Discovery Kids, Transform And Roll Out!

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Discovery Kids, Transform And Roll Out!

Discovery Kids is getting a massive overhaul, as its owners enter into a major deal with Hasbro.

Discovery Communication, the company that owns the various Discovery channels, has entered into a deal with Hasbro to create a new, as yet unnamed television channel.

Hasbro is the company that owns the Transformers and G.I.JOE franchises, as well as Wizards of the Coast, who own Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering. The only catch is that Discovery Kids has to die so that this new channel can be born.

The deal was announced on Thursday in a press release on the Discovery website, which outlined the new channels goals:

Both the network and the venture's online component will feature content from Hasbro's rich portfolio of entertainment and educational properties built over the past 90 years, including original programming for animation, game shows, and live-action series and specials. New programming will be based on brands such as ROMPER ROOM, TRIVIAL PURSUIT, SCRABBLE, CRANIUM, MY LITTLE PONY, G.I. JOE, GAME OF LIFE, TONKA and TRANSFORMERS, among many others.
When I was a kid I'd have given my right arm for a Transformers TV channel. Hell, who am I kidding, I'd still give my right arm for a Transformers TV channel, but not everyone is so keen.

Susan Linn, the director of the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood, had this to say about the deal: "This partnership represents a new low in children's television, a network devoted to showing infomercials for Hasbro's toys and games. It will make a mockery of existing ad limits and the current prohibition of product placement in children's television."

I must admit, as much as the prospect of 'Transformers TV' hits me right in the nostalgia zone, Ms Linn does kinda have a point.

Source: io9 [http://io9.com/5237190/your-kids-tv-future-is-transformers]

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Transformers was basically one Giant ad. They just brought out more and more characters so you'd buy new toys, and it worked (on me at least); sort of a Pokemon strategy (except they did it first).

Aperama

Oct 19, 2008
Hold on. Hold on. I think all of you have missed the point.

'New programming will be established based on ... SCRABBLE, TRIVIAL PURSUIT ...'

Who in their right mind would want to watch a TV show based on Scrabble?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Aperama said:

'New programming will be established based on ... SCRABBLE, TRIVIAL PURSUIT ...'

But, But... It's Scrabulous!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Cousin_IT said:
I fail to see the educational value of this new channel
What the hell are they thinking?
And what the hell is wrong with the bodies? I know their machines, but the small size of their heads relative to the size of their bodies is mad!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Aperama said:

But, But... It's Scrabulous!
Now-now... Would 'Scrabulous' be accepted in Scrabble? Be true to the spirit man!

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Then again, Discovery Channel teaming up with Hasbro has a certain appeal to me. Four words:
Transformers meet The Mythbusters.
It'd be a short lived series, as the Mythbusters pointed out how the Transformers' feet couldn't possibly support their weight.

HillDragon

Apr 16, 2009
This is 'BEE-ESS', compleat and udder! Discovery Kids and Ready Set Learn (preschool) are of the few bastions of decent entertainment for my kids. Less adds than Noggin (Nick [their owner] is the new Disney), and Noggin is '"add free" preschool on t.v'; And the ONLY decent kids programing out side of PBS.

This is the way it runs:

Disney- Money grabbing childhood-whore of a network; Their web sites are ENTIRELY based around gaining my money.
Nick- Pretty much Disney jr.
Noggin- (Nick's Preschool channel) gone from decent educational programing to a Nick brain wash and recruitment facility. No lie/joke, they changed it on a psychological level. Their web site was designed to keep kids from wandering the net but changed ever so slightly to like to a nick jr site on every other click.
Qubo- decent preschool shows but underfunded and mixed with crap.
PBS- all around good stuffs most of the time, for preschool up to pre-teen.
Discovery kids- besides a push towards their 'reality' shows, ok pre-teen stuff.
Ready-set-Learn- Commercial free preschool entertainment. Not to big of a selection but very minimal crap.

All in all kids should NEVER have more then two hours of TV a day and if discovery Kids and RSL go bye bye ... so I guess it doesn't matter what kind of selection is out there, I you need to watch something with your kids deal with it. [ranted my-self into a corner there =D]

Just as a heads up though, this is what we lose if Ready set Learn is considered part Discovery kids

[a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqikhlUodC8"]Great Music (Taj ma hal [sp?])[/a]

[a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXjlmE4U1OE&feature=related"]and this guy =D[/a]

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
nilcypher said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Then again, Discovery Channel teaming up with Hasbro has a certain appeal to me. Four words:
Transformers meet The Mythbusters.
It'd be a short lived series, as the Mythbusters pointed out how the Transformers' feet couldn't possibly support their weight.
The Transofrmers would counter with how Jamies face couldn't possibly support his moustache.
Jamies Mustache would counter by turning into unicron and destroying the transformers. Then he would create Galvatron and go on to conquor the world.

Jamie wants big boom.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
Cousin_IT said:
I fail to see the educational value of this new channel
Have you seen cartoon networks so called 'children educational shows' dear god... They can't get worse then that. Hell, at least the orginal transformers dealth a bit with morales which can be considered eductional. ;)

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
If they make a Magic:The Gathering kid's show, I'll flip shit and punch the next under-twelve I see in the face and scream at him until he experiences life-lasting trauma.