Square Still Hates Europe With Final Fantasy XIII?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Square Still Hates Europe With Final Fantasy XIII?

Bad news for European Final Fantasy fans: It could take Square-Enix up to a year after its Japanese launch to release Final Fantasy XIII in the Old World.

When it comes to multi-market releases, few companies drop the ball as thoroughly as Square-Enix does - particularly when it comes to getting its products across the other pond to Europe. It took almost a year for Final Fantasy XII to see the light of day in the EU - March 16th, 2006 in Japan, February 23rd, 2007 in Europe - and unfortunately, it seems like that trend will continue.

Speaking with Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/fxiii_release_in_europe_sooner_than_a_year_after_japan.html], Producer Yoshinori Katase said that the company was aiming to minimize the time in between market releases. Traditionally, said Katase, games in the main numbered Final Fantasy series would see half of a year pass between their Japanese and US releases, and then another half-year before the game launched in Europe. For FF13, though, they were trying some things differently:

"For example we have already started recording English voices, and also the text localisation [sic] has been in progress, too. Normally we complete the Japanese version first, then move on to the US and EU versions, but this time there are some tasks that are happening simultaneously. So this time we're hoping to release sooner than a year later than the Japanese release."

"Sooner than a year," eh? Well, technically speaking, Final Fantasy XII's wait was less than a year, too - it was 344 days, but that's less than a year. At this point, with such a track record it's hard to give Square-Enix the benefit of the doubt. It can't really be blamed on having a ton of text to localize, either - Metal Gear Solid 4 managed a worldwide simultaneous release, and its plot was just as long, complex and convoluted - and just as dialogue-heavy and overwritten - as any Final Fantasy game. Either Konami's localization team has superpowers, or Squeenix just isn't trying hard enough.

Sorry, Katase-san, but I'll believe it when I see it.

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5240372/so-how-long-until-final-fantasy-xiii-is-out-in-europe])

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
Id rather wait a year and get a quality product rather than get a bad translation sooner

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
scarbunny said:
Id rather wait a year and get a quality product rather than get a bad translation sooner
Do you think MGS4 was poorly translated? It still managed a worldwide simultaneous release.

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
scarbunny said:
Do you think MGS4 was poorly translated? It still managed a worldwide simultaneous release.
My comment was more a general statment rather than implying MGS4 was badly translated, in fact I have not played it so I couldn't comment.

However I did think FFXII was very well done and personaly I think it was worth the 344 day wait, and I hope that FFXIII will also be worth the wait.

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
scarbunny said:
Some of the Japanese humour (first codec convo in Act 2) did NOT work well. Bordering on engrish.

Shinkada

Mar 4, 2008
There's a term I'm looking for here...

I'm pretty sure it's either 'Bahahahaha!' or the less subtle, 'Suck eggs!'

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
As long as the game's combat is good and the cutscenes are epic as usual then I don't mind waiting.

Also I heard from my friend that it's not being released on ps3, please tell me he is wrong so I can punch him.

jdnoth

Sep 3, 2008
Every time Square-Enix delays a Final Fantasy release in Europe, thousands of weaboos move to Japan.

So I'm actually ok with it.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
traceur_ said:
As long as the game's combat is good and the cutscenes are epic as usual then I don't mind waiting.

Also I heard from my friend that it's not being released on ps3, please tell me he is wrong so I can punch him.
Punch away. The thing is that it was originally exclusive to PS3, but now that's no longer the case. That's probably what he got it mixed up with.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I'm happy to wait if it means proper localisation, I've got plenty of other things to be doing in the meantime.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
WAIT !

The Japenese are getting it a COMPLETE YEAR EARLIER because they have the right voices

while the rest of us have to wait a COMPLETE YEAR because of voices !

It's times like these where i'm glad i never payed any attetion to the Final Fantasy Series

Psepha

Apr 3, 2009
Jesus, we're looking at potentially just under a YEAR here? For gods' sakes, can we just have it with subtitles and no european voices or something? Voices aren't worth a year, and cutting it down to just subtitling would be quicker. I'd put up with that.

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
Okay, I understand them having to work on French,German etc. version, but what the fuck is stopping them from releasing the US version in UK on Day One? Are they being bastards for the sake of it, or should I expect all the characters to be replaced by stereotypical British upper-class twits eating Crumpets and drinking Tea to restore HP/Mana all while speaking in Cockney rhyming slang?

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Little slip there Funk.

CantFaketheFunk said:
would see half of a year pass between their Japanese and US releases, and then another half-year before the game launched in Japan.
On topic, I'm really surprised. Most companies seem intent on global releases these days, that long just seems... sloppy.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Singing Gremlin said:
Little slip there Funk.

CantFaketheFunk said:
would see half of a year pass between their Japanese and US releases, and then another half-year before the game launched in Japan.
Time paradox MGS style!

Good thing that the Playstation Blu-Rays don't have regional codes anymore. I think I might just get it from the US then.