be closer to the real deal than ever before.

via: Slashdot [http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/30/163228&from=rss]

oshin

Apr 25, 2008
Finally ! I can save a fortune on vasaline to smear on my screen / eyeballs to get that authentic 80s feel. To complete the feel however I feel they need to add some hissy sound, a 15 minute loading time, and the whirring of a tape deck, or heavy clunk of a floppy disk drive to get the feel just right. A cherry click keyboard or rubber keyboard would also be a must !

FistsOfTinsel

Jun 23, 2008
Don't forget the simulated woodgrain plastic case.

And Pac Man always looked like ass, even on the original equipment. What an abomination.

Eskay

Sep 2, 2007
Nostalgia is an eerily powerful thing. Even the 'flaws' of a game become highlights.

Still its the flaws that makes things wonderful. The man to first make champagne lamented he couldn't get the bubbles out of his wine.

ukslim

Sep 27, 2007
As you'll see from the article itself, game developers on the VCS used the foibles of RF TV in their design. For example, on a sharp hi-res monitor, the coarse design on either side of their tanks looked nothing like caterpillar tracks. With the blurring and ghosting of the display tech of the time, it was closer.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I'm all for saying that graphics don't make the game. Or that older games are still good. But this is just crazy.

Focusing on making the graphics worse to, "make the game better", is just as bad as many big companys do by focusing on making the graphics better. Just the reverse side of the coin.

Insted of focusing on graphics lets turn the focus to gameplay.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Not really. The idea here isn't to improve the gameplay, or really to affect it at all. It's to maximize the authenticity of the experience. If you want to play "good" Pac-Man there are numerous high-quality options, but if you want the Atari 2600 Pac-Man experience - in all its horrible glory - then you need to play it as it was played back then, with all the attendant crappy image issues.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Malygris said:
Not really. The idea here isn't to improve the gameplay, or really to affect it at all. It's to maximize the authenticity of the experience. If you want to play "good" Pac-Man there are numerous high-quality options, but if you want the Atari 2600 Pac-Man experience - in all its horrible glory - then you need to play it as it was played back then, with all the attendant crappy image issues.
OK, but thats still only pandering to nostalgia.

It's like how they did MM9 in old 8-bit. Don't get me wrong the game is great, but there's no reason they coulden't have up'd the graphics without altering the gameplay.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
I see what you're saying but I wouldn't agree that it's pandering to nostalgia. I think it's preserving the authenticity (there's that word again) of gameplay experiences of the 1970s. Emulated Yar's Revenge on current equipment isn't Yar's Revenge as it was experienced on the 2600. Close, but incomplete. And again, improving the graphics (or changing the game in any way, really) alters the game and essentially defeats the purpose of playing Atari games on an emulator.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Malygris said:
I see what you're saying but I wouldn't agree that it's pandering to nostalgia. I think it's preserving the authenticity (there's that word again) of gameplay experiences of the 1970s. Emulated Yar's Revenge on current equipment isn't Yar's Revenge as it was experienced on the 2600. Close, but incomplete. And again, improving the graphics (or changing the game in any way, really) alters the game and essentially defeats the purpose of playing Atari games on an emulator.
What you're describing really is pandering to nostalgia though. But of course that's at least 90% of what emulation has always been about anyway, so that's not a bad thing.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
It's all in good fun until Atari decieds these FILFTHY EMULATION PIRATES are cutting into their Pac-Man money! Just like Zelda! yeah! Down with the emulation pirates! /sarcasm

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
I'm all for saying that graphics don't make the game. Or that older games are still good. But this is just crazy.

Focusing on making the graphics worse to, "make the game better", is just as bad as many big companys do by focusing on making the graphics better. Just the reverse side of the coin.

Insted of focusing on graphics lets turn the focus to gameplay.
Try as I might, I'm not really seeing what you're complaining about here. This is a fan project made by a bunch of students. Furthermore, it's an emulator. The whole purpose of an emulator is to... well, have as identical an experience as possible without the actual hardware. Nobody is saying the game is going to be better, more like the emulation is "better" since we get to experience what it was like playing with really crap TVs (again, if you're old enough).

As for MM9, well... ask yourself. How many people who hadn't played the original Mega Man games were ever going to touch MM9 to begin with? It's not just the graphics that are old, it's that the entire design of the game is a throwback to the 80s. If you have a problem with the graphics, you're probably going to have a problem with the entire game as a result. Might as well go all the way, then.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
This is awesomely strange. Hooray for emulation! At least, the kind that won't get me arrested!

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I'll probably just end up buying an Atari, you can get a working 2600 for under 30 quid.
Plus if I get sick of it I'll just turn it into a toaster or something :)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Ehh...Well, I'm not likely to go back to an emulator for Atari 2600 games. After all, I grew up on the PS1. I try not to reach much further back in time, unless a port of something good comes out.